TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
krease

Stranger than Fiction

It was a good story & movie... there were times the entire theater was laughing... but not at the movie.

The boom operator (and possibly the editor) should be FIRED.

The first time I saw it, I was like "ok, a minor slip-up, the boom peeked into the shot there for a second." Then not even a minute later, the entire microphone was dangling in the shot, almost hitting Ferrell in the head.

The boom had more of a starring role than the "bus driver" or "kid on bike" - it was to a point where I thought they couldn't be doing it accidentally; it must be on purpose somehow - especially near the end when we noticed the whole boom rigging (microphone attached to big contraption to hold it up) in the shot.

Did anybody else here see this? I did some googling and it seems some theaters had a version that didn't have boom problems (or they were aiming the projector a bit higher so that the top of the movie was cut off), but there were still enough people that noticed that I know it wasn't just our theater.

Guest Felonies!

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=82945

I saw it last week and never noticed a boom.

If you're seeing boom mics on the screen in a film, that means it was probably filmed in Flat (1.85:1 aspect ratio) and the moron projecting the film at the theater has the film out of frame.

He was probably more concerned with fondling his six-year-old girlfriend than working.

projection rooms are awful sites of all sorts of depravity. most of the student workers i knew in the film department at college had several stories of projection room making out and/or sex.

and at the movie theater where i worked in high school, there was the college-age projectionist who offered to show me her cunt. i said no, cause i was scared and she was really skanky. she was totally toying with my innocence, and in retrospect i should've let her take advantage of that.

and this movie is way overrated. marc forster seriously needs to tone down the hyperdramatic slow-motion musical montages. he did it in 'finding neverland' too and almost ruined it. it's like he saw the last cheesiest 3 minutes of 'american beauty' and said to himself "i want to make moments like that from now on, only moments like that, my films will be nothing else because moments like that are always the best part."

Guest Vitamin X

I thought the movie was nice, don't know about overrated because I haven't heard too much about it.

Typical Kaufman feel to the story, almost to the point where it's kind of becoming formulaic (boring guy meets eccentric girl, something fucks with their head or the audience's in one way or another, open ending).

Although, maybe I missed something due to ordering the 64 ounce diet coke beforehand which resulted in three trips to the bathroom during the movie. It wasn't that the movie was bad, but FUCK when you gotta go, you gotta go.