TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

If Cowher does call it quits, two questions

1). Who will/should replace him (in-house or a big name coach?)

2). What is his legacy? Does he rank among the best coaches of all time?

Pittsburgh would need a big name coach considering they've had a whopping two head coaches in the last 38 years.

Cowher is an overrated underperformer (12-9 in the playoffs, lost 4 AFC Championship games AT HOME), who lucked into a Super Bowl at the tail end of his career largely thanks to some horrible officiating. He's Tony Dungy with a ring.

Pittsburgh would need a big name coach considering they've had a whopping two head coaches in the last 38 years.

Cowher is an overrated underperformer (12-9 in the playoffs, lost 4 AFC Championship games AT HOME), who lucked into a Super Bowl at the tail end of his career largely thanks to some horrible officiating. He's Tony Dungy with a ring.

12-9 in the playoffs is suddenly a bad record? Dungy is under .500 as is Schottenheimer. Pittsburgh has rebuilt their team like four times and have never seemed to miss the playoffs for more than one year at a time under Cowher. Dungy the "defensive mastermind" is in control of one of the worst defenses of all time in Indy. Horrible, horrible comparison. Chin is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I would rank him, Gruden and Bellichick in the top 3.

They have two in house replacements who are hot head coaching candidates in Whisenhunt and Grimm. I highly doubt that they wouldn't hire one of these two guys should Cowher step down

Giants 2007 Schedule:

Home games against the 49ers, Packers, Vikings, Patriots and Jets, and road games at Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo and Miami.

And of course divisional games

I'm just curious here. Of all the times someone has chosen to rip the Colts' defense, has there ever once been a mention of the injuries to said defense, including Pro Bowler Bob Sanders, who has appeared in just two games since week 2, and Mike Doss, who hasn't played since week 7?

Giants 2007 Schedule:

Home games against the 49ers, Packers, Vikings, Patriots and Jets, and road games at Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo and Miami.

And of course divisional games

On that note, does anyone know when 2007 tickets usually go on sale? The Jets are in Cincinnati next season and I want to make sure I get a seat.

12-9 in the playoffs is suddenly a bad record? Dungy is under .500 as is Schottenheimer. Pittsburgh has rebuilt their team like four times and have never seemed to miss the playoffs for more than one year at a time under Cowher. Dungy the "defensive mastermind" is in control of one of the worst defenses of all time in Indy. Horrible, horrible comparison. Chin is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I would rank him, Gruden and Bellichick in the top 3.

They have two in house replacements who are hot head coaching candidates in Whisenhunt and Grimm. I highly doubt that they wouldn't hire one of these two guys should Cowher step down

"The Chin" was under .500 before last year's run. If Dungy wins a SB this year he'd be just as overrated as Cowher. It's an apt comparison. You currently ranking Gruden as a top 3 coach ends your credibility.

I'm just curious here. Of all the times someone has chosen to rip the Colts' defense, has there ever once been a mention of the injuries to said defense, including Pro Bowler Bob Sanders, who has appeared in just two games since week 2, and Mike Doss, who hasn't played since week 7?

No one rips the pass defense, which Sanders and Doss are part of. It's the god awful run defense that people are ripping to shreds. The injuries can be pointed to if they are part of that defensive problem. If the Colts were getting burned by the pass, I'd be defending them a little bit as a team struggling to find key replacements to their secondary. But secondary isn't their problem, hell teams are getting to the point where they don't feel like they even need to pass.

Now if Freeney (still one of the best in the game even on a "down year") and Morris cannot play, that run defense will be even worse than it is. But Doss and Sanders are safeties and running backs should not be getting through the DL and Linebackers.

Okay, the two most obvious candidates for termination are now gone, and anything short of a SB miracle will bring Damocles' Sword down on Tom Coughlin

Any other potential candidates for termination?

The Art Shell experiment, Vol. 2, could easily be ended. Buzz is increasingly heavy that Nick Saban is heading back to the SEC, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Miami gank another NFL coach with past success and a down season (like Gruden, maybe) with all the buyout money.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Will the Colts go after Gruden if he's still on the market after this year's chokejob to Kansas City?

Guest Princess Leena

Miami should promote Mularkey.

I hope Crennel doesn't get fired. Then we'll definitely get the NFL R RAYCISTZ crap during the dead time of January.

If Saban does go back, he should never be offered another job in the NFL again. He'll go back, win a couple bowls and he'll get the Pete Carroll talks all over again and some idiotic team will overpay for 2 years of his service.

He's reaching Larry Brown levels here.

I could see Miami going for Gruden since I don't see any other big names on the board right now from the old guard and I doubt Coughlin and Green get offers for this post-season.

Romeo won't get fired. Cleveland isn't a hot job and they won't get someone better. Just need a real QB, first.

