TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Survivor: Cook Island

This season has been one huge blunder after another.
Truer words have never been spoken, naiwf. This season has been a never-ending string of WTF? moments.

And you know what? It keeps us watching. Straightforward, Pagonging seasons are a lot more boring than watching people screw themselves over.

While it was ass-backwards and childish for the YWT (young white trio) to try to blackmail Yul to vote out Jonathan in order to get their vote at the Final 2, voting Jonathan out then really did make the most sense for Yul & company. They would still have the numbers, and could just vote Adam - the only real competitoin among the YWT - off next Tribal Council.

Instead, Yul now has to deal with the fact that he's pissed off 3 members of the jury ... and you just know that they're going to convince Nate to vote like they do, regardless of how childish their reasoning is.

Actually, this is the one place where they did the right thing, strategically. It's a 4-3 advantage with Jonathan being a stray vote. However, voting Jonathan out means that only one person has to flip and CAP has the numbers. And don't think that Flirty Girl can't break that alliance. Now, with Candice gone , and a 4-2-1 situation, Jonathan can be safely voted off... although like I said, he's the perfect candidate to go against in the final 2. Maybe CAP won't vote for Yul, but they will if he's up against Jonathan. Of course, that game has to get to that point first.

And back to Yul for a minute: Why tell everyone that he has the Idol? Why be so honest with the people he's about to vote off? No matter how little he likes Jonathan, or how much he feels he can predict what he's going to do, it makes NO SENSE to tell Candice, Parvati & the meathead that!

My thought? He's related to the Cho brothers.

Candice was hilarious, taking her supposed "high road" and being indignant over Jonathan's treachery when a) pre-Mutiny she and the others were planning to vote him out, b) SHE was the first one to Mutiny and c) she knew that the guy wasn't to be trusted in the first place. I see a case where Flirty Girl and Adam have a right to feel betrayed, but Candice has zero reason to. Played with integrity my ass. I'd wager money that Candice will give us the most hypocritical question/statement during the Final TC.

I'd wager money that Candice will give us the most hypocritical question/statement during the Final TC.

But she'll look really, really good while doing so.

I'm no Jonathan fan by any stretch of the imagination but I wanted him to smack the shit out of Candice after last night. And I would've loved to see Yul and Co. say "We're gonna vote for Parvarti just for the opportunity to send Candice to Exile Island one last time."

I'm no Jonathan fan by any stretch of the imagination but I wanted him to smack the shit out of Candice after last night. And I would've loved to see Yul and Co. say "We're gonna vote for Parvarti just for the opportunity to send Candice to Exile Island one last time."

Spite. What's Survivor without it?

Last night's episode MADE the season for me. Jonathan's sleaziness during the auction was awesome, as was the look on the YWT's faces when he told them "Yul does have the idol. HE SHOWED ME THE IDOL!" You could almost see the three little light bulbs flicking on for a split second before fizzling out again. The best part though was easily when Becky sent Candice back to Exile and took her money on top of that.

Yul showing the idol was smart IMO. He basically let everyone else know that it'd be pointless to vote for him because he can save himself up until the F4 or F3, I can't remember which it is. He might not win the money due to pettiness but he has played the best game so far, with only Jonathan and Ozzy even approaching his level of play. The only reason he won't win is if the YWT and Nate hate on him for being a better player, and that wouldn't have changed whether he'd booted Jonathan first or last because they're all petty people as evidenced by everything that happened from the start of last week's Tribal Council until the end of this week's.

I still think it's ironic that Candice's decision to mutiny to be with her guy ended up saving Ozzy, Sundra and Jonathan's lives in the game. Had she just stayed put she was a lock for the F4. Instead she got sent to Exile 4 times, went home in 8th place, killed any chance Parvati or Adam had of going far in the game and basically gave Jonathan, Ozzy and Sundra a better payday with at least one of those three almost guaranteed a spot in the F3.

