TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/14 - 11/18

Since we are on the subject of BCS bids, here's my guess (partially forecasting the rest of the season):

BCS: Ohio State vs. Michigan

Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise State

Rose: USC vs. Notre Dame

Orange: Georgia Tech vs. Louisville

Sugar: Arkansas vs. West Virginia

This is the least appealing prediction in my opinion. 2 rematches would completely blow.

The USC-Notre Dame rematch prediction is largely due to the lack of other appealing at-large choices for the Rose Bowl. Maybe if Florida ends up as an at-large over WVU they could fit there (bigtime program with a large fanbase), but I don't see the Rose picking WVU or Boise State just for a fresh match when Notre Dame is much more of a "money team". If the 2 team/conference limit didn't exist then I'd definitely slot Wisconsin into that game and I bet they would too (bumping Notre Dame to the Sugar Bowl and WVU out of the BCS).

A similar problem will likely arise if USC beats Notre Dame and passes Michigan but ND doesn't fall too far down in the BCS. Michigan would obviously end up in the Rose Bowl, and if Notre Dame is eligible I can see them getting selected even with 2 losses including one to Michigan, because it's the best matchup financially. No offense to the Big East teams who I have more respect for than most but I just don't see them getting a ton of respect from the Rose Bowl committee in terms being a big at-large draw, even if it's a fresher matchup.

I liked Bored's blog predictions. I'm all over Florida/Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. Let those hyped up pretty boys come down and get f'd in the a in N'Awlins. I don't dislike Notre Dame that much, I just like when media darlings get their teeth bashed in.

Go back and read the responses to the game in this thread. Ohio State looked poised to blow Michigan out of the stadium and the Wolverines were playing catch-up all game long. Outside of the opening drive where Ohio State's offense had yet to take the field, there was nothing to indicate that Michigan was better. They've already played, Michigan lost. Go to the Rose Bowl and be happy with a $4 million payout or however much it is the teams get for making it there. Using the Florida/Florida State example isn't valid since there was no dedicated system to determine a national champion at the time, only polls. Speaking of the polls, both that are factored into the BCS have USC as #2, and the computer average is what pushes Michigan up into that slot. One year people bitch about the computers, the next they embrace them. I understand that there are fans and all, but make up your damn minds.

ok but Michigan lost by 3 to the number 1 team...according to your astute logic...USC had their chance against Oregon State who I doubt is even a top 60 team and lost...and according to your intelligent fact checking...USC played catch up all game to Oregon State and was down a bigger margin than Michigan ever was to OSU...determining the number 2 team this year...you have to weigh...should you vote for the team you WANT to see in the title game...or the team that DESERVES to be in the title game?...if there are more people like you out there (please God no) then I guess we are going to see the 'sexy' matchup and the possibility of a split national title ensues particularly if Notre Dame is in the title game....enjoy

48-14 USC next week. Book it. Their defense is too good this year to have another "whoever has the ball last wins" game like last season.

wow...between this and your "Northwestern having a chance to beat Michigan" nonsense and "Clemson could be in the national title game" nonsense is making my head hurt...USC will not blow out Notre Dame...ND is the best team SC played this year..when it is a close ball game...just remember Michigan winning by 26 at South Bend alright?

USC could blow out Notre Dame BECAUSE Michigan beat them by 26. USC is a better team than Michigan and so it shall be written. You're just upset because Michigan really shouldn't go to the national title. For all the talk about "OMGLOLZ USC LOST TO OREGON STATE!!!", they only lost by 2 points, Oregon State is 7-4, and possibly will go 9-4. That's not exactly "NOT EVEN 60th RANKED" here. Please think and/or do research before shooting your mouth off. Just be glad Michigan didn't play Wisconsin or anything like that, because you'd be looking at 2 losses, instead of 1.

Guest Princess Leena
The Sun Belt is better this year. Three teams can finish with a winning record, and fourth with a .500 record.

Holla. Although, much of that has to do with the Sun Belt scheduling less squash games. Except for poor Troy.

USC could blow out Notre Dame BECAUSE Michigan beat them by 26. USC is a better team than Michigan and so it shall be written. You're just upset because Michigan really shouldn't go to the national title. For all the talk about "OMGLOLZ USC LOST TO OREGON STATE!!!", they only lost by 2 points, Oregon State is 7-4, and possibly will go 9-4. That's not exactly "NOT EVEN 60th RANKED" here. Please think and/or do research before shooting your mouth off. Just be glad Michigan didn't play Wisconsin or anything like that, because you'd be looking at 2 losses, instead of 1.

Um, Michigan did beat Wisconsin this year.

The USC fanboys here are getting more and more Dama-like and delusional by the day.

