TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Your all-time favorite album.

There's only two people here that I'm quite surprised on their selections of their choice (AoO and Corey) the rest is quite predictable

Anyways

e14377msg7m.jpg

There's only two people here that I'm quite surprised on their selections of their choice (AoO and Corey) the rest is quite predictable

Anyways

e14377msg7m.jpg

I was gonna pick Arcade Fire just for you.

What's surprising about a monstrous album that makes a whole lot of something out of a whole lot of nothing? White Zombie songs have always been simple-as-balls to play (yet I still suck at getting the timing right when I play "Thunderkiss," and not having a slide makes "More Human Than Human" sound like shit when I play it, but I digress), but with everything going on in every song (Tempesta's drumming, Rob's guttural vocals, and the various samples and pseudo-industrial noises in the background, ESPECIALLY the tribal drumming on the albums final two tracks)...it's just fucking perfect. I cannot find a song off of that album that I can't listen to. I have songs on it that I'm not a huge fan of, but all-in-all it's just...fucking great.

I'd say it's too bad that the band's coup de grace was their last full-on album (I'm not counting the remix album for obvious reasons), but that's how a band SHOULD go out: their best efforts for the grand finale. But still...to think that Rob went from "I, Zombie" and "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains" to fucking "Feel So Numb" and "Foxy, Foxy"...it's just sad. I like his new album a lot, but...I'll forever miss the influence of Tempesta, J, and Sean Yseult.

What's surprising about a monstrous album that makes a whole lot of something out of a whole lot of nothing? White Zombie songs have always been simple-as-balls to play (yet I still suck at getting the timing right when I play "Thunderkiss," and not having a slide makes "More Human Than Human" sound like shit when I play it, but I digress), but with everything going on in every song (Tempesta's drumming, Rob's guttural vocals, and the various samples and pseudo-industrial noises in the background, ESPECIALLY the tribal drumming on the albums final two tracks)...it's just fucking perfect. I cannot find a song off of that album that I can't listen to. I have songs on it that I'm not a huge fan of, but all-in-all it's just...fucking great.

I'd say it's too bad that the band's coup de grace was their last full-on album (I'm not counting the remix album for obvious reasons), but that's how a band SHOULD go out: their best efforts for the grand finale. But still...to think that Rob went from "I, Zombie" and "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains" to fucking "Feel So Numb" and "Foxy, Foxy"...it's just sad. I like his new album a lot, but...I'll forever miss the influence of Tempesta, J, and Sean Yseult.

Astro Creep is a great album, but I thought you would pick something else, most likely Metallica, Slayer, Zombie Apocolypse, etc...

And LotC...not surprised about the BSS album either.

Guest Felonies!
g39481supb6.jpg

I think my problem with Blueberry Boat is just how gargantuan the whole thing is. Information overload. 10-minute multi-part songs with lots of lyrics that compose a 70+min album. I like the songs a lot, but I struggle with polishing off the whole thing in one sitting. Quay Cur/Straight Street/title track add up to about 25 minutes, but it almost feels like an entire album, because you've covered so many bases with the various sections of songs, especially with Quay Cur and the title track. Comparatively, Straight Street is an interlude, clocking in at five minutes.

I do much better with Blueberry Boat if I listen to it on shuffle, especially if I include a couple other FF albums in there. It knocks out the routine of it, which eliminates a lot of that information overload. And then I get to giggle with schoolgirlish glee when "Chief Inspector Blancheflower" pops up and surprises me with its awesomeness.

I had a fairly big turnaround on Blueberry Boat. Not the good kind, no, as I was initially enamored with its labyrinthine twists and turns and its cheeky melodies and lyrics. After about a month with it, I found my interest waning during the latter portion of the album—not as Wacky And Crazy, those shorter songs—which, in turn, grew into a dissatisfaction with the album as a whole. I couldn't get the idea out of my head that it was all one big joke, that the Friedbergers were in matching top hat and tails, hyped on sugar, shuffling off to Buffalo, writing songs about, well, something. Not sure what, now, as I haven't listened to the album in two years.

I prefer Rehearsing my Choir to Blueberry Boat, grandmother and all. I think it's because the story of the former is more coherent and slightly easier to follow. If you're gonna make a concept record full of bizzarre twists and turns and flourishes, it should at least be somewhat easy to comprehend what's going on. I have no idea what's happening on Blueberry Boat, something about pirates, I think.

Guest Felonies!

They sure like to name locations, I noticed. I liked the part where they mentioned the Des Plaines River, and actually pronounced "Des Plaines" correctly, which most people do not do. Then again, they're locals, so they better not fuck it up.

People here picking albums that are only a couple of years old, I dunno. It might just be me, but it takes years usually before I can say something is absolutely one of my favorites. I first heard Rain Dogs in 1998, and even though I loved it right away, it wasn't until five or six years later that I could comfortably call it my favorite album. But then I'm rarely at ease with lists that rank things so subjectively.

"D'splanes" as in...to say...the Astral Planes belonging to once-popular rap artist Heavy D?

As far as declaring a recent album (say...last 10 years or so) to be my all-time favorite, I just couldn't do it. Maybe my favorite album of the moment, but for it to be an all-time favorite, it's gotta stand up to years and years of relistening and enjoying. As to the subjectivity of lists, the only absolute is that my favorite all time album is Townes van Zandt's Live at the Old Quarter. Spots 2-999,999,999 vary depending on the season and my temperment.

Guest Felonies!

No, like your mouth is about to make a D sound but you come out of it saying "splains" so the D and S just kinda blend together. I've heard non-locals try to go pseudo-French with it and say "day plenn" or "days plain."

Fun fact: The first McDonald's franchise is in Des Plaines, as is the Choo-Choo Restaurant, where the train brings you your food. Ah, childhood. I wonder if it's still open.

EDIT: IT IS!

Since I mentioned 1998 up there, I was inspired to try and think what I considered my all-time favorite album then, had I been asked. I likely would've said Clouds Taste Metallic—which was three years old at the time—however, it's nowhere near a threat to the number one spot now. Not that I think the album hasn't aged well—I still enjoy it—but I'd been exposed to far less music then than now. Youth and/or inexperience definitely plays a part.

Czech, I think you will come to love Aeroplane one day. I know you will. You like so many similar things that I find less interesting, like Wilco, Radiohead, and Arcade Fire. The truth will reveal itself in time, mark my words.

Since I mentioned 1998 up there, I was inspired to try and think what I considered my all-time favorite album then, had I been asked.

I was still very new to music-mania at that point. I only owned about 90 albums before I went to college in '01. Achtung, Baby was my favorite for most of that formative stretch. I think I maintained that was my favorite album for much longer than it actually was. Only in the last three years or so have I really been able to divorce myself from putting old discarded favorites in my pantheon out of some compulsion, even if I hardly ever listen to them. The Beatles' catalogue plus The Bends and OK Computer have held up the best from 6-8 years ago; they were favorites then and still are now, though a lot of why I love them has changed considerably.