TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Felonies!

Stranger Than Fiction

I've been excited for this one for over a year. In the industry, screenwriter Zach Helm is known as the next Charlie Kaufman and the screenplay for Stranger Than Fiction is widely regarded as the freshest screenplay in years. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I know people who have.

I agree the premise looks great. I just wish it wasn't Will Ferrell.

Why? The movie's not a vehicle for him. I've also heard the movie is quite dark.

Yeah, from what I've been told by people who have seen the movie and read the screenplay, the trailer really doesn't give one the best idea about what the film is really like. Think of Kaufman flicks like Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine, and other flicks with that sort of feel.

The world needed another Will Ferrell movie.

Yeah, because this movie sounds JUST LIKE the other movies he's done lately.

Guest Felonies!

:angry: + :rolleyes:

:angry: + :rolleyes:

Ah, shit...and me without my trusted "Smilies-to-English" dictionary.

This could do to Will Ferrell what "Cable Guy" did for Jim Carrey.
Make him a respected serious actor?

Uh..Eternal Sunshine.. was the closest serious movie Jim Carrey has done that gave him any respect as a serious actor and he's blown that by doing Dick and Jane, Lemony Snicket and whatever else hes done thats been big piles of shit..

I dont like Will Farrell..hes not funny..but I dont know if he lends himself towards serious acting either..

Guest Felonies!

Look, I'm glad Tony Hale is in a big movie and all, but isn't anyone just getting tired of Will Ferrell? I never found the guy to be all that funny, going all the way back to Saturday Night Live like ten years ago. The premise does look promising--even though I can't shake the feeling that I've seen "goofy actor does credibility-enhancing comedy about mental disease" already--but I'm just so tired of the guy.

I dont like Will Farrell..hes not funny..but I dont know if he lends himself towards serious acting either..

The prayer scene from "Talledega Nights" was the funniest thing I've seen in a movie all year.

Uh..Eternal Sunshine.. was the closest serious movie Jim Carrey has done that gave him any respect as a serious actor and he's blown that by doing Dick and Jane, Lemony Snicket and whatever else hes done thats been big piles of shit..

You forgot about Truman Show and Man On The Moon, which both put Carey on the map as a success as a dramatic actor before Eternal Sunshine did. He didn't blow anything. He's an actor who takes big money jobs so he can justify doing the small movies like Eternal. A great deal of big money stars will do the big money roles to be able to do the smaller and better movies.

Absolutely not. Choken One already pointed out Truman and Man on the Moon.

And he was well recieved for his performance in Lemony Snicket.

but isn't anyone just getting tired of Will Ferrell?

He overexposed himself a bit, but I think he now knows his audience. And Stranger isn't a typical Will Ferrell movie.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
isn't anyone just getting tired of Will Ferrell?

why are you creating threads for his movies three days before they're even released. someone's a little obsessed.

-The Truman Show (1998)

-Man on the Moon (1999)

-The Majestic (2001)

-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

And while it might be a comedy, many people started to really take notice of Jim Carrey in Liar Liar (1997), realizing that he isn't just a straight up goof actor, and that he could be much more than he was being portrayed has back then.

Will Ferrell is now at the point in his career where Jim Carrey was right before Liar Liar. Sure he's been in a few dramas, but nothing that really focused on him that most people have ever seen. Many may not believe it now, but Stranger Than Fiction is a huge moment in Will Ferrell's career. I, for one, think he'll be just fine.

If you look down the list of great actors, even Oscar winners, you'll find quite a few who started off in straight up comedy. There is a reason for that also, since it takes a lot of talent to actually be a great comedic actor, and that often leads to much bigger things.

Ferrell/Buster near the end of '06 and Ferrell/GOB in '07?

I have no problem with that.

Ferrell/GOB/Pam

What? Where?

Blades of Glory...a comedy about Olympic figure skating coming out in March.

I was an extra in this flick as part of Team USA.

Absolutely not. Choken One already pointed out Truman and Man on the Moon.

And he was well recieved for his performance in Lemony Snicket.

but isn't anyone just getting tired of Will Ferrell?

He overexposed himself a bit, but I think he now knows his audience. And Stranger isn't a typical Will Ferrell movie.

Ferrell has done a couple movies where he isn't "the normal" Will Ferrell that I have enjoyed (Winter Passing and Melinda & Melinda). I think this one will give him an even greater opportunity to stretch, along with being interested in seeing how he gels with some of his castmates.

Ferrell/GOB/Pam

What? Where?

That's AWESOME. Is it really funny?

Ferrell/GOB/Pam

What? Where?

That's AWESOME. Is it really funny?

Couldn't really tell you, Bob. I wasn't on set long enough to get a jist of the whole movie.

It's Ferrell and Arnett...I can't see it being NOT funny.

I saw the trailer for STF. It looked pretty good.

As for Carrey's serious work, I really enjoyed the Majestic.

Out of everything Jim Carrey has done, only two films of his I liked. The Majestic and The Truman Show. I pretty much disliked everything else he has done. I don't find him funny at all. I find him to be trying to hard to make people laugh.

With Will Ferrell, I have enjoyed pretty much everything he's done, no matter if it was lead roles or second guy. I thought that Elf was pure genious acting, directing and writing wise.