TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
snuffbox

The New Congress

Steve Pearce spoiled a good point about how the Democrats should just have the courage to do what they can to pull the troops out by saying "we need to stay in Iraq cuz Lincoln stayed in the South!"

They're taking a break from the debates for Charlie Norwood tributes. Norwood was the rare Republican who actually went to war in lieu of merely waving pompoms.

I'll talk about Congress when they actually do something instead of sitting on their asses debating something that won't even have any legal authority. Oh, and I'll also care when they decide that it'd be a good idea to increase their hours instead of scaling them back if they want to accomplish anything other than pissing off the public even further.

Nobody has told Kotz that Congress is working more days/hours?

They still don't start work until noon and have multiple vacations each year. Come on. If you're one of 535 people tasked with managing the laws of 299,999,465 other people, anything less than year-round commitment is unacceptable.

Nobody has told Kotz that Congress is working more days/hours?

They still don't start work until noon and have multiple vacations each year. Come on. If you're one of 535 people tasked with managing the laws of 299,999,465 other people, anything less than year-round commitment is unacceptable.

I don't think Congress has to actually be in session for them to be working on the public's business.

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer."

-Will Rogers

I feel the same way.

17 Republicans ended up voting 'yes'.

It was also two Texas Republicans that ended up having the best speeches of the weeklong marathon...Ron Paul in oppostion, and Sam Johnson for the escalation.

From a memo from the House Majority Leader instructing members on the approved method of speaking about the resolution:

The debate should not be about the surge or its details. This debate should not even be about the Iraq war to date, mistakes that have been made, or whether we can, or cannot, win militarily.

http://majorityleader.house.gov/docUploads...arColleague.pdf

The Senate Republicans filibustered the non-binding resolution on Iraq.

I repeat: They FILIBUSTERED a NON-BINDING resolution. The Senate cannot even vote on the damn thing now.

Does that make sense to anyone? Unless they're really that afraid of taking a purely symbolic stand one way or the other, it does not.

This is just political cowardice. They want to support the president without actually admitting they support the president.

They refused to debate/vote on the incredibly simple House Iraq resolution.

"Do we agree or not with the escalation? Its terruhism to ask that!"

I'm so, so tired of this shit. So, so tired. Nothing thry will do will amount to nothing. Two years before an election.

I fucking YEARN for an honest politition. "Mr Wasshington" is done and truly fucked. I know it's obvious, but I cry

Yowza. I heard a big friggin Kentucky political rumor from a pretty reliable source today.

It was that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is gay and that he is in a marriage of political expediency with his wife, US Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao.

Shit, that should read:

It was that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell is gay and that he is in a marriage of political expediency with his wife, US Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao, who is a lesbian.