TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
k thx

Recommend music to Chave

I've done this twice before, and got some good stuff out of it.

My likes:

Broken Social Scene

MF DOOM

Nelly Furtado

Mechanical Animals

My Dislikes:

Fall Out Boy

Evanescence

Sean Paul

Oasis

Recommend any bands or albums you think I'd like.

I can't remember if you were one of the many singing the praises of the new TV on the Radio album on this board, but it's real good. Highly recommended to BSS fans--I think you'll like it. A little cold at first, but once it gets its hooks in it's unavoidably good. Also from this year is Islands' Return to the Sea, which is really fun and poppy and varied.

Lately I've been doing the lo-fi, relaxing rap thing, listening to Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders an awful lot and plenty of Black Star as well. Mos Def and Talib Kweli before they became boring and irrelevant. Judging by your appreciation of slightly out-of-sorts rap and what I can remember from the past times you did this, you might dig those.

Only recently got into TV On The Radio, but really like them. Need to listen to more of their stuff though.

I'll have to give Black Star a go. Return To The Sea is on d/l.

My mate's really into Mogwai, so I'll have to get him to hit me up. Godspeed are cool, but haven't reaally heard any of their stuff at great length. I'll get some.

Atmosphere

Sage Francis

Guest Agent of Oblivion

What's your Bowie stash look like?

Zombie Apocalypse.

i am enjoying all of the 70's stones output. its only rock & roll and black & blue included. i don't know if it being good outweighs my enjoyment of it. i may just be in the mood for some very loose and admittedly different stones stuff instead of the storied classics. i'd never put neither ahead of sticky fingers or anything like that. not by a long shot. but dance little sister and memory motel is about as good of stones songs as i'll ever find.

What's your Bowie stash look like?

Zombie Apocalypse.

Douche.

Uhhhh...The Atomic Ballroom Calamity. Hardcore. Metal. Grind. Jazz. There's as much beauty to it as their is ugliness. It's what Ilya's (lead guitarist of the band I was in a year ago) up to now. I'm really digging it. So that pretty much means you likely won't.

Guest Felonies!
I'm really digging it. So that pretty much means you likely won't.

Then don't fucking recommend it to him. Between this and people rattling off multiple albums in "Your Favorite Album (You Can Only Pick One)," it's like some of you guys just shut off your basic reading comprehension before posting. Furthermore, it's not as if this "recommend stuff for me" premise is new. In fact, I bet somebody complained about it then, too. In fact, it was probably me.

I'm saying that, in all likelihood, he won't like it. But there's a lot of jazz influence in the band I rec'd, and if you can APPRECIATE heavy music in the least for its musicianship, then you can APPRECIATE some songs that, at first, sound like utter chaos. You act as if everybody likes just one style of music, and want nothing but recs in that style. I know plenty of people that listen mostly to jam bands and classic rock, and then they hear something like As I Lay Dying (who suck, but that's besides the point) and can get into it.

So basically, Czech...Czech yourself before you wreck yourself, boyee.

I'm saying that, in all likelihood, he won't like it. But there's a lot of jazz influence in the band I rec'd, and if you can APPRECIATE heavy music in the least for its musicianship, then you can APPRECIATE some songs that, at first, sound like utter chaos. You act as if everybody likes just one style of music, and want nothing but recs in that style. I know plenty of people that listen mostly to jam bands and classic rock, and then they hear something like As I Lay Dying (who suck, but that's besides the point) and can get into it.

So basically, Czech...Czech yourself before you wreck yourself, boyee.

but nowhere in his LIKES did he have anything close to the metal persuasion. also, when you say "in all likelihood he won't like it" it sorta negates your recommendation. czech isn't being all that illogical. although you did totally burn him with that ice cube-ish zinger. good work!

Actually, the "Czech yourself before you wreck yourself" was a line he used now and then a year or so ago, maybe even more. I remember the thread where it originated, something along the lines of him actually looking for a tagline.

But still, nowhere does he say he WON'T like some aspect of metal. He listed Mechanical Animals as an album he liked. A Marilyn Manson album. Manson, albeit not metal, shares many components with actual metal bands. See the correlation? Plus, Atomic Ballroom Calamity is actually worth a listen because of how different they actually are. Only other bands I've heard that they sound remotely like would be Dillinger Escape Plan and Candiria, and I hate both of those bands, but this one's actually pretty good.

Guest Felonies!

I don't know, when I recommend music to people, I generally don't preface it with "you probably won't like it."