TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Atticus Chaos

Dixie carter interview

In a rare interview, TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter on Thursday (Sept. 28, 2006), spoke openly with Ross Forman who has covered pro wrestling for 15 years. Dixie was quite candid, addressing Kurt Angle’s signing, drug use in pro wrestling, TNA’s move to prime-time (Thursdays, 9 p.m. ET/PT, SpikeTV) and even Bill Goldberg.

By Ross Forman

The signing of Kurt Angle by TNA Wrestling will go down as the most pivotal move in the history of the Nashville-based company.

Angle’s long-term contract with TNA is a landmark moment, one that changed the landscape of pro wrestling as we know it. Angle’s acquisition by TNA ranks right there with what the New World Order (nWo) did for World Championship Wrestling (WCW) and pro wrestling in 1996.

Clearly, TNA’s acquisition of Angle makes it easy for the folks at Pro Wrestling Illustrated when they start compiling their annual list of The 10 Biggest News Stories of 2006. This transaction will have ramifications for years to come, without a doubt.

“We’re absolutely thrilled to have signed Kurt Angle. He is a huge addition to the TNA roster,” said TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter. “Once I knew that Kurt would be available, we immediately wanted to talk with him and, hopefully, sign him.”

The Angle announcement at the end of the No Surrender pay-per-view on Sept. 24 was one of those rare wrestling moments – a surprise announcement was hyped, the secret was actually kept and then the announcement lived up to the hype.

Carter said that, before the on-air announcement was made, there were less than 10 people in the company who know for a fact that it would be Angle. And all who had been informed about Angle were first required to sign a Confidentiality Agreement.

“Knowing how big this announcement was for TNA, I just felt it could be one of the true surprises in pro wrestling,” she said.

The Angle signing, though, came with a bit of negative feedback. Fans questioned whether it was too soon following his departure from World Wrestling Entertainment because there were questions about his health status and a rumored drug-use problem.

“Am I shocked by some of the negative response? I’m more saddened by it – for Kurt,” Carter said. “I know this has hurt him very much.

“TNA would never sign a talent, or allow a talent to be in a situation to harm themselves more than the risk each of these guys takes every time they step into the ring. I truly believe that every TNA wrestler, referee, broadcaster and front-office employee knows that their health and their family come first. TNA is their livelihood, and they are all very passionate about it, but it is still just a job.”

As far as you know, what is Kurt Angle’s current health status?

“Kurt has been cleared by his team of doctors to wrestle, and I have that verification from the doctors.”

What did TNA do to make sure that problems in Kurt’s past, including anything drug-related, have been addressed?

“I have personally met with Kurt and his wife. All past medical and pain medication issues have been addressed in depth and to my satisfaction. We have assembled a team of doctors around Kurt to monitor past injuries and also oversee his health on an ongoing basis.

“Kurt will personally address specific questions about his past, not me.”

The issue of drug use in pro wrestling has been a problem for years, with several drug-related deaths. Does that worry you?

“It’s a huge concern, of course. First, one of the benefits of working for TNA Wrestling is the schedule that our talent has, which prevents the enormous, physical strain on a body. Second, our talent does not secure their spot on our roster by the mass of their bodies. If a TNA star is injured, or has personal issues that he or she needs to address, that talent will not be put in a situation where he or she has to wrestle. The talent might still be on-air in a different capacity, but we would never do anything that could lead to further injury. If a leave-of-absence is necessary for treatment, it is an option which we have utilized in the past.”

What is the TNA Wrestling drug policy?

“TNA Wrestling has a very strict drug and alcohol policy, and each contracted talent signs an acknowledgement of the policy set forth. Drug use and alcohol abuse are issues we take very seriously. TNA has the right to conduct random drug-tests and other tests in accordance with government requirements. Violations of the policy are spelled out and failure to comply or failure of a test can result in mandatory drug counseling and treatment, suspension from work without pay, up to and including dismissal. We do not address the specifics of this policy publicly as we are a private company and our talent are independent contractors.”

The fact that you signed Kurt when there was so much discussion that he instead would be signing with an MMA company. Talk about that.

“It is true that all MMA companies have shown an interest in Kurt and, yes, Kurt does have an interest in pursuing MMA opportunities. When the MMA rumors came out recently, Kurt had already signed with TNA; however, TNA was not ready to make the announcement of his joining our company at that time.”

What do you say to everyone else in the TNA Locker Room who, perhaps rightfully so, is worried about their air-time due to Angle’s arrival?

“When a football team signs a superstar quarterback, it benefits the entire team. I’ve never made it a secret that the guys who brought us to the dance will remain a priority to this company. Kurt is well aware of that and supports this belief 100 percent.”

Who do you see as Kurt’s first opponent in TNA?

“There are a multitude of dream-matches for Angle in TNA, but, at this time, I’m not sure who will be the first to step into the ring against Angle.”

How much does Angle’s arrival impact a potential move to two hours on a regular basis?

“The deal to move to prime-time on SpikeTV was done prior to signing Kurt. One thing I think is so great about Kurt is that he wanted to be a part of TNA without even knowing that the company was moving to prime-time. He wanted to make that leap because he knew the potential was there and he wanted to be part of making it happen. That’s how much he wants to be a part of TNA.”

That said, how much will Angle’s presence affect a potential full-time, two-hour time-slot?

“To me, there’s no doubt we are going to two hours; it’s just a matter of when.”

What about Bill Goldberg?

“Bill has a lot of exciting things going on in his career right now. TNA would be the perfect place for him to continue those pursuits while stepping back in the ring to write one last chapter of a storied wrestling career. Bill is very talented and he would be another great addition to our roster.”

Part Two of Ross Forman’s exclusive interview of Dixie Carter will feature her comments about Vince Russo, Vince McMahon, TNA’s prime-time move and more – available here at TNAwrestling.com on Wednesday, Oct. 4

---TNAWrestling.com