TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/31 - 11/5

They have artificially low SOS rankings in relation to their overall ranking because they haven't played their toughest games yet. If Florida hadn't played Auburn, LSU, or Tennessee yet, they'd have a low SOS rating too. Beating two undefeated teams ranked in the Top 20 of most computer ranking systems has to be worth something.

Spicy, I'd say those undefeated teams have tough home stretches each. West Virginia has the toughest of the 3 though. I don't know if I'd argue a National Championship but I could see West Virginia making a case if they go undefeated.

Louisville: #3 West Virginia, #15 Rutgers, a current 5-3 South Florida team, and a current 6-2 Pittsburgh team before an easy game over Connecticut.

West Virginia: #5 Louisville, 5-4 Cincinnati, 6-2 Pittsburgh, 5-3 South Florida, and #15 Rutgers.

Rutgers: #5 Louisville, 5-4 Cincinnati, gimme vs. Syracuse, and #3 West Virginia.

Per collegebcs.com using the old SOS formula that was used in the BCS from 1999-2003 here are the SOS rankings for the current BCS Top 10 plus Rutgers.

1. Florida

3. USC

4. California

5. Michigan

6. Notre Dame

7. Ohio State

15. Auburn

24. Texas

45. Louisville

67. Rutgers

92. West Virginia

Now here are their rankings taking into account who they've played and who they will play although obviously can't take into account potential conference title games.

2. USC

3. Michigan

9. Ohio State

12. Auburn

16. Texas

17. Florida

21. California

27. Louisville

42. West Virginia

45t. Notre Dame

45t. Rutgers

As far as I've found, these are the conferences with automatic bids (looks like some great teams may get screwed).

Gateway

Southern

Atlantic 10

Southland

Ohio Valley

Patriot League

MEAC

Big Sky

Everyone in the Southland is .500 or less. My alma mater is a Southland school and quite frankly based on the entire conference performance, the league should lose their autobid this year. It's been a putrid performance both in and out of conference for most of the teams.

And I think the greatest travesty this year is that North Dakota State is not yet playoff elidgible since they are still transitional. They would really tear up the tournament in my opinion.

Glad to see some I-AA talk going on :D

Guest Princess Leena

MSU should take the initiative and fire him in the next 3 weeks while they can. Give Smith what he deserves.

But, the possibility of playing in the Toilet Bowl as a 6-6 team means cash, so blah.

Guest Princess Leena

I dislike the SOS argument with the Big East.

However the Big East goes (and they're strong this year, so it's moot), you can't penalize them severely for that. You can only play what the schedule gives you, and it's not their fault other schools bolted to the ACC. Plus, the Big East teams have been successful enough against other conference in the past few years to not render them as a non-BCS conference.

What you can penalize teams for is playing nothing but cupcakes in the offseason.

Louisville, definitely has not done that. They played Miami, a yearly powerhouse. At KSU. Kentucky, a middle SEC team. That's respectable.

WVU and Rutgers, you can make a case for. Outside of hosting Maryland, WVU has basically played garbage. Rutgers has umm Navy. Although, they probably didn't expect UNC and Illinois would be so putrid when they scheduled them as opponents.

But, then when you weigh them against what other teams schedule in their non-conference games, like Iggy said, you just can't dismiss the Big East teams.

Well, if you are Rutgers would you really schedule insane OOC games? It's not like Rutgers has been good for a long time. They probably wanted feasible OOC games against major conf. opponents that they might have a chance of beating.

Now WVU? They need to schedule maybe 1 more quality OOC opponent.

I wouldn't, because it was last season. You just can't use season-to-season stuff in college football. But I still think WVU would be an okay contender, as long as they beat everybody.

I wouldn't, because it was last season. You just can't use season-to-season stuff in college football. But I still think WVU would be an okay contender, as long as they beat everybody.

I know that's dangerous but when you look at this year's team you have to think it's at least as good as last year's, which beat a quality team in a major bowl game. It's not like WVU lost a Vince Young or Reggie Bush in the offseason. So while that win should not go into their poll ranking or anything, it does suggest they arn't just some fluke out of nowhere like Rutgers or something.

FWIW, Maryland's pretty decent this year. Outside of the WVU game, their only loss was a 4-point loss at Georgia Tech where they had the ball inside the GT 10 with under 1:00 to go.