I-AA Playoffs Announced

1st Round Games

Coastal Carolina at No. 1 Appalachian State

Furman at Montana State

James Madison at No. 4 Youngstown State

Illinois State at Eastern Illinois

McNeese State at No. 2 Montana

UT-Martin at Southern Illinois

Lafayette at No. 3 Massachusetts

New Hampshire at Hampton

The NCAA Division I Football Championship, formerly known as the NCAA Division I-AA Football Championship, begins with first round games at campus sites on Saturday. The quarterfinals will be played at campus sites on Dec. 2, with the semifinals set for Dec. 8 and Dec. 9. The national championship game will be played on Dec. 15 at 8 p.m. at Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, TN.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/recap?gid=20...029&prov=ap

Michigan 27 ,Wisconsin 13

Okay now that I have been informed that Wisconsin cannot possibly go to the BCS here are some revised BCS predictions:

Title game: Ohio St. vs. USC (I think USC will beat Notre Dame and then overtake Michigan)

Rose: Michigan vs. Notre Dame (Is it fair? Of course not, since ND would likely beat out a 2nd SEC team)

Fiesta: Texas vs. Boise St. (I figure Boise somehow sneaks past Nevada and goes 12-0, Texas should still win the Big 12)

Sugar: West Virginia vs. Arkansas (I think ARK will take out FLA in the SEC title game and WVU will get an at large since they'll be in the top 5)

Orange: Louisville vs. Georgia Tech (I think Ga Tech is the best of an iffy lot in the ACC, and U of L should win its last 2 games unless the Cards REALLY screw it up).

Reading over the BCS selection criteria again, Michigan is going to get the only automatic berth allotted to a non-conference champion, meaning that no BCS-affiliated team that doesn't win its conference is guaranteed anything. Look at paragraphs 5-6 here:

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

Michigan gets in under paragraph 5, which means paragraph 6 is ignored, leaving the door wide open for whoever doesn't win the SEC and Big East to get snubbed.

Reading over the BCS selection criteria again, Michigan is going to get the only automatic berth allotted to a non-conference champion, meaning that no BCS-affiliated team that doesn't win its conference is guaranteed anything. Look at paragraphs 5-6 here:

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

Michigan gets in under paragraph 5, which means paragraph 6 is ignored, leaving the door wide open for whoever doesn't win the SEC and Big East to get snubbed.

Good catch Chris. So assuming things go roughly as expected (i.e. Boise State winning), there will be 2 slots available for the bowls to choose between Notre Dame, one of Arkansas/Florida, one of Louisville/WVU/Rutgers, and possibly teams like Auburn, LSU, etc. depending on where they finish.

I'm really pissed off. I got home and saw that USC was #3 during the Laker game and was fuckin' floored.

Fuck this system. USC will blow out Notre Dame. Mark that shit the fuck down.

King, you have to realize something. It doesn't matter if USC just clinched the title of the best conference in the country. It doesn't matter if USC has beaten 7 bowl eligible teams (and, at the end of the season, will have played 10), including teams that will play for the conference championships of both the Big 12 and the SEC. It doesn't matter if the combined winning percentage of the teams USC has played in 10 games is slightly better than the combined winning percentage of the teams Michigan has played in 12. It doesn't matter if that combined winning percentage can only go up in USC's next two games. It doesn't matter if USC has beaten three teams rated in the BCS top 25, including two in the top 20 and one in the top 6. It doesn't matter if they will play a fourth. It doesn't matter if USC has played the third toughest schedule in the country, and just beat a team who has played the second toughest schedule in the country.

Michigan beat Wisconsin, and that's all that matters. And their biggest claim is losing a close game to OSU. Apparently, you don't rate a team based on winning... losing is what matters.

Oh, that paragraph up there, there's no Damaramu fanboy in that... that's all calm, clear research. We need to stop throwing that insult around. There are a couple of you whose opinions I've lost all respect for, so I'll just ignore you. I realize that nothing will change your mind beyond USC continuing to win.

Lastly, for the predictors... I've always thought a prediction is based on what will probably happen, and not what you want to happen. If you look at the numbers, USC WILL pass Michigan if they win out. That's true whether you like it or not.

The USC fanboys here are getting more and more Dama-like and delusional by the day.

Oh, the irony

I'm really pissed off. I got home and saw that USC was #3 during the Laker game and was fuckin' floored.

Fuck this system. USC will blow out Notre Dame. Mark that shit the fuck down.

King, you have to realize something. It doesn't matter if USC just clinched the title of the best conference in the country. It doesn't matter if USC has beaten 7 bowl eligible teams (and, at the end of the season, will have played 10), including teams that will play for the conference championships of both the Big 12 and the SEC. It doesn't matter if the combined winning percentage of the teams USC has played in 10 games is slightly better than the combined winning percentage of the teams Michigan has played in 12. It doesn't matter if that combined winning percentage can only go up in USC's next two games. It doesn't matter if USC has beaten three teams rated in the BCS top 25, including two in the top 20 and one in the top 6. It doesn't matter if they will play a fourth. It doesn't matter if USC has played the third toughest schedule in the country, and just beat a team who has played the second toughest schedule in the country.

Michigan beat Wisconsin, and that's all that matters. And their biggest claim is losing a close game to OSU. Apparently, you don't rate a team based on winning... losing is what matters.

