TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

So, with Jim Lampley in what could be serious trouble...who would be best to replace him on HBO?

His predecessor, Barry "How DO you like it?" Tompkins, is plenty busy at Fox. I dont think anyone from the BAD crew should be called up and Merchant cant do it by himself. Costas? Tim Ryan?

So, with Jim Lampley in what could be serious trouble...who would be best to replace him on HBO?

His predecessor, Barry "How DO you like it?" Tompkins, is plenty busy at Fox. I dont think anyone from the BAD crew should be called up and Merchant cant do it by himself. Costas? Tim Ryan?

They could get one of the few boxing commentators from ESPN seeing how rarely Friday Night Fights is on and they could always get one of The Alberts.

Well Max Kellerman has been doing HBO's Boxing After Dark telecasts, so they could bring him up to work with Merchant for awhile...I know a lot of people hate Kellerman, but I think it is mostly because he went from being a smaller-time boxing analyst to being over-exposed on ATH and IMAX. I still think he is good when he sticks to boxing gigs. Like most Boxing commentators, you can usually feel their love for the sport in their commentary, unlike a lot of other bigger named commentators in other sports on the big networks that are simply given the job because of who they are *cough*Chris Berman doing PBP for Baseball playoffs*cough*

Petersons are on ESPN2 now.

I'd guess that Papa and Tessitore have contracts with Versus/Top Rank and ESPN. Steve Albert works for Showtime so HBO probably wouldnt want any of his brothers. I think Bob Costas might end up being the guy.

I dunno I still find Peter frustrating to watch. He has so much power, and he has really good range with his jab, but it still seems like he hardly knows how to follow up his jab at all, without throwing wild sloppy rights. He could benefit highly from a better trainer. He was knocking Toney backwards everytime he connected with a jab, but then just stood there most of the time.

Peter-Maskaev could be pretty entertaining. Oleg showed alot of durability and late power in the Hasim Rahman rematch and looked very consistent in his first defense against Okhello.

Emanuel Augustus stepped in to take a fight against Kid Diamond on VS. That show became must-watch material once I heard that news.

Shows on Thursday.

The WBO has ordered a purse bid for the WBO welterweight title bout between champion Antonio Margarito and mandatory challenger Paul Williams to take place January 23 at the WBO Headquarters in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The Championship Committee has approved a minimum bid of $200,000. Margarito, however, is penciled in to face Miguel Cotto on a big pay-per-view event in June and is widely expected to relinquish the belt rather than to face Williams.

-fightnews

I'm sure Marge will try saying it was Paul Williams that ducked him.

Paul Williams would beat Margarito up. He said he wants to face Cotto, then go back and fight Williams. Of course, we know how those type of things turn out. Marg will get beat the fuck up by Miguel, and Williams wouldn't have any reason to fight him.

Miguel Cotto will defend against Otkay Urkal on March 3 at the Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan, Puerto Rico. It'll be on HBO.

Jameel McCline blew out a knee in the 3rd round in Switzerland, Valuev still champ. The Giant might be back in April to defend against his mandatory, Ruslan Chakaev, who is coming off a win over the old grappler John Ruiz.

I thought McCline would beat Valuev.

Regardless, the two fights tonight look very good even if I won't be around to watch them. I think Castillo could be in a little bit of trouble at 140, and I think Hatton will handle Urango. Both fights go the distance, and both favorites win.

Only notable guy that Ngoudjo's beat is Augustus. All of his fights (save one) have been in Quebec.

Both fights go the distance, and both favorites win.

Yep.

Njoudgo should get a shot at the winner of Hatton-Castillo next year.

I'd rather see the winner fight little boy Hopkins or Vivian Harris.

Speaking of Harris, I'm going to the Mosley/Collazo card with the Harris bout under it. I can't resist the chance to see Shane fight at welter again.

Edison Miranda vs. Allan Green has been added to the undercard of the Miguel Cotto-Otkay Urkal fight, March 3, on HBO. Sounds good to me.

Vitali is back.

Not only is he back but he is already drowning in controversy. I guess it looks likely that he will be automatically given a Title Shot vs. Maskaev since he retired as the CHAMP, but at the same time Samuel Peter won the right for the title fight by beating Toney, so Peter and his camp are pissed off now about the situation....

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=2741234

Former heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko, who retired days before a title defense against Hasim Rahman in November 2005 because of a knee injury, is planning to return to the ring.

Gene Blevins/WireImage.com

Former WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko has been cleared to continue his boxing career after a two-year hiatus.

"I've been back in the gym for a couple of weeks and I feel great," Klitschko said in a statement. "My injuries have healed and after much hard work, and with the approval of the doctors, I am cleared to continue my boxing career."

Klitschko (35-2, 34 KOs) hasn't fought since making his only title defense against Danny Williams, a bloody eighth-round knockout in Las Vegas on Dec. 11, 2004.

Klitschko was stopped in the sixth round by Lennox Lewis in June 2003, when Lewis opened a horrific cut over Klitschko's eye. Lewis later retired and Klitschko knocked out Corrie Sanders in April 2004 to win the vacant belt.

When he retired, Klitschko vacated his title, which interim titlist Rahman inherited and subsequently lost to Oleg Maskaev.

Now, Klitschko said he is back for his belt.

