TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Recommend music to Chave

Just best ofs and various songs, and Ziggy. I've got a load on my iPod, I just need to get around to listening to it.

Incidentally, I only properly listened to Angie by the Stones the other day. It's a far better song than I thought it was.

Lists!

Bowie

1. Hunky Dory

2. Low

3. Scary Monsters

4. Aladdin Sane

5. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars

Dylan

1. Highway 61 Revisited

2. Another Side of Bob Dylan

3. Blonde on Blonde

4. Bringing It All Back Home

5. Blood on the Tracks

Stones

1. Sticky Fingers

2. Beggars Banquet

3. Exile on Main Street

4. Their Satanic Majesties Request

5. Some Girls

Guest Felonies!
Speaking of Bowie, I finally got around to Lodger. It's a little so-so—definitely the weakest of the Berlin trilogy—but it has a couple of real good songs, no real bad ones and it's all over in 35 minutes.

I like "African Night Flight" and "Repitition," and "Red Money" is my favorite of all.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

1. Low

2. ...Ziggy Stardust

3. Hunky Dory

4. Scary Monsters

5. Station to Station

Guest Agent of Oblivion

And what the fuck is the deal with all the repackaged Bowie? Has any other musician been as mericilessly compiled and rearranged as that man? Well, Elvis and probably The Beatles, but come on.

Guest Felonies!

Low is better than Hunky Dory, they go #1-#2. Also, Heroes is better than I give it credit for, it's just that whenever I'm Jones-ing for some Berlin Bowie, I go with Low.

Over the past few months Low and Hunky Dory have crawled ahead of Ziggy in my estimation. And I think Low is in the lead for now, because I've listened to "Always Crashing in the Same Car" at least once every day for a week.

Chave, after having seen Yo La Tengo earlier this week, I feel compelled to highly recommend I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, their excellent album from 1997. It's an album that, like The Bends, I feel comfortable recommending to anyone regardless of their musical taste. Plus, YLT falls right into your paradigm of preferences, I think.

Guest Felonies!
Over the past few months Low and Hunky Dory have crawled ahead of Ziggy in my estimation. And I think Low is in the lead for now, because I've listened to "Always Crashing in the Same Car" at least once every day for a week.

That/Be My Wife/A New Career in a New Town is probably my favorite part of Low. That and Subterraneans.

Chave, after having seen Yo La Tengo earlier this week, I feel compelled to highly recommend I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, their excellent album from 1997. It's an album that, like The Bends, I feel comfortable recommending to anyone regardless of their musical taste. Plus, YLT falls right into your paradigm of preferences, I think.

I never got into them.

And what the fuck is the deal with all the repackaged Bowie? Has any other musician been as mericilessly compiled and rearranged as that man? Well, Elvis and probably The Beatles, but come on.

What, those 30th anniversary things? I bought the Ziggy one when it came out; the packaging is neat at first, but the pages within the book started coming loose from the spine within a couple of months. And I never listen to the second disc.

The Beatles haven't been reissued to death, really. The cd versions of all their proper albums are from the same master when they were first released on compact disc in 1987. I'd say the current leader in endless reissuing is Elvis Costello: first, in the early 90s, his Columbia recordings (from 1977-1986) were rereleased on Rykodisc. Then, starting around 2000/2001, Rhino reissued those albums yet again, plus Costello's Warner Bros.-era (1989-1996) recordings. Now, I've read that Universal has the rights to all those albums and will begin reissuing them ONE MORE FUCKING TIME within the next year or two (meaning this will be the third time within 15 years that a great deal of Costello's albums have been rereleased). What's ultimately exasperating about this is that Costello has always owned the rights to his music, so this shameless plundering of his back catalogue is his own doing and not the cash-grubbing of some greedy record execs. What a fuck.

I never got into them.

Try that album. Good summary of everything they've done, full of plenty of fun bubbly moments and big noisy barrages too.

On reissues: Bowie hasn't been that bad, though I'm having a hell of a time finding a non-$20 special edition of Aladdin Sane in any store. I'll probably just give up and order the cheap one. As far as stupid reissues go, I think the entire "Legacy" collection takes the cake, adding minimal material to pretty suspect candidates. No one really needs a $27 version of Weezer's first album, even if it does have "Suzanne" on it.

Looks like I was confusing Columbia's Legacy line with Universal's Deluxe line.

Christmas 2004, I got a good friend of mine that Legacy, two disc, one dvd edition of London Calling. It was pretty swank; the remastering on the proper album surpasses that of the '99 version, which I thought was tops to start.

While I'm not sure which of these you'd like Chave, lately I've been listening to a lot of:

Aphex Twin

TV on the Radio

Eels

Built to Spill

Burzum (has replaced Prussian Blue and Neo-Hate as my current favorite racist music)

But caveat emptor: all of the above are very hit or miss ... the good, though, is good enough to outweigh the not-so-good.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What, those 30th anniversary things? I bought the Ziggy one when it came out; the packaging is neat at first, but the pages within the book started coming loose from the spine within a couple of months. And I never listen to the second disc.

Right, there's the 30th anniversary ones, there's the 1990 reissues, there's all of the compilations of his Deram records early stuff, and his most recent Greatest Hits has a different "version" for every country on earth. That's not even poking at his best ofs from the late 70's and early 80's..jesus.

BowieAnim_new2.gif

Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton- Knives Don't Have Your Back

Sounds more BSS Haines and less Metric Haines.

Listening to this more today, I absolutely love this album.

Guest Felonies!

Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton- Knives Don't Have Your Back

Sounds more BSS Haines and less Metric Haines.

Listening to this more today, I absolutely love this album.

Do you really? I get so bored with it. It just gets really plodding and formulaic. Put a sandbag on the damper pedal and play some chords really slowly. There's some good songwriting here and there, but it's not an album that I "absolutely love" by any means.

Regarding what Felonies said in an earlier post, yes, the "bros before hoes" line is absolutely awful. When that song comes up on the iPod I instinctively hit next out of sheer disgust.