TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 9/25 - 10/1

Guest Princess Leena

And KC is used to only playing to ruin other team's good dreams. They're fighting.

Besides, both teams are in the playoffs. Who cares.

Hey I'm excited to see Detroit in the playoffs for the first time since I was maybe a week old. I just don't want to see them pull a Red Wings or Pistons and do shitty in the postseason. The way I see it is that the Tigers need to win the division to avoid the Yankees in the first round, especially since N.Y. will probably have homefield. If Detroit beats the A's and The Twins beat the Yankees, the Tigers have a better shot at making the W.S. If they make it to that point they have a chance against any N.L. team.

My problem with the Phillies in the postseason is that it'll give all the Abreu haters the false idea that trading him was really what got them going. Never mind the return of Myers and Wolf, or the developing Hamels, or the acquisition of Moyer, or Rollins and Utley remembering how to hit. Nope, it's all because they traded away Abreu.

Guest Princess Leena

Matchups don't really matter for baseball. You have to beat 2 of the 3 teams in your league.

If Yankees has homefield advantage, does it matter when you face the Yankees?

I dunno... ask the Yankees from two years ago... or the year before that... or the year before that.

Right, but MFerXtreme87 said he would prefer to face the A's because Yankees had homefield. My point is it wouldn't matter because if Yankees advanced and faced the Tigers in the LCS, it would still be Yankees' homefield.

Out of the 3 major sports, homefield advantage matters the least in baseball.

What are you excluding from the big four?

I would think in baseball it would matter the most, differing from the other three because in the other three, the only real thing different between the places is the environment/crowd, since the field/court/rink is a uniform size. In baseball you have numerous parks with differing dimensions, such that an easy pop-out in one park is a home run in another.

Just to be clear, I don't want to see Detroit face the Yankees b/c they haven't shown that they can beat them on a consistent basis. The homefield is not that big a deal to me, it's more the team they're facing. If the Twins beat the Yanks in the first round, the Tigers would avoid New York altogether.

But that works for both teams (the pop up HRs). In basketball the refs favor the home team, and in football the crowd does affect snap counts and the opposing team more than they do in baseball where the crowd, unless a rally is starting to go down, is usually not going crazy for the whole game.

I excluded hockey (I don't watch it, so i'm not sure how much it matters).

Guest Felonies!

Baseball is important due to differing outfield/foul dimensions and groundskeeping (Green Monster in Boston, giant foul ground in Oakland, carpet in Minnesota), and football is important because a significantly loud crowd can prevent the road team's offense from effectively calling audibles (Seattle, Minnesota). Hockey makes the least difference, I think. Look how many teams with home ice just drop like flies in the playoffs. It's practically a liability.

EDIT: By the way, these are good kinds of home field advantage, the stuff that makes it cool to compare one venue to another. The way the NBA's refs favor the home team is just incompetence.

Guest Felonies!
But that works for both teams (the pop up HRs).

True, but I imagine the home-team knows how to better exploit such "hot spots"

That, and teams build for their home parks. Boston teams over the years have been set up to take advantage of the Monster, whereas the old Whitey Herzog Royals and Cardinals were built with the deep fences and carpet of Royals Stadium and Busch Memorial Stadium in mind.

Guest Felonies!

Tim McCarver once missed a defensive substitution in the 3rd inning because that was when he took his daily shit. I didn't make this up.

Guest Felonies!

I'm looking forward to another great year of baseball AIM chats, guys! Let's rebound from 2005.

I forgot it was close to playoff time for a second.

Because you've been spoiled into not having your season conclude at the end of September

I'm looking forward to another great year of baseball AIM chats, guys!

Me too... it's time for me to wake up

Let's rebound from 2005.

Oh, let's not go there again

Because you've been spoiled into not having your season conclude at the end of September

Speaking of this, I wonder how that feels for Atlanta

Guest Paul

Yeah, pretty much.

Guest Felonies!
I'm looking forward to another great year of baseball AIM chats, guys!

Me too... it's time for me to wake up

Let's rebound from 2005.

Oh, let's not go there again

I actually think this could be a good postseason, and thus, good AIM chat. Last year, neither really got off the ground, until our side of things at the very end just got kinda ugly. October '04 was probably a real once-in-a-lifetime thing, but there's no way it's a yawner like last year.

I actually think this could be a good postseason, and thus, good AIM chat. Last year, neither really got off the ground, until our side of things at the very end just got kinda ugly. October '04 was probably a real once-in-a-lifetime thing, but there's no way it's a yawner like last year.

Porter's descent into madness, even as his own team was winning, was amusing.

Plus it gave rise to the whole "White Sox Fans: Loud and Proud Since A Couple of Minutes Ago" slogan, which the end of this season has readily demonstrated

Guest Felonies!

Plus it gave rise to the whole "White Sox Fans: Loud and Proud Since A Couple of Minutes Ago" slogan, which the end of this season has readily demonstrated

Cubs almost lost a hundred games this year and still outdrew the Sox by at least a few hundred thousand, I think. This is actually kind of ridiculous for all parties involved.

Guest Felonies!

True. So now is the excuse for not breaking 3 million as defending champs going to be that the Dan Ryan was torn up all summer? They spend years and years demanding a winner and now they can't even get to the park.

Glad to see I could provide entertainment. It's true that I've been quiet this year, and this might reflect badly on my fandom of the team, but at least I'm not actively rooting for another team like a certain Cub fan turned Twins fan. I'm still proud of my boys winning last year though.