TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/31 - 11/5

4 plays! 3 fumbles! The lights go out! Ridiculous stuff. West Virginia's coughing it up anytime they get hit or stood up, and Louisville's guys have already fallen over in the open field at least twice. Sloppy indeed.

Goodnight, Mountaineers.

The question now (assuming a Louisville win)...can THEY get to #3 in the BCS? WV was a given, since they were already there, but will the voters rank Louisville ahead of Texas? And if so, will that be enough to push them past Florida?

The big problem with this drive: it lasted about 9 minutes. Got the score, but the all-White show takes too much time when you're down this much. They need Slaton or they're going to run out of time.

Anyone else go for 2 there?

I would've. You don't make it you haven't really lost anything, since you're still only 2 scores down. You make it, you're only a TD and 2 down. As long as that last touchdown drive was, I'm not sure WV has enough time for 2 scoring drives if Louisville can run off some clock.

When Louisville gets a lead and gets confidence like this, that passing game's absolutely unstoppable. That confidence thing's also part of the reason they're so much better at home than on the road. Anyway, based on this performance, I think the Cardinals will definitely go to #3 in the BCS next week.

Now who would have thought Rutgers would ever play a game that could put themselves in the national title picture with a win? That's what we get a week from tonight.

Going back to what CanadianChris said, yes Louisville can hop Florida. They are already ahead in both human polls and they'll obviously get a boost in the computer rankings. The team that potentially could benefit the most from tonight's game is Texas as they might move to #3 in both human polls although if Louisville can keep this at a convincing margin they likely would jump the Longhorns in the human polls.

Well, after tonight's performance and very good win, I think I'd be happy with Louisville at #3. Their weaknesses are no different than those of a Texas team that gave up over 300 yards passing to Baylor and spotted Texas Tech 21 points. With solid victories over Nebraska and Oklahoma, Texas has a slightly better resume, but probably not enough to account for one loss. Florida and Auburn have been too inconsistent on offense, particularly Florida, who's still struggling to break open their scoring without a standard running game. I was extremely impressed by Petrino's playcalling tonight, especially his decision to continually go for the kill and never let up on the passing game. Brohm played his best game of the season and can lead these guys through the rest of the season handily if he keeps it up.

Rutgers next week should be another cool Thursday night game.

Fun game to watch. I've always kind of liked Louisville since back when they were in C-USA, and I'm glad to see them in the heart of the national title picture now.

Too bad the national title game has already been predetermined to be Ohio State vs Michigan no matter what happens. Lousiville, WVU, Rutgers, etc will be lucky to play in the Sears Diehard Battery Bowl Game in Las Vegas in late December.

Man, I can breathe a sign of relief for now. If anyone cares to search for my comments back in the original college football thread in the preseason, go for it. That's where I flat out said U of L would beat WVU's asses for what happened last year.

It's funny, but I don't feel all that elated about this win tonight. Almost as if we could have really stomped the piss out of them had we played better. Maybe that and also Rutgers looming on the horizon next week.

And we better fucking be #3 in everything next week. There is no excuse not to be.

Actually, to be honest, I'll probably keep the Cards at #4 behind Florida this week. I just have to see them perform up to capacity once on the road before I'm truly sold on them. Beat Rutgers though, (even by 1), and they'll be ahead of those one-loss teams for the rest of the season.

Here is my quote from the Aug. 4 preseason football thread:

"I don't know what U of L is going to do this year overall, but I do know we're going to FUCK UP WVU. You can write it down, and then if WVU comes here and wins that game everyone on this board can make fun of me for months. I'm serious, those assholes screwed us out of the BCS last year and it's payback time. And yes, screwed is the correct term...even the Big East office admitted it."

Just wondering but what makes Florida so highly regarded by the BCS? They aren't all that high in the polls and Auburn handled them. Why are they high and someone like Arkansas isn't?

Conference and initial ranking. The voters won't forget that USC whooped the Hogs ass, even though Arkansas is a completely different team now.

I'll sig bet anyone that the Hogs beat Tennessee. OH SHIT, the Tigers play Tennessee. Man, I'm tired.

Arkansas's low in the polls because they got handled by USC and because they barely beat Vandy and Alabama.

Florida's high in the computers because they've played the toughest schedule in the country (at Tennessee, LSU, at Auburn). They didn't really get "handled" by Auburn either. They led late in the fourth quarter and still had a chance to win on the last play. If they get a rematch at a neutral field, they'll probably be favored.

Guest Princess Leena

The BCS rankings are also really, really tight. Other than Louisville taking a solid hold of the #3 spot this week, it's going to be madness every week from 4-10.

If Louisville doesn't win out, it's gonna be so damn ugly.

I might on some level tolerate being screwed over in favor of the Michigan/OSU loser. Personally I think those two teams are the best in the country (U of L might have a slight shot at beating Michigan, not much of a chance vs. OSU).

Florida has quite a bit of work to do as well. Yeah, FSU sucks this year but at home they might muster up a last stand in a rivalry game. And there's always the SEC title game.