They've got wins over Virginia, NC State, and Florida State, and they're currently tied for first in the ACC Atlantic division.

West Virginia was up 28-0 on Maryland after the first quarter and 38-10 at the half en route to a 45-24 victory.

You've got to be kidding me Iggy... Rutgers schedule strength is in the tank, too. I don't know how many times I have to say this, beating an undefeated team doesn't mean anything if that undefeated team didn't beat anybody meaningful. I've got numbers to back me up:

A&H

Rutgers: 50

Louisville: 55

West Virginia: 86

Colley Matrix

Rutgers: 76

Louisville: 85

West Virginia: 99

Kenneth Massey

Rutgers: 77

Louisville: 61

West Virginia: 80

Jeff Sagarin

Rutgers: 97

Louisville: 70

West Virginia: 89

Outside of Texas, not one team in the top 10 on average has a schedule strength rating north of 30. I'm not grumpy about Oregon State, in fact I'm encouraged after what I saw in the fourth quarter, especially out of Booty. I don't want an Ohio State/Michigan rematch. The loser of that game will have had their chance and should not get another shot in what is effectively the very next game. It should be another one loss team, anybody other than Texas, rather than an undefeated team from a conference that is no better then conference USA, or the Mac.

what the fuck would make USC,Florida,Tennessee,Arkansas more deserving than Michigan?...discrediting a team because the time of the year they lost is the dumbest crock of shit ive ever heard...Michigan's only loss would be to the current number 1 team on the road.....I guess they would be better off doing the equivalent of what USC did and lose to Indiana and have their loss then...and if its Ohio State the loser...they would have had their only loss to the current number 1...and both teams have been dominant all year against solid competition...and they are the only 2 teams that can say that...from where we stand today...Michigan vs Ohio State is the only game suitable for the national championship no matter the outcome in 17 days...maybe that can change...but I am speaking for today...and its not like there isnt past precedence of a rematch being the championship game...the best 2 teams are the best 2 teams

Guest Princess Leena
Well, if you are Rutgers would you really schedule insane OOC games? It's not like Rutgers has been good for a long time. They probably wanted feasible OOC games against major conf. opponents that they might have a chance of beating.

Now WVU? They need to schedule maybe 1 more quality OOC opponent.

True. Even Rutgers personnel probably would have laughed 2-3 years ago if you mentioned they'd be national title contenders now. But, that doesn't change anything.

Guest Princess Leena

That poll isn't surprising...

Most people probably haven't even watched either team play yet, or only saw one game. Whereas WVU is still getting respect for the Georgia win last year. And the most news you here about Louisville is about Bush and Brohm getting injured.

Hey the last time I saw a state graphic like that was before the World Series where Missouri was the only state that picked the Cardinals to beat the Tigers.

There's something bizarre about U of L having the blue though. Interesting that the team favored by oddsmakers by 1 1/2 or 2 gets only 35%.

what the fuck would make USC,Florida,Tennessee,Arkansas more deserving than Michigan?...discrediting a team because the time of the year they lost is the dumbest crock of shit ive ever heard...Michigan's only loss would be to the current number 1 team on the road.....I guess they would be better off doing the equivalent of what USC did and lose to Indiana and have their loss then...and if its Ohio State the loser...they would have had their only loss to the current number 1...and both teams have been dominant all year against solid competition...and they are the only 2 teams that can say that...from where we stand today...Michigan vs Ohio State is the only game suitable for the national championship no matter the outcome in 17 days...maybe that can change...but I am speaking for today...and its not like there isnt past precedence of a rematch being the championship game...the best 2 teams are the best 2 teams

What a defeatist attitude... you're ASSUMING your team is going to lose?? Christ almighty, I never said Michigan was going to lose. I said the loser should not get a chance to play in the national championship. I guess that's a Wolverine for you... assume you're going to lose and start coming up with preemptive excuses (you sound like a politician). First of all, I think Michigan is better than Ohio State. Michigan's schedule has been much more solid (even with their crap OOC opponents). And yes, time of year DOES matter. Ohio State beat the #2 team in the country on the road. Guess what? Texas is NOT "#2 team in the country" material. I'm not saying Michigan should have lost early, I'm saying they shouldn't lose AT ALL. I'm also not saying there isn't a precedent. I'm saying the Ohio State/Michigan game is DIRECTLY followed by the national championship for those two teams. The loser of the game will prove they don't belong there. Let's say Michigan beats Ohio State. Well, if Ohio State wins the BCS rematch, how are they really champs? All it would prove is that both teams are even.

