TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Bought a NES knockoff system

Has anyone bought one of these things? You can supposedly play your old NES game cartridges on them, however, My coverter is too loose and the game won't properly fit on the converter.

Now this is what the system looks like, so if anyone has one that works can they give me some pointers on what to try? I appreciate any help that I could get.

neoxbc1890901sw5.jpg

What's the point of buying an NES knockoff?

This may be a foreign concept to a software pirate like you, but just like there are people who actually buy current-gen games and play the original discs on their systems, there are people who actually still own 8/16-bit cart games and like to play them on a game system rather than on a pc.

Plus, the benefit to most of the knockoffs are that they're top loading, while the slot-loading original NES' design made it hard to properly seat cartridges eventually.

Anyway--the one I got was this one: http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...roducts_id=8542

However, that comes with a 220v (European) cable, not the 120v (US). However, if you have a spare NES plug you can just use that instead.

It worked very well for most games, but sadly--like all "NES on a chip" famiclones, it doesn't play Castlevania 3. So when I got my NES repaired and working I gave it away to a friend. So far it's holding up well from what I hear.

From that picture it doesn't even appear that the system you have has much room to even hold the cart securely (of course I'm aware that's just a sale page pic, not the actual one you have).

I still have every system I've ever owned, and they all work. Except for the Sega Saturn and my first PS2. But those were known for that at the times they blew up.

I'm just sayin', why buy one of these peices of shit when you can play the real games on a real NES.

The reason being is that NES's are very hard to find in this area of the country, and Andrew thanks for the link to that system.

The reason being is that NES's are very hard to find in this area of the country, and Andrew thanks for the link to that system.

No problemo. I know that they had a 120v model on sale there, but for some reason I can't even find a listing saying they're sold out.

However, like the one it appears you had, it doesn't take regular NES controllers. Generation NEXT does on the other hand, but's twice as much and also is less than perfect compatibility.

And no offense intended Neal--I'd just seen you bringing up burning up copies of games in other threads and thought your response was a smart-alecky response rather than a genuine question. However, I can't really vouch for the durability of any of the Famiclones I know of.

No problemo. I know that they had a 120v model on sale there, but for some reason I can't even find a listing saying they're sold out.

I see them all the time at yardsales, flea markets, pawn shops. And they have them set up to play, or if they don't already, then just ask them to hook it up.

Give it a test run on a few different games.

You can get an original NES with two controllers, the duckhunt gun and all the hook-ups if you just stay patient and shop around.

And damn near anywhere other then the gaming stores at the mall you can find tons of cool ass games for like 50cents to 2$ sometimes. I never pay more then 5 for a game, at yardsales and flea markets and shit, them old dudes will cut you a deal just to move some shit out.

However, like the one it appears you had, it doesn't take regular NES controllers. Generation NEXT does on the other hand, but's twice as much and also is less than perfect compatibility.

Which is why youse guys should take my advice, and be patient and hunt for one. That's part of the fun of wanting something like that, is the hunt.

And no offense intended Neal--I'd just seen you bringing up burning up copies of games in other threads and thought your response was a smart-alecky response rather than a genuine question. However, I can't really vouch for the durability of any of the Famiclones I know of.

None taken, man. You're my VG guy. Ya know? You're my guy. You've sold me on a DS Lite and about 6 games for different systems and they've all been good. And you always know what the fuck you're talking about when it comes to VGs.

The burning the games for the 360, I rent games from Netflix, play 'em a little, burn 'em and send them back. If I like the game enough to keep it, I buy it. It's like something I wished I could do with those gotdamn 3,2, sometimes 1~! day rentals back in the day.

Or you could always try this one, ive had for abit and it works great, it even plays Castlevania 3 :) anyways heres the link. PLus u could plug in your nes controllers.

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoNES.cat..product.22535.html

Guest ABOBO

How rare are the toploading NES again? I got one at a garage sale but really haven't seen them anywhere else.

they used to be pretty rare, used to sell for a good amount of bucks on ebay not sure how much they are now.... thou i remember i got mines from Game Trading Zone, that site was awesome. Its still around but its just not the same.

I picked up a Top Loader years ago on ebay, for about $80. I'm an NES collector so I wanted it for more than just working better, but it definitly does the job nicely. I'm not sure what they go for now a days or if all these knock offs have hurt their sales.

My sister has an original nes bought used at a game store. only got a few games with it (came with mario/duckhunt, but I dont have a lightgun, plsu a relative gave me some old games like Contra, Dragon Power, California Games, and Cabal) need to get some games.

man I wish I never sold my old nes and games back in 94 when I wa smoving to CA and wanted the money to put towards a super nes or genesis.

I did the same thing, sold my old NES and games in order to buy the SNES.

the sad thing is I never did get the snes, instead I used my store credit (about 60 bucks-yea I got 60 for a nes, 2 controllers, light gun and like 15 games in 1994) to buy some game boys games since I was moving

I did finally get a genesis for xmas 1995

Should I get on the phone and call Nintendo's Anti-Piracy Division?

Actually, some (but not all) of the NES patents are expired. So in theory it's 100% legal to make a system that plays NES games if it doesn't infringe on existing patents.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051111/boyd_01.shtml

Most "NES-on-a-chip" consoles--such as the Retrocon and most of the others, aren't 100% effective duplicates of the chipsets and are fine and dandy. Nintendo actually lost a suit in one of those cases.

So it's not as black-and-white as the band of gypsies at your local mall selling those 500-in-1 systems that resemble N64 controllers that plug into TVs (violating valid game copyrights), while down at the other end those same games are being sold through more legimate (though ridiculously overpriced) means.

I'd been trying to find a Tristar 64 (See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristar_64), but they're virtually impossible to find, and usually they're on ebay for higher prices than you'd except (nearing the triple digits). A nice compact console that would effectively play all my N64/SNES/and NES games would be fantastic, but sadly it probably wouldn't play those rare problematic NES games, and isn't 100% on SNES games. Oddly it plays Star Fox, despite it using the FX chip.