"I am returning to the ring to get my WBC heavyweight championship back," said Klitschko, who mounted an unsuccessful run for mayor of Kiev in his native Ukraine during his retirement. "In November 2005, due to a serious knee injury, I retired without having lost the WBC belt in the ring. At the WBC gala event on Dec. 20, 2005 in Cancun, Mexico, the WBC designated me as 'WBC Champion Emeritus' and assured me that whenever I was ready to return, I would become the immediate mandatory challenger for the title.

"I'm back, and I have requested that the WBC sanction a bout between me and Oleg Maskaev. I look forward to reclaiming my title, and want to thank everyone who has been so supportive during my short retirement from the ring."

There is talk that a Maskaev-Klitschko bout could be staged in Moscow on April 21. The WBC has yet to rule on whether it will install Klitschko, 35, as the immediate mandatory challenger for Maskaev, but it expected to approve Maskaev-Klitschko.

If it does, it probably will have a lawsuit on its hands from No. 1 contender Samuel Peter.

Peter twice defeated James Toney in official elimination fights. He won the first bout in September, but a rematch was ordered when the WBC upheld Toney's appeal of the split decision loss.

On Jan. 6, Peter again defeated Toney, this time on a lopsided decision. For both fights, Peter paid a sanction fee, yet no title fight was ordered.

"It's a disgrace. I fought my way into this position without taking shortcuts," said Peter, who is demanding that the WBC uphold his mandatory rights. "I paid my sanctioning fees not once, but twice. I wasn't even supposed to fight the second time, but people were questioning the judges, so I fought again to prove myself.

"They're trying to take away everything I worked for all those years. I'm No. 1 and they're going to have a very big problem if they allow this. They are putting their own hands in the fire and making a big mistake."

Maskaev has made no secret that he is avoiding Peter, instead looking for more significant paydays. After Maskaev knocked out Rahman in August to win the title, promoter Dennis Rappaport secured an exception to his mandatory obligation, and Maskaev easily defeated obscure Peter Okhello in December in Moscow.

Rappaport tried to make a fight with Evander Holyfield and then tried to make a unification match between Maskaev and Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali's younger brother who holds the IBF heavyweight title.

When that fight didn't materialize -- both beltholders had mandatory defenses to make -- Rappaport looked to Vitali, who had the promise of a title fight if he returned.

It has angered Peter.

"Why did he [Vitali Klitschko] wait till I beat Toney the second time to say he was coming back? Why not announce before? Because he's not a true champion," Peter said. "He got his title when Lennox Lewis retired. And now he wants to fight Maskaev, who is also not a true champion because he's avoiding me. Let me go against Maskaev and I'll knock him out and then I'll knock out both Klitschko brothers on the same night."

"I am returning to the ring to get my WBC heavyweight championship back."

-- Former heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko

Dino Duva, who co-promotes Peter with Don King, is also upset that Peter might be passed over for a title shot.

"From the standpoint of Vitali personally, I respect him and we wish him the best and if he comes back, we hope the injuries that forced his retirement are really healed, so that he may continue his career," Duva said. "However any thought or mention of him or anyone else trying to step in front of Samuel Peter's path to the title is very dangerous legally and financially for anyone who goes there. We will not stand by and allow Samuel Peter's rights to be violated."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.

Vitali Klitschko career highlights

• July 19, 1971: Born in Kyrgyzstan. Brother Vladimir born five years later. Both go on to attain PhDs in sports science and hold versions of the world heavyweight title.

• Nov. 16, 1996: Makes professional debut in Hamburg, knocking out Tony Bradham of the U.S. in the second round.

• May 2, 1998: Wins WBO Intercontinental title with a fifth round TKO of Dick Ryan of the United States.

• Oct. 24, 1998: Wins European heavyweight title with second-round knockout win against fellow German Mario Schiesser. Defends title twice.

• June 26, 1999: Wins WBO world title in London with second-round knockout victory over England's Herbie Hide.

• April 1, 2000: After two successful defenses, loses WBO world title with a 10th-round TKO by Chris Byrd of the United States.

• Jan. 27, 2001: Wins WBA intercontinental title with TKO in first round against Orlin Norris of United States.

• June 21, 2003: Loses WBC world title fight against Lennox Lewis of Britain, via a TKO in the sixth round, after sustaining a cut eye.

• April 24, 2004: Wins WBC world heavyweight title with a TKO eighth-round win over Corrie Sanders of South Africa.

• Dec. 11, 2004: Successfully defends WBC title with TKO eighth-round win over Britain's Danny Williams in Las Vegas.

• 2005: Forced to pull out of scheduled defense against Hasim Rahman because of knee injury sustained in training bout. Undergoes surgery and retires with a professional record of 35 wins in 37 fights.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Personally, if I am Vitali, why not just keep training and assuming Peter/Maskaev happens in early 2007(meaning at least by the end of Spring) then just wait for conclusion of that fight and take on whoever is champ. I think Vitali could beat Maskaev, and at least hang with Peter, but the thing with Peter is he has the raw Power to knock out anyone in the division right now, he just needs to become accurate and learn how to hone in on how to deliver punches, rather then just swinging wildly towards his opponent.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

He'd be wise to take a tune up fight, too, despite the fact that I think he can probably still beat anyone in the division.

Tonight on Versus...

Ulises Solis defends his jr. fly title against former champion Will Grigsby...could be pretty good.

Tye Fields puts his fattened record up against Kendrick Releford's pathetic marks...should be a big ko if Fields wants to ever move on to HBO/Showtime.

Middleweight prospect Andy Lee could make tv if either fight ends quick.