TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Seasonal Music Associations

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Eagles aren't good music for any occasion. I do recommend "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh for shirtless driving, though.

I liked Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry."

Summer means a LOT more bluegrass and loads of Ventures. The spring is when I get into 80s stuff, and the summer brings the 60s kick. Winter means hard trance and house, but summer's all about some straight dance.

Some old Rockabilly and Afro-Cuban Jazz is great for the summer