Last night's episode MADE the season for me. Jonathan's sleaziness during the auction was awesome, as was the look on the YWT's faces when he told them "Yul does have the idol. HE SHOWED ME THE IDOL!"

That was hilarious. I like Parvati but she's an idiot. "Yul DOESN'T have the idol!" And then Jonathan's like "You stupid bitch! Yul DOES have the idol! He showed me!" ha. Great episode.

If you've seen the preview, you know that there's another twist in store on Sunday. The twist is

that the Jury votes on a Final Three

So on top of voting for a winner the jury picks three out of the five remaining to be in the final three?

If you've seen the preview, you know that there's another twist in store on Sunday. The twist is

that the Jury votes on a Final Three

So on top of voting for a winner the jury picks three out of the five remaining to be in the final three?

No. They vote AMONG a Final Three at the end to determine the winner.

Not that this should be surprising at all, but

the Final Three would appear to be Becky, Ozzy and Yul. Lots of debate as to whether Ozzy or Yul will take it.

Wow, a very anticlimactic final 2 episodes (three if you include the 2-hour one on Sunday as 2 separate episodes).

First, the one from Thursday: Man, Parvati in the mud saved that challenge. Without her luciousness saving the challenge, it was among the dumbest, least entertaining challenges I've seen. Seeing her do her thing in the mud, though, saved it for me. Above and beyond that, though, a 'meh' penultimate episode. The fact that Adam was obviously going to get eliminated took away any excitement or anticipation. I had a chat with someone that thought it was dumb that they didn't take him up on the "make Yul use the idol" offer, but I think that Ozzy & Sundra did the right thing. Why piss off the other two people in the alliance - and possibly two members of the jury - unnecessarily?

Then, the actual finale: I wonder when they decided to make it a 3-way F2? It was a pointless twist, I thought. I'd have rather seen another final immunity challenge, and then the winner (likely Ozzy or Yul) have to choose between someone that deserved to be in the F2 (the other one, either Ozzy or Yul) and someone that had no justification for being there (Becky). And the tie-breaker fire challenge was maybe the funniest thing I've seen on Survivor. It's the same thing EVERY TIME that there's a tie; why wouldn't either girl be smart enough to practice lighting fires in the first 30+ days that they're there, just in case?!? Having said all that, I'm not surprised that Yul won. He did deserve it ... almost as much as Ozzy did. Dominating the challenges is more difficult in my eyes than being "a mastermind"; if I was on the jury, I'd have voted for Ozzy.

And I only watched about 10 minutes of the reunion ... but did Candice get wicked heavy after leaving the island, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

Wow, a very anticlimactic final 2 episodes (three if you include the 2-hour one on Sunday as 2 separate episodes).

First, the one from Thursday: Man, Parvati in the mud saved that challenge. Without her luciousness saving the challenge, it was among the dumbest, least entertaining challenges I've seen. Seeing her do her thing in the mud, though, saved it for me. Above and beyond that, though, a 'meh' penultimate episode. The fact that Adam was obviously going to get eliminated took away any excitement or anticipation. I had a chat with someone that thought it was dumb that they didn't take him up on the "make Yul use the idol" offer, but I think that Ozzy & Sundra did the right thing. Why piss off the other two people in the alliance - and possibly two members of the jury - unnecessarily?

Then, the actual finale: I wonder when they decided to make it a 3-way F2? It was a pointless twist, I thought. I'd have rather seen another final immunity challenge, and then the winner (likely Ozzy or Yul) have to choose between someone that deserved to be in the F2 (the other one, either Ozzy or Yul) and someone that had no justification for being there (Becky). And the tie-breaker fire challenge was maybe the funniest thing I've seen on Survivor. It's the same thing EVERY TIME that there's a tie; why wouldn't either girl be smart enough to practice lighting fires in the first 30+ days that they're there, just in case?!? Having said all that, I'm not surprised that Yul won. He did deserve it ... almost as much as Ozzy did. Dominating the challenges is more difficult in my eyes than being "a mastermind"; if I was on the jury, I'd have voted for Ozzy.