Michigan's schedule has been much more solid (even with their crap OOC opponents).

Notre Dame on the road is a "crap OOC opponent"? Sure the rest of their OOC schedule is nothing spectacular, but for a big ticket team one game against a marquee opponent should be enough.

I don't think there's any way to really prove that the Michigan and OSU loser is really the #2 team. I think the national title game should be a matchup that is new and exciting. Whoever loses there is bound to drop a few spots in the polls, enough to where an unbeaten Big East team would slide in.

The nightmare scenario for the BCS is if U of L beats WVU, Rutgers beats U of L, and WVU beats Rutgers. At that point I am not sure who would play Ohio St./Michigan for the title. There would be only one other likely unbeaten team out there, and that is.....

Boise State.

I think you could make a pretty legitimate argument for a one-loss Florida team over a one-loss Big Ten team, since by the end of the year, they'd have beaten Tennessee on the road, beaten LSU, and avenged their road loss to Auburn at a neutral site.

Michigan meanwhile would have the road win over Notre Dame and the home win over Wisconsin would have a less demanding schedule and would have "proven" they weren't as good as Ohio State whereas Florida would have "proven" that they were better than everyone on their schedule.

If Ohio State loses, I think they're done since they'd have a home loss. You can't have a rematch where the team that just lost at home tries to get it done at a neutral site. Florida didn't lose at home this season and again, it would be really easy to discount that road loss to Auburn if they beat them at a neutral site.

If Florida, WVU, Louisville, and Rutgers all lose though, I think I'd have to rank the Michigan/Ohio State loser #2 at the end of the season. I don't see how you can have a Tennessee team that lost at home or a Cal team that got pounded by Tennessee or a Texas team that lost to OSU at home ahead of a one-loss Ohio State or Michigan.

Guest Princess Leena

Michigan's schedule has been much more solid (even with their crap OOC opponents).

Notre Dame on the road is a "crap OOC opponent"? Sure the rest of their OOC schedule is nothing spectacular, but for a big ticket team one game against a marquee opponent should be enough.

I'll take crap for this, but I don't believe ND is a marquee opponent. They haven't been a Top 10 team in over a decade. And unless ND wins at USC, they're definitely not a Top 10 team now. Michigan's body of work just doesn't impress me.

All I know is that if a 1-loss team is in the title game, it will be total chaos.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, am I ever pissed off. All season, The Score has picked up the ESPN Thursday night game here in Canada. The first week they didn't? Tonight.

I've been looking forward to seeing this game all week. :angry:

This game kinda rocks. West Virginia needs to score on the opening drive of the second half or risk losing control. Louisville won't fail in the red zone every time.

What a defeatist attitude... you're ASSUMING your team is going to lose?? Christ almighty, I never said Michigan was going to lose. I said the loser should not get a chance to play in the national championship. I guess that's a Wolverine for you... assume you're going to lose and start coming up with preemptive excuses (you sound like a politician). First of all, I think Michigan is better than Ohio State. Michigan's schedule has been much more solid (even with their crap OOC opponents). And yes, time of year DOES matter. Ohio State beat the #2 team in the country on the road. Guess what? Texas is NOT "#2 team in the country" material. I'm not saying Michigan should have lost early, I'm saying they shouldn't lose AT ALL. I'm also not saying there isn't a precedent. I'm saying the Ohio State/Michigan game is DIRECTLY followed by the national championship for those two teams. The loser of the game will prove they don't belong there. Let's say Michigan beats Ohio State. Well, if Ohio State wins the BCS rematch, how are they really champs? All it would prove is that both teams are even.

Actually I dont think Ohio State or any team can move the ball consistently on Michigan's defense so im not assming at all...it is what you call a hypothetical....its just that you are not making any sense...you are saying a team that lost to Oregon State belongs there whereas a team that dominated all year then loses to the number 1 team wouldnt because they played the number 1 team already....that stupid....and I guess Notre Dame is crap too...thats just delusional