TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Preseason Thread

It's fairly common knowledge that Rose and Isiah were constantly at odds in Indiana. Isiah would sit him for long stretches of games, and basically had no clue how to use his versatility. Walsh also promised him that the team would be built around him...part of which was Isiah needing Jalen's backing to get hired in the first place...when he signed his max deal, and Isiah came in and went in a different direction.

It's fairly common knowledge that Rose and Isiah were constantly at odds in Indiana. Isiah would sit him for long stretches of games, and basically had no clue how to use his versatility. Walsh also promised him that the team would be built around him...part of which was Isiah needing Jalen's backing to get hired in the first place...when he signed his max deal, and Isiah came in and went in a different direction.

None of which equals Isiah running him out of town.

Rose was playing a shade under 37 minutes per game under Thomas when he got traded, the same as Reggie Miller and Jermaine O'Neal were getting. The year before that he got 40 minutes a night under Thomas, more than even Reggie. For someone who "sat for long stretches of games" he sure played a lot of minutes under Thomas.

Rose also led the Pacers in field goal attempts in both seasons under Thomas.

His assists went down in 2002, which coincidently was also the year that Jamaal Tinsley came in, was healthy the whole season and was among the league leaders in assists, so what you call "no clue how to use his versatility" I call, "had a better distributer on the court". In 2001 they had Travis Best at the point, it made sense to have Jalen do more ball handling as Best was more effective as a scorer, and Rose almost matched his career high in assists. With Tinsley out there Rose became more of a wing player. The fact that Isiah used him in different roles shows that he fully understood how versatile Rose was. If there was a problem, maybe it was Jalen who had a problem with not handling the ball as much as he wanted to. Rose has been notorious for being unhappy with his role throughout his career, he's always wanted to run the point rather than be a wingman.

And either way, who's going to turn down Brad Miller/Ron Artest for Jalen Rose/Travis Best? That was a masterstroke by Donnie Walsh and/or fleecing of Jerry Krause.

Let's try this again. As long as the Knicks are a BILLION over the cap for the next 10 years they won't get any better. Nickel and dime draft picks that are thrown in in bad trades won't improve the team in the long run. Trading what amounts to $50 million and Antonio Davis for a few months of Jalen Rose's services and Renaldo Balkman is not a good move when they could have just let Davis walk at the end of last year, saved $17 million, and picked a no name like Balkman up as an undrafted free agent. If you think that's a good deal, then you're just completely hopeless when it comes to analyzing the moves the Knicks make.

Although thinking Rose was a good pickup in the first place, or that the Francis acquisition made sense, or that a passionless 14 & 7 for life Eddy Curry for 2 # 1's which turned out to be either Aldredge/Thomas/Bargnani/Roy/Foye etc + another # 1 was good for the team speak to your cluelessness as well.

In the entire tri-state area you're the ONLY Knicks fan who cheers every move Isiah makes, and for the life of me I can't understand how you can think that way given the results and the team that they can field now.

1) They'll save the money anyway. Like you said, they are billions over the cap; what difference does it make if they save it after last year, or after this year? Either way at the end of the year about 60 million is coming off the cap (Rose, Taylor, Houston, Anderson, Williams, I think that's it). We'll be around the $75-80 million cap mark. Sure, we'd still be 30 million or so over the cap, but you gotta start somewhere I guess, and making sure we don't add anymore by cutting Taylor and Rose weren't horrible moves.

2) Balkman was going to be picked by the Suns, and I didn't like the pick either, but the way he's played in the preseason, it's looking like a good pick.

3) Roy already explained why the trade wasn't bad at the time, and I didn't mind the Francis trade because we gave up nothing in return for a star player. Chances are, we won't be under the cap till Marbury's contract runs out, and thats the same year Francis' runs out, so it's not a horrible move to see if they can work together. If can't, Francis doesn't have horrible value either.

4) Hinsight is 20/20. At the time the Knicks were a 13th to 16th pick in the draft, especially with Larry at the helm, so it didn't seem like a bad move at all to trade for a 22 year old who's 7 foot tall, and has a productive low post game. He hasn't even hit his prime yet, so I don't see this 14 and 7 stuff for live.

5) I didn't like the Balkman pick at the time. I didn't like the Taylor trade or the Jeffries signing (although this team desperately needs defense). But the reason overall as to why I don't mind the moves too much that Isiah is making is because he's acquiring players at or before hitting their prime. Yes, we could have just scrapped it all out when he came in as GM and rebuild, but what's done is done. Atleast we have Curry, Frye, Crawford, Richardson, Robinson, Lee, Balkman, Collins, and Jeffries all at 25 years of age or younger. No one on the team is 30 years old, and that atleast is an accomplishment.