And I only watched about 10 minutes of the reunion ... but did Candice get wicked heavy after leaving the island, or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

I agree with everything, especially the bolded stuff.

I guesstimate that Candice gained at least 20 pounds.

Ozzy didn't need Yul to make it to the end since he won immunity every time from the mutiny to the end but once, while Yul was unable to win a single challenge by himself in the entire course of the game. Ozzy had a target on his back from the point when there were 12 people left in the game, everyone knew he was the biggest threat, he made it to the end with no help and yet still somehow lost. It was BS.

There's always a brains vs brawn debate every season on Survivor. Do you reward the guy that does all the work or do you reward the guy that is able to manipulate everybody else to do all the work for him.

To me, what Yul did was a lot more impressive. To be the guy responsible for booting almost everybody in the jury, and yet have them still respect you enough to vote you the winner is an extremely tricky thing to do. The only other time I can remember it happening is the first season with Richard Hatch. The challenge domination thing has been done before (Colby, Tom, Terry, etc.), so what Ozzy did just didn't do much for me.

Yul was only able to boot people off because Ozzy won all of the challenges for their team, and then kept Yul in the game by not losing solo immunity until Jonathan was the clear boot even for his former allies. If Ozzy loses once early on and goes home, Yul's advantage of the HII dies quickly thereafter as he'd be the next biggest target, and he follows a few TCs later. Yul NEEDED Ozzy to get to the end. Ozzy didn't need Yul. I think it was pretty simple to see that Ozzy got screwed.

Yul was only able to boot people off because Ozzy won all of the challenges for their team, and then kept Yul in the game by not losing solo immunity until Jonathan was the clear boot even for his former allies. If Ozzy loses once early on and goes home, Yul's advantage of the HII dies quickly thereafter as he'd be the next biggest target, and he follows a few TCs later. Yul NEEDED Ozzy to get to the end. Ozzy didn't need Yul. I think it was pretty simple to see that Ozzy got screwed.

Yeah, Ozzy did all the work for Yul, which is EXACTLY why Yul deserved to win. He got somebody else (Ozzy) to do all his work for him and while Ozzy was busy getting food, winning challenges and putting a huge target on his back, Yul was busy building relationships with the jury members (Jonathan and Adam, in particular) and ensuring that he would get their votes in the end.

He's the best strategist the show has had since Hatch.

No, Ozzy needed the mutiny and then the merge to even stay in the game. The game didn't screw him - it worked to his advantage. And as for Ozzy not needing Yul, that's absolutely ridiculous. If there wasn't an Aitu four alliance, Ozzy would've been booted the one time he didn't win immunity. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing run by Ozzy, but you cannot take away from how significant it was to have Aitu staying so tight, and that had a lot to do with Yul (and Becky, really) keeping everybody loyal to one another.

And don't think that throwing that early challenge didn't sit in the minds of some of the jury members.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned how fucking hilarious the tiebreaker was. Sad and embarassing? Sure, but 90 minutes before winning what others have done in five? And the reactions of everyone else? If you want to point to why Becky didn't get a single vote in the F3, there it is right there. It was strategically the correct game for her to play, but when she had the chance to show something in front of everyone else, she blew it. As did Sundra, for that matter.

I'm surprised noone's mentioned how fucking hilarious the tiebreaker was. Sad and embarassing? Sure, but 90 minutes before winning what others have done in five? And the reactions of everyone else? If you want to point to why Becky didn't get a single vote in the F3, there it is right there. It was strategically the correct game for her to play, but when she had the chance to show something in front of everyone else, she blew it. As did Sundra, for that matter.

