TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 9/25 - 10/1

Nice to see Josh Beckett is still pitching true to form and is showing why he earned that extension:

6.2 IP 8 H 8 ER 1 BB 8 Ks 2 HR, putting his final ERA at 5.01. He's given up 38 HR, tying him with Carlos Silva for the major league lead.

Eh, Annibal Sanchez is pitching in the NL with zero pressure on him. He wouldn't be pitching that well in Boston. Same with Hanley Ramirez.

That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

And hey, at least Beckett didn't get blisters this year.

That was some night of baseball. Philly kept their playoff hopes alive. The Cardinals finally stopped their slide. The big losers were the Reds, who fell 3.5 back with four to play.

Today we have a convenient schedule. Houston/Pittsburgh kicks off at 12:35 ET, Roy Oswalt vs. Tom Gorzelanny. Dodgers/Colorado follows at 3pm with Brad Penny vs. Byung Hyun Kim. Philly and Washington finish their series at 7pm, and Milwaukee/St. Louis starts their final series with a game tonight. Meanwhile, ESPN2 is showing two American League games. Don't miss the race to for home field advantage!

Guest NYankees
Eh, Annibal Sanchez is pitching in the NL with zero pressure on him. He wouldn't be pitching that well in Boston. Same with Hanley Ramirez.

That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

And hey, at least Beckett didn't get blisters this year.

It sounds like you are living with your head in the sand. Tigers have the bases loaded with nobody out and down 7-0 to the Blue Jays in the bottom of the fourth. The Yankees have a 1 game lead on the Tigers for the best record in the AL and own the tie breaker against the Tigers.

Rain has delayed the game in Pittsburgh for my Houston Astros. Luckily it was scheduled for this afternoon and not at like 7:05. The rain should pass soon so Roy can go out and do his thing. Hopefully Doug Davis chooses not to suck tonite and makes things even more interesting in the NL Central.

Tigers have the bases loaded with nobody out and down 7-0 to the Blue Jays in the bottom of the fourth. The Yankees have a 1 game lead on the Tigers for the best record in the AL and own the tie breaker against the Tigers.

And they only got one run. Ahhhhhhhhahahahahaha. The Jays have been doing that consistently for the past two months; nice to see them do it to another team for a change.

I don't see how Albert Pujols isn't the NL MVP.

Howard has better numbers and equally shitty protection. It won't matter though because Albert won the MVP in the first 2 months of the season.

I don't see how Albert Pujols isn't the NL MVP.

Howard has better numbers and equally shitty protection. It won't matter though because Albert won the MVP in the first 2 months of the season.

They both have very similar numbers, except for home runs (58-47 Howard). Pujols has a slight lead in OPS (1100 to 1090) and OBP (.432 to .422). Their SLG numbers are virtually identical (.669 for Pujols, .668 for Howard). Pujols has also scored more runs (116 to 102), despite 60 fewer plate appearances.

I'd vote for Pujols ahead of Howard.

Throw in one thing for Pujols that isn't brought up much in the MVP debate and that he's the best defensive first baseman in the N.L. as well. Of course first base defense isn't nearly as important as other positions but considering his main competition (in the media at least) plays the same position, it should be brought into the discussion.

Even if Pujols is more deserving (which I believe he is), I think it's fair to say that if Howard hits two more home runs, he's going to win the award hands down.

Which is absurd, since homers shouldn't be what the determining factor. Pujols has more game-winning homers AND RBI than Howard. And Howard's still got Rollins and Utley setting the table for him. Who's Pujols got, Aaron Miles?

Pujols has as much, if not more, protection in the lineup as Lance Berkman, which isn't to say that Berkman will win the MVP (although I think that if neither the Cards nor the Phils get into the postseason and the Astros do, he's got a good chance at winning it). Also, Berkman's driven in 20% of Houston's total runs this season single-handedly. And he's played really good defense at 1st as well. Not dissenting that Pujols, as of right now, deserves it, just making a point.

I'm not saying it's fair. I'm just saying that 60 is a big round number, the kind that strikes voters right between the eyes and distracts them from anything else.

Did Penny get hurt, or was he yanked after 1 IP? Colorado's version of Brad Lidge just got pulled after leaving the bases loaded with 0 outs.