TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Craig Th

Bears vs. Giants to Be NBC's First Flex Game

From MediaWeek.com

Bears vs. Giants to Be NBC's First Flex Game

John Consoli

OCTOBER 24, 2006 -

The Chicago Bears vs. the New York Giants on Nov. 12 will be the first National Football League game to be moved from afternoon to night as part of NBC's flexible scheduling agreement with the league. The game was originally scheduled to air on Fox at 1 p.m. that day, but will now air on NBC's Sunday Night Football at 8:15 p.m.

Under its TV rights deal with the NFL, NBC on Sundays in Week 10-15 of the NFL schedule, gets to pick its game from the daytime schedules of CBS and Fox no later than 12 days prior to its being played. This game is a marquee matchup with the Giants currently with a 4-2 record and the Bears undefeated at 6-0, both leading their respective divisions.

Sources familiar with the flex schedule provision told Mediaweek that although just announced, potential games to be selected were determined prior to the start of the season, with NBC having the option to ask the league for a replacement game. In this case, with such a high profile matchup, NBC decided to go with this game.

Under the provision, NBC can ask the league to give it a different game other than the game pre-selected as the flex schedule game prior to the start of the season, and the NFL has the option of offering another game.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

They should move the Bears/Bucs game on 12-17 to the night game, just so it's even colder.

Looking into the season, this is how I see NBC taking the rest of the season

Week 11: St. Louis @ Carolina or Cincinnati @ New Orleans (A lot of good options this week)

Week 12: Chicago @ New England (Indy/Philly is possible if they don't want to overload on Chicago games)

Week 13: Seattle @ Denver (pretty crummy week)

Week 14: Indy @ Jacksonville or New Orleans/Dallas

Week 15: Kansas City @ San Diego (Another poor list of choices)

Week 16: Carolina @ Atlanta or NO/NYG (Strong week)

Week 17: Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati

Haven't they won 2 games in primetime so far this season?

I hope you don't think the Cardinals game was a good game by the Bears? Well defense, sure, but offense?

hey, gotta have at least one shitty game a season.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm not in favor of these Sunday Night game selections, btw.

Plus, I doubt it lasts long, since I know specific owners (Ralph Wilson, especially) hate hosting night games.

Plus, I doubt it lasts long, since I know specific owners (Ralph Wilson, especially) hate hosting night games.

If they pull in the ratings they will continue.

Week 11 should be Ravens/Falcons. Vick vs the Ravens Defense! But I bet they take SD/Denver cause its a rivalry/division game

Given how the Steelers are playing neither of their games with Pittsburgh would make for national tv despite the rivalry, their other game with Cincy is on Thursday Night (Argh!)..

So is it his plan to make a really crappy team that will never be chosen by NBC to host a Sunday Night game?

So is it his plan to make a really crappy team that will never be chosen by NBC to host a Sunday Night game?

If so, it's working to perfection.

The same defense that let Steve Smith destroy them? I can see Vick and Dunn running all over them, but hopefully not. I hate Atlanta.

The falcons WR are garbage and the Ravens defense is still really good vs the run. Lets not all forget what happened the last time the Ravens and Falcons played..^bone snap sound^

The same defense that let Steve Smith destroy them? I can see Vick and Dunn running all over them, but hopefully not. I hate Atlanta.

The falcons WR are garbage and the Ravens defense is still really good vs the run. Lets not all forget what happened the last time the Ravens and Falcons played..^bone snap sound^

We can only hope.