Whether you hate me for thinking that way or what, I don't give a shit. Really, It's not like I haven't tried rationalizing the moves somewhat, and even when I do you go back to the "IF YOU LIKE ISIAH SO MUCH WHY DONT YOU MARRY HIM!" argument. So whatever.

Current rumor is that the Heat picks up Rose to back up Gary Payton at PG.

I think the rest of the Eastern Conference would like to give Isaiah a collective stomp in the nuts now for letting the Heat pick up yet another veteran at a cut-rate price.

Guest Felonies!

Remember, the Bulls have the option to trade draft picks with New York at the end of the season. Let's see these guys win ten games all year.

If T-Mac plays in early 05 form and Yao plays in early 06 form while both guys stay healthy, watch out for the Rockets. I like some of the spot-up shooters and defenders signed in the off season, but it all comes back to the big two staying healthy. If they can, I'll say the Rockets are a top 4 team.

Hey, this one isn't looking so bad. Sure, T-Mac's had his annual back spasms and Yao hurt his leg, but the team has proven to be dangerous with only one of the big two playing at a time. If T-Mac rests down the stretch, while Yao comes back with a couple months rest, you're looking at a real playoff threat.

I'm glad I stayed out of the predictions arena for the most part this year. I just didn't have a feel for the teams coming into the year and I still don't. I think things are really wide open. I wouldn't be surprised to see any Phoenix, Dallas or San Antonio win it, and I wouldn't discount Houston, Miami, Chicago, LA or Utah entirely. Crazy stuff.

1) Who will win the MVP? Dirk Nowitzki. They can't deny him forever.

2) Who will win the ROTY? Adam Morrison

3) Which team will be most improved in 2005-06? With good health, Utah. If not, Chicago.

4) What player(s) is most likely have a breakout season? Josh Smith

5) What team had the best offseason? San Antonio

6) What team had the worst offseason? Memphis

7) What one move will make the biggest impact? Ben Wallace to the Bulls.

8) What was the most surprising move of the offseason? Ben Wallace leaving Detroit.

9) What was the most underrated move of the offseason? Shane Battier going to the Rockets.

10) What was the single worst move of the offseason? Nene's contract.

11) What team(s) will move into the playoff picture? Orlando, Houston, Utah

12) What team(s) will fall out of the playoff picture? Milwaukee, LA Lakers, Memphis

13) Who is the best player in the league at each position? Nash, Bryant, McGrady, Garnett, Yao

14) Will Isiah Thomas still be with the Knicks after this season? No

15) Will Kevin Garnett still be with the Wolves after this season? No

16) Will Allen Iverson still be with the Sixers after this season? Yes

17) Division winners: New Jersey, Chicago, Miami, San Antonio, Utah, Phoenix

18) Eastern Conference Finals: Miami over Chicago

19) Western Conference Finals: San Antonio over Phoenix

20) NBA Finals: San Antonio over Miami

21) Make one bold prediction. Gilbert Arenas will, in fact, get his 50 against the Suns and Blazers.

1) Dirk could definitely still get it, but my choice right now is Kobe. However, it's looking a lot like Nash may well get the three-peat from the league.

2) Unlikely to happen at this point, unless Roy goes down again.

3) Was looking pretty good on this one until this weekend.

4) He's doing all right, but I expected him to have a much bigger role offensively, something like 17-19 ppg.

5) Pretty far off on this one. Elson's been good in short spurts, I guess, but Butler's pretty much gotten no burn.

6) I'll give myself this point, can't really think of any other examples that stand out.

7) Same as 6. He hasn't really made that big of a difference, but I can't really think of anyone who's done more.

11) Looks good, although Orlando may end up on the outside again when it's all done, assuming Miami comes back.

12) Yeah, yeah.

13) Dirk in Garnett's spot. Can't believe I didn't have him there in the first place now.

14-16) Wow. I fucked up pretty royally on these.

17) I think I'll end up right on the Atlantic, Northwest and Pacific. We'll probably get Detroit, Dallas, and Washington in the other ones. Probably too late for Miami in terms of the division title.

18) Detroit over Washington

19) TBD (San Antonio, Dallas, or Phoenix)

20) One of the three teams above over Detroit

21) Halfway there.