And the tie-breaker fire challenge was maybe the funniest thing I've seen on Survivor. It's the same thing EVERY TIME that there's a tie; why wouldn't either girl be smart enough to practice lighting fires in the first 30+ days that they're there, just in case?!?

starvenger must have me on ignore

No, Ozzy needed the mutiny and then the merge to even stay in the game. The game didn't screw him - it worked to his advantage. And as for Ozzy not needing Yul, that's absolutely ridiculous. If there wasn't an Aitu four alliance, Ozzy would've been booted the one time he didn't win immunity. Don't get me wrong, it was an amazing run by Ozzy, but you cannot take away from how significant it was to have Aitu staying so tight, and that had a lot to do with Yul (and Becky, really) keeping everybody loyal to one another.

I'll grant you that Ozzy needed the mutiny to stay in the game. Yul however needed Ozzy on his team to win the game. If Ozzy mutinies or gets voted out Yul's "brilliant" strategy only gets him to the final 6 at best. I think relying so heavily on another player to win the game for you means that someone else played better than you did. Or are you going to conclude that Amber beating Boston Rob in AS was brilliant play by Amber? Giving Becky credit for keeping the group tight was the funniest thing I've read in this thread when she wanted Ozzy out from the get go. Like Amber she was just another dumbass who lucked into a great finish because Superman was on her side.

I'll grant you that Ozzy needed the mutiny to stay in the game. Yul however needed Ozzy on his team to win the game. If Ozzy mutinies or gets voted out Yul's "brilliant" strategy only gets him to the final 6 at best. I think relying so heavily on another player to win the game for you means that someone else played better than you did. Or are you going to conclude that Amber beating Boston Rob in AS was brilliant play by Amber? Giving Becky credit for keeping the group tight was the funniest thing I've read in this thread when she wanted Ozzy out from the get go. Like Amber she was just another dumbass who lucked into a great finish because Superman was on her side.

I think you’re underestimating Yul on the team challenges prior to the merge. While he wasn’t as important to their team victories as Ozzy, he still was important to their success. Replace Yul with a weaker competitor like Jonathan, and no amount of heroics from Ozzy would have been enough to save them from losing as least once prior to the merge.

You’re exaggerating how much Yul needed Ozzy. It’s nowhere near as close as much as Amber needed Rob. If Ozzy gets voted out, Yul still would have the hidden immunity idol, which he still could have used to get Jonathan to switch to his side, which would have made the 2 tribes even 4 vs 4 at the merger.

I think you’re underestimating Yul on the team challenges prior to the merge. While he wasn’t as important to their team victories as Ozzy, he still was important to their success. Replace Yul with a weaker competitor like Jonathan, and no amount of heroics from Ozzy would have been enough to save them from losing as least once prior to the merge.

You’re exaggerating how much Yul needed Ozzy. It’s nowhere near as close as much as Amber needed Rob. If Ozzy gets voted out, Yul still would have the hidden immunity idol, which he still could have used to get Jonathan to switch to his side, which would have made the 2 tribes even 4 vs 4 at the merger.

Dude, the mutiny was at 12. It was 8 to 4 at that point. Team BOYS had to win two challenges just to get to the merge at a 5-4 deficit. If they lose just the first one, Ozzy's out because Yul would have listened to Becky. If they lose just the second one, Ozzy and Sundra are out because Yul would have done whatever he could just to save Becky. If they lose both, Ozzy, Becky AND Sundra are out and Yul wouldn't have been able to do shit down 8 to 3, 8 to 2 or 8 to 1 leading into the merge, HII or not. If you swap Ozzy and Jonathan at that point in the game, Ozzy still has a chance to make it to the merge because his tribe would have won all of the team challenges, and then he could go on to dominate by himself from there. Yul however would have lost his wingman, any team challenge, his HII, and any chance at the money. I don't think it's even debatable.

Dude, the mutiny was at 12. It was 8 to 4 at that point. Team BOYS had to win two challenges just to get to the merge at a 5-4 deficit.