Thoughts-

1. Denny Green's job was in peril the second he signed Edge and drafted Leinart, yet didn't shore up the O-line.

2. Mora Sr. was right in that Vick is a coach-killer. However, Mora Jr. didn't help his own case though.

Whoever replaced Mora Jr. will have to put up with Vick's shit, which will handicap him and limit the team's offensive capabilities IMHO.

3. Saban (I hope) isn't dumb enough to go to Alabama unless he can get an ironclad contract that dictates increased penalties if they can him before a certain number of years.

4. Art Shell SHOULD be fired but won't.

5. Joe Gibbs may be in trouble for Dan Snyder's shortcoming as an owner, which should be no surprise to anyone.

6. Romeo Crennel will get a mulligan for this year considering most of his O-Line went out for the year before the season even started.

7. Matt Millen stays, somehow.

5. Joe Gibbs may be in trouble for Dan Snyder's shortcoming as an owner, which should be no surprise to anyone.

7. Matt Millen stays, somehow.

Gibbs would probably get out before Synder drops the hammer, and Gibbs will remain making tons of millions in other avenues.

Millen will probably fire the coach of Detroit (whose name I know I know know but just can't remember right now) as another plea to the dumb ass worthless owners that he'll get it done this year.

Millen is as bad as Mike Brown was for the Bengals in the 1990's. Brown's family owned the team, though. What pictures does Millen have in his pocket?

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Rod Marinelli, and he gets a LOT of attention from the Fox broadcasters, doesn't he?

"I bet Rod Marinelli was happy with this play."

"a 2-14 record won't be good enough for Rod Marinelli."

"The Lions will really improve with Rod Marinelli."

"That's the Rod Marinelli we know and love."

"You've really gotta hand it to Rod Marinelli."

Who is Rod Marinelli?

Rod Marinelli, and he gets a LOT of attention from the Fox broadcasters, doesn't he?

"I bet Rod Marinelli was happy with this play."

"a 2-14 record won't be good enough for Rod Marinelli."

"The Lions will really improve with Rod Marinelli."

"That's the Rod Marinelli we know and love."

"You've really gotta hand it to Rod Marinelli."

Who is Rod Marinelli?

He sounds like a dish that Jeffery Dahmer would cook.

"The Chin" was under .500 before last year's run. If Dungy wins a SB this year he'd be just as overrated as Cowher. It's an apt comparison. You currently ranking Gruden as a top 3 coach ends your credibility.

The points you try to make are incredibly retarded. "Before Cowher won a Super Bowl" - Well, he did win a Super Bowl. Maybe you think you should take that into account when ranking him as a head coach. The only knock on Cowher before he won the Super Bowl was that his teams would choke in the big games. His teams are consistantly well-coached and consistantly overachieve. His team won three playoff games on the road after falling to 10-6 due to injuries and won the Super Bowl. We'll talk about "if Dungy wins a Super Bowl" if he ever does. He won't though, I think he's a bad coach and his speed-orientated defenses have consistantly disappointed in recent years.

And if Gruden isn't a top 3 coach then who is?

The points you try to make are incredibly retarded. "Before Cowher won a Super Bowl" - Well, he did win a Super Bowl. Maybe you think you should take that into account when ranking him as a head coach. The only knock on Cowher before he won the Super Bowl was that his teams would choke in the big games. His teams are consistantly well-coached and consistantly overachieve. His team won three playoff games on the road after falling to 10-6 due to injuries and won the Super Bowl. We'll talk about "if Dungy wins a Super Bowl" if he ever does. He won't though, I think he's a bad coach and his speed-orientated defenses have consistantly disappointed in recent years.

And if Gruden isn't a top 3 coach then who is?

I'd go with The Tuna, Bill Parcells, as #3, although Joe Gibbs would be arguable if you go by the lifetime record and not his last few years.

I'm really interested to see what happens with Matt Schaub in the off-season, especially now that Mora is out in Atlanta. I've been following Schaub since he left UVA, and he's basically just sat there biding his time for three years, getting a handful of meaningless/Vick's hurt starts. The Falcons have too much money sunk into Vick to move away from him, but they also have too much value in Schaub to hold onto him again. I think he's ready to start, and wouldn't be surprised to see someone like the Browns or Vikings--someone with a decent (in theory in the case of the Browns) o-line already--make a very strong push to sign him rather than going rookie QB.

Not one bit shocked, it was only a matter of time. Too much happened with the drama known as the Atlanta Falcons for it to end any other way. Now they either find a coach to fit the style of Vick or they send him packing for Matt. Fixing the WR core would help as well.

Meanwhile, the most obvious choice goes unnoticed . . . moving Vick to RB or shopping him around. If player X is a coach killer, don't fire the coach, get rid of the player.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Well first of all, it doesn't work like that, and second of all, it's a mite late for that. The new coach is obviously going to just let Vick do whatever he wants instead of trying to mold him into something he's not. All things considered, that makes a lot of sense, but it is indicative of professional sport's topsy-turvy chain of command.