Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

PRIDE: New Years Eve

1024pl3.jpg

Fedor Emilianenko vs Mark Hunt for the PRIDE Heavyweight Title

Tatsuya Kawijiri vs Gilbert Melendez

Joachim Hansen vs Shinya Aoki

Shogun Rua vs Kazuhiro Nakamura

Discuss the greatness that is the Class of 06 poster.

Takanori Gomi vs Mitsuhiro Ishida for the LW Title has been added. This card is looking damn good so far.

I just checked and I don't think it's for the title, though I might be wrong. Either way, this is awesome!

My bad, it's non-title. That would've been a lot to ask of Gomi and seeing how there's a damn good chance he'll lose this fight the non-title stip saves him. But if he loses he's fucked because that means he'll be forced to take on Ishida again at some point down the road.

I don't really know why I said that. Makes no sense whatsoever. But this whole situation would've been resolved if they'd have just given Aurelio a rematch right off the bat instead of putting him up against Ishida who (besides the Aurelio win) hasn't done anything to warrant a title shot. If he'd finished Marcus it would be a different matter but he didn't and will most likely pound out a victory over Gomi.

How does Ishida deserve a title shot anyless than the other PRIDE LW's? Most of the other LW's have a win or two against terribly overmatched opposition this year. Ishida has been more active than any of them, and wins over Togashi & Aurelio are as quality as anything else the other contenders have done lately.

Oops:

--Fedor Emelianenko and Mirko Cro Cop are both out of Pride's New Year's Eve show in what is nothing short of a devastating blow to the card. Both are claiming injuries. Emelianenko claims a broken toe and his web site lists that he will have to pull out. Cro Cop said that he was not recovered fully from his ankle injury and can't kick hard yet. Emelianenko vs. Mark Hunt for the Pride heavyweight title was the main event on the show. The other big question as to where Cro Cop will wind up in his much publicized negotiations involving UFC, Pride and another group is expected to be made clear imminently. It is believed he already made his decision over the weekend but it waiting for the right time to announce it.

And the apparent replacement main event is Josh Barnett vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

Not that I'm hating on Nog/Barnett II because their first fight was balls out awesome and this should be no different but.......fuck. That is a bad, bad thing for Pride at this point. But we've still got Hanse/Aoki which is enough to make me shell out the cash to order this show.

More good news:

--Wanderlei Silva is now also off the Pride New Year's Eve show according to a statement released by Chute Boxe in Brazil. They said he's not on the show because he's going to headline the 2/24 show in Las Vegas. Pride has confirmed Yuki Kondo vs. Akihiro Gono and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Josh Barnett for the show.

No Fedor and Cro Cop and now no Silva.

NYE's gonna ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK. Technically, if you can see it, it airs around midnight I believe on the 30th...so it's gonna go like this:

UFC

K-1 Begins

PRIDE Begins

Insanity. This is gonna be the first NYE I ever experience. Even for the American broadcasts, I only ever ordered one before. I'm fucking excited for this.

PRIDE's lineup looks amazing. K-1's...Not so much. Giant Silva v.s. Akebono has me disgustingly interested though.

Hidehiko Yoshida vs James Thompson rounds out the card. I could care less but it doesn't suck enough to negate the good that will be brought forth. The fact that we could have 2 or 3 FOTYC's on New Years is an awesome way to end 2006.

Hidehiko Yoshida vs James Thompson rounds out the card. I could care less but it doesn't suck enough to negate the good that will be brought forth. The fact that we could have 2 or 3 FOTYC's on New Years is an awesome way to end 2006.

They could have three Thompson vs Yoshida matches so long as Tamura/Minowa is as good as their first match was.

Holy shit. Kawijiri/Melendez was balls out. Absolutely balls out. Fight of the year. Awesome show. Gomi rules, Aoki is a stylist, Barnett and Nog need to dance one more time and Fedor is Fedor despite fighting bizarro Hunt.

Guest Irish Lion

Was Fedor really in as much trouble as everyone claims? I heard Hunt controlled the pace of the fight.

I don't think Fedor was carrying Hunt. I watched it live...Fedor was BLEEDING. Not alot, but he was bleeding.

His skin also seemed to change fucking colors when he decided to kill Hunt, like he was powering up his CPU.

If you want to talk about a carry job, I'd look at Shogun/Nakamura instead of Hunt/Fedor. I thought that was a pretty obvious job there.

Here's the Fedor/Hunt fight on Youtube:

Fedor vs. Mark Hunt-Pride Shockwave 2006

It looked like Hunt was in control for a good majority of the fight and he did have a kimura on Fedor at one point. However, he didn't really have it on all that well. After the fight, Fedor said he wasn't ever in trouble during the fight, and, if Fedor says it, I believe it.

I'll go back to lurking now.