If they lose just the first one, Ozzy's out because Yul would have listened to Becky. If they lose just the second one, Ozzy and Sundra are out because Yul would have done whatever he could just to save Becky. If they lose both, Ozzy, Becky AND Sundra are out and Yul wouldn't have been able to do shit down 8 to 3, 8 to 2 or 8 to 1 leading into the merge, HII or not.

Yeah, they did have to win 2 challenges to get to the merge at 5-4, and my point is without Yul to help him, Ozzy would not have won those 2 challenges and he would be gone. It was a TEAM CHALLENGE afterall. Yul needed Ozzy to help win those team challenges just as Ozzy need Yul to win those challenges.

Yul may not be as dominant physically as Ozzy, but he still was the second strongest competitor on the show. Mentally, however, Yul just blows Ozzy out of the water.

If you swap Ozzy and Jonathan at that point in the game, Ozzy still has a chance to make it to the merge because his tribe would have won all of the team challenges, and then he could go on to dominate by himself from there. Yul however would have lost his wingman, any team challenge, his HII, and any chance at the money. I don't think it's even debatable.

Saying that Ozzy would dominate all the invidual challenges is a lot easier said than done. It a lot different winning individual challenges when you're on the dominant tribe and there isn't as much pressure for you to win every sinle challenge. Winning challenges when the odds are 8 vs 1 against you is a whole lot different than when the odds are 5 vs 4 in your favor.

Ozzy didn't have any real allies in the game thanks to Becky getting rid of Cecilia as soon as possible. He played every challenge (even rewards) to win, and win by as much as possible. To think he would have gone half speed even on the "dominant" tribe seems silly especially considering he won almost everything from 7 on down, which is incidentally when his team took the numerical edge. Yul deserved to win if Ozzy had been eliminated. There's no doubting that, but this idea that he perfectly calculated everything and his puppets danced when he said dance was only made possible because he had someone on his side who killed off all of his enemies by never allowing them the chance to vote him out. If an average person had been selected instead of Ozzy we'd have ended this season with someone like Adam or Parvati winning the million dollars, Candice and Jonathan finishing in the top 4 and Yul being this season's Rob Cesternino.

Ozzy didn't have any real allies in the game thanks to Becky getting rid of Cecilia as soon as possible. He played every challenge (even rewards) to win, and win by as much as possible. To think he would have gone half speed even on the "dominant" tribe seems silly especially considering he won almost everything from 7 on down, which is incidentally when his team took the numerical edge. Yul deserved to win if Ozzy had been eliminated. There's no doubting that, but this idea that he perfectly calculated everything and his puppets danced when he said dance was only made possible because he had someone on his side who killed off all of his enemies by never allowing them the chance to vote him out. If an average person had been selected instead of Ozzy we'd have ended this season with someone like Adam or Parvati winning the million dollars, Candice and Jonathan finishing in the top 4 and Yul being this season's Rob Cesternino.

I’m not saying he would go at half speed. I’m saying being on the dominant tribe with Yul, Becky, and Sundra on his side took a whole lot of pressure off of him to HAVE to win every single challenge. He could go to every challenge and think “hey, I’ll try my best, but if I don’t win, I still have a few people that have my back”.

On the other hand, if at the merge, it was 8 Raro tribemembers vs Ozzy, that’s a completely different scenario. That’s a shitload of pressure for him to win every single challenge and know that if he loses a challenge, nobody has his back. Who knows how he would have responded with that type of pressure on him?

It's funny, this thread has had more activity and more debate after the season ended than it has at any point during the season.

This season was lackluster because of the amount of stupid people that played during it, and because it was clearly a 2 man show halfway through the season. I think the wrong guy won, even though I thought he played a great game. Had Cao Boi and Flicka not flaked on voting Becky out in the beginning I probably would have been more interested in how things unfolded. For the most part it was exactly what I expected based on being around large enough groups of each ethnic group involved and how they tend to interact amongst themselves and each other.

