TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

I'm thinking of changing schools...

It's that time of my life when I am not sure what I want to do with it. I'm going to school for Communications, but I am not sure I want to do that anymore. I was thinking of going to a school for Computer Networking & Security.

Is anyone going to school for this?

My mom's fiance is a computer technition, and he makes good money.

It's a good field to get into, but sometimes it's sort of hard to find a steady job in certain areas. If you get your degree for one thing now, you can start working as that, and then pick up degrees for other shit as you go along.

That's what he did, and it's working out pretty well for him.

I went to school for Computer Networking but I stopped, because I hated it, so I settled for the lesser certificate as a Computer Support Specialst. Networking/Active Directory etc....just seemed like a waste of time to learn in school and be wasting lots of money on, because at most companies I have worked for, they would just teach them Active Directory on the job to a certain extent. If you are computer literate, and can take directions then it isn't all that complicated, but trying to learn it in a classroom enviornment just for the sake of learning it, is a fucking really boring time.

That and this industry is hard as fuck to get an entry level job in. I have all but given up.

Im taking the first course of the four in CCNA Networking, I can tell you one thing the class is four hours long and it is the most boring class I have ever taken. Our lab time has consisted of converting binary code to decimal and vice versa, which is easy but boring. I was hoping we were going to do more hands on things like setting up a real network not pinging other computers in a network.

Guest Princess Leena
The market is VERY saturated...

Indeed. I have a couple friends with computer science degrees... one graduated 3 years ago, and never found an applicable job. The other is struggling now. And it's just going to get worse and worse. That's why I changed after one semester. The course work is usually quite hard and boring, as well.