TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Decemberists

WON TNA News and Notes - November 13th

What gets me is that Sapp has been around for about eight years now (and maybe longer) and they just now decided to have a bidding war for the guy.

Was he under some unbreakable contract or did each promotion finally realize that Cena and/or Joe, and nostalgia wasn't going to be enough.

From what I know, PRIDE had a deal with him, and then he transfered to K-1, who has had him under lock and key for most of his run.

All his popularity happened in K-1. Despite my feelings that he would have done better in MMA, he did alright in K-1 for awhile due to his sheer power. In any case, K-1 has had him signed to a death contract. They controlled all his bookings, got all kinds of fees for anything they lended him out to, and such. K-1 made a shitload of money off Sapp.

Sapp wants out of his K-1 deal, and is trying to fight it. As such, right now, he's a free agent. It's kinda like the Brock/WWE deal, where Sapp thinks his contact has been voided due to a circumstance over pay from an event in Holland, and the fact that K-1 has no intentions of using Sapp again...they just want to hold onto him to keep OTHERS from not using him. No promotion in Japan seems willing to challenge K-1 over Sapp, but in the US it's a totally different matter. K-1 likely won't fight as hard if Sapp goes to the US...Much like how WWE didn't fight as hard as they would over Brock had he been in TNA. K-1 doesn't have the market penetration to really fight as much as they could in Japan, and Sapp's participation in TNA or WWE won't hurt them nearly as much as a Japanese promotion would.

The major roadblock for Sapp, is that he doesn't want to be "owned" again like K-1 did. He wants to be free to do what he wants, when he wants. He also would probably want quite a bit of money to work for a promotion. Besides those two things, TNA would be IDIOTS not to grab Sapp.

But it is TNA we're talking about.

It would sound like TNA would be ideal for him. Just work a contract for the tv tapings, PPV and 1/4 of the house shows in 2007.

I think if TNA is willing to pay out the ass for Sting, they'd have to give into Sapp here.

Based upon the Muta match, it looks like Sapp can sell a little bit, but he pulls his kicks and punches WAY too much. I did like his gutwrench suplex at the beginning though. And the plancha is a WTF moment. If they let him stick to brute force moves and have someone in there that can cover his weaknesses, he oughta be ok.

Oh yeah, he has to keep the entrance as well.

As for SoCal Val, I had to look her up as I've never heard of her. If I'm correct, isn't she a whiny daddy's girl? This will be quite a departure for her, unless they have her getting back at daddy. Hey, make her Larry Zbysko's daughter! Wait, didn't he get fired for losing the Eric Young match?

So he's like a younger black Hogan?

If TNA, or WWE for that matter, had smart people booking Sapp would be the next Hulk Hogan.

I agree 100%.

HTQ is DEAD ON here.

The man is a charismatic Beast. Who could believeably kill anyoone.

A 4th grader could make money with him.

Guest Coffey
Japan is so weird. Sapp's entrance defied all reason, logic, and description.

I know Bob needs a lot of work on those clotheslines. My goodness.

You also have to keep in mind, is Sapp isn't just some huge dude. Those punches and kicks he heavily pulled were what could have won him a K-1 GP had he not broke his hand on Ernesto Hoost's head in the first round.

Sapp kinda HAS to pull his blows alot due to the sheer power he possesses. Granted, he can do better, but the man has more power then even Vader did.

I gotta admit, if he pulled that big arm back and I had to watch it flying forward then I'd be praying he was pulling his punches too. His punches were always telegraphed even when he was fighting for real but when they made contact...damn.

He needs work but he seems like he has already learned alot more than some have. And he sings so he can do his own awesome entrance music.

Need I remind you:

IT'S BOB SAPP TIME

I know he has to pull his punches and I'm not arguing it (shit, if I were his opponent I wouldn't care how bad it looked as long as he did it). I'm just saying that he can probably make it look a little less obvious. It's obvious he's got a ton of charisma and looks like he's always having fun when he's in front of a camera. He's a showman.

That confrontation video is great. I like the person laughing off camera. Bob does that on TNA, he's instantly a top face.

TNA would have problems booking him for two reasons:

1.There's nobody close to his size and he would make Abyss look small.

2.The creative team(mainly Mantell and Jarrett) like to go far with booking and will probably put him in the main event his first ppv.

I haven't heard or seen anything here in Wisconsin, honestly, though I know Kurt Angle is supposed to do an interview on a local radio station tomorrow, IIRC.

TNA ads were on the radio here in Columbus, OH. Also saw them on USA and TNT during Law and Order re-runs. Spike TV plays the commercial for tonights show atleast once an hour.