I initially thought Ozzy deserved it more, but after the show it came out that Yul basically bought off the jury by kicking out Jonathan and that was such a good move that I can't argue against him.

You also have to keep in mind, that Yul admitted that he was throwing challenges by the end. Doing just enough to keep himself looking strong, but not enough to actually challenge Ozzy. You could even tell in the second to last immunity if you think about it. Yul had a HUGE lead, but the second Ozzy caught up, Yul suddenly fell behind. Coincidence? Given how Yul was playing, I'm thinking not. Yul is a highly intelligent man, I find it questionable at best that Ozzy could figure out that puzzle before Yul, given that Yul had a significant head start to begin with. He didn't NEED it. I'd even say that he intentionally bowed out of the final immunity as well, both because he knew he probably wouldn't beat Ozzy, and because he quite frankly didn't need it. Why waste his time and energy on something he ultimately wouldn't need? He could have ensured Becky's safety...but why do it, when he could have given her the idol onthe down-side anyway like he offered? No one would vote for Yul no matter what. He was safe, 100%.

Ozzy played a fantastic game, but Survivor is more about mental toughness and ability then what the body can do. Take Chris from a few seasons ago, he was one of the weaker players but he manipulated everyone to the point where he survived a 6-1 or so deficit to win the game. Yul controlled the entire game from the first day. He ran the Asian tribe, he secretly ran the first merged tribe, and he ran Aitu when it was down to four, and then he ran the final merged tribe, and only THEN did anyone realize it. Jonathan thought he ran the show for awhile on Aitu, but Yul was the one pulling strings behind Jonathan, using him as a front.

Yul played quite possibly the greatest game of Survivor yet. There's no holes in his game, whatsoever, and he did it while managing to keep some integrity in tact by not turning on Aitu even when it was down to just them.

And the tie-breaker fire challenge was maybe the funniest thing I've seen on Survivor. It's the same thing EVERY TIME that there's a tie; why wouldn't either girl be smart enough to practice lighting fires in the first 30+ days that they're there, just in case?!?

starvenger must have me on ignore

My bad.

Dude, the mutiny was at 12. It was 8 to 4 at that point. Team BOYS had to win two challenges just to get to the merge at a 5-4 deficit.

If they lose just the first one, Ozzy's out because Yul would have listened to Becky. If they lose just the second one, Ozzy and Sundra are out because Yul would have done whatever he could just to save Becky. If they lose both, Ozzy, Becky AND Sundra are out and Yul wouldn't have been able to do shit down 8 to 3, 8 to 2 or 8 to 1 leading into the merge, HII or not.

Yeah, they did have to win 2 challenges to get to the merge at 5-4, and my point is without Yul to help him, Ozzy would not have won those 2 challenges and he would be gone. It was a TEAM CHALLENGE afterall. Yul needed Ozzy to help win those team challenges just as Ozzy need Yul to win those challenges.

Yul may not be as dominant physically as Ozzy, but he still was the second strongest competitor on the show. Mentally, however, Yul just blows Ozzy out of the water.

naiwf also conveniently ignores the fact that YUL won one of those post-mutiny immunity challenges for Aitu by saying "fuck the crosshairs, I'm looking through the drop hole".

There's another thing to consider here. Say Yul didn't have the immunity compass (because... say, Adumb found it), and was booted after the first merge TC. Who do you think gets sent to Exile Island after that? I think you need to concede what everyone else pretty much has - neither Yul nor Ozzy get to the Final TC without the other based on the roles they played at key moments in the game. Without Ozzy being a challenge demon (with Yul as backup) or Yul's strategizing, Flirty Girl beats Jonathan and Nate in the final TC.

One last thing - Ozzy won the car. Even when the vote is done after the show has been filmed, the Curse of the Car strikes again.