Oh, that paragraph up there, there's no Damaramu fanboy in that... that's all calm, clear research. We need to stop throwing that insult around. There are a couple of you whose opinions I've lost all respect for, so I'll just ignore you. I realize that nothing will change your mind beyond USC continuing to win.

Lastly, for the predictors... I've always thought a prediction is based on what will probably happen, and not what you want to happen. If you look at the numbers, USC WILL pass Michigan if they win out. That's true whether you like it or not.

thats maybe Michigan's biggest claim according to YOU.....but again...watch the game Saturday night...enjoy the game hopefully...then take a look back at what Michigan did to the same team at their place...dh86 believes you will see a distinct difference....and you are saying losing is what matters well lets just say I did not see Michigan lose to a team that may be headed to the Sun Bowl...yeah Michigan had their chance to go undefeated...USC had their chance....ND and Arkansas had their chance and got beat badly at home...Florida went belly up at Auburn...if you match up Michigan vs USC and throw out all the bullshit...its clear who the better team is

Guest Princess Leena

Oh, and just to be a bitch...

OU WON AT OREGON SO THE PAC-10 SUCKS AND THE BIG 12 IS BEST. OU HAS ONE LOSS AND SHOULD BE GOING TO ARIZONA. AND STOP TRYING TO BAIT ME WITH THIS USC SHIT. YOU KNOW THEYRE NOT THAT GOOD. LOOK AT REGGIE BUSH LOLZESPNHYPE. I HAAATE CALIFORNIA! SMASH!

No one can ever convince me that the PAC-10 is better than the SEC, or the Big 10. Even the Big 12 could be argued as being more solid than the Pac-10. The Pac-10 has two really good teams. Cal and USC. Compare that to the Big 10 which has arguably the two best teams in the nation, plus a Wisconsin team which believe it or not, is actually good. People are running around on here giving USC credit for going through an average(as it always is) conference and not even doing it unblemished. The real travesty in this whole thing, isn't that Michigan could go to a title game over USC, it is that Florida, plays in a tougher conference, and still has to play against Florida State( say what you will about the talent, but if people are going to give USC points for playing UCLA, this appies as well) as well as the SEC title game. Their one loss came against a ranked Auburn team that is in the top 15 and is way better than Oregon State. If Florida wins out, I don't see how USC deserves to go over them.

Wisconsin played Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego State, and Buffalo out of conference. They played the 75th toughest schedule in the country.

No one can ever convince me that the PAC-10 is better than the SEC, or the Big 10. Even the Big 12 could be argued as being more solid than the Pac-10.

This is the second time I've posted this link:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc06.htm

...if you match up Michigan vs USC and throw out all the bullshit...its clear who the better team is

I'm glad we agree.

Conferences by average BCS ranking.

1. Pac-10 38.40

2. SEC 38.67

3. Big East 39.00

4. Big Ten 43.36

5. ACC 49.67

6. Big XII 52.00

7. WAC 72.67

8. Mountain West 73.56

9. Conference USA 75.00

10. MAC 86.50

11. Sun Belt 94.88

No I'm not arguing the Pac-10 is better than the SEC and I personally hate conference vs. conference arugments. I will say the Pac-10 has a lot more depth than the Big Ten this year.

Pac-10 strength of schedule ratings:

USC: 3

Cal: 2

Oregon: 8

OSU: 15

UCLA: 6

UofA: 4

WSU: 7

ASU: 10

UW: 5

Stanford: 1

SEC strength of schedule ratings:

Florida: 36

LSU: 37

Arkansas: 73

Tennessee: 11

Auburn: 32

South Carolina: 26

Georgia: 40

Kentucky: 45

Alabama: 41

Vanderbilt: 33

Mississippi State: 21

Mississippi: 28

First I'll let that sink in. Now I'll break it down for you. The Pac-10 features teams that have played 9 of the 10 toughest schedules in the country. FYI, Minnesota is the other top 10 schedule team. Oregon State has played the weakest schedule in the Pac-10, which is still the 15th toughest in the country. The toughest schedule in the SEC was Tennessee's, at number 11. That schedule is still weaker than 9 of 10 Pac-10 teams. The next closest SEC schedule is South Carolina at 26. Even with the overwhelmingly tougher schedules, the Pac-10 has a greater percentage (80%) of bowl eligible teams then the SEC (75%).

I'm happy to do the other conferences.

... I personally hate conference vs. conference arguments.

I do too. I'm just sick and tired of hearing how great the SEC is just because it's the SEC. And, in a year when the Pac-10 has played so overwhelmingly well against such great schedules, I think the conference should get the praise it deserves. I don't think any Pac-10 team played eight home games this year.

Those statistics are misleading. What factors go into those ratings. Is it just records, rankings or what.

Put it this way. On neutral fields if you matched up (USC v Florida, Arkansas v Cal, etc) I bet the Sec wins 7 of the 10 games. Thats taking out Georgia and Mississippi State for balance. I don't think those ratings really prove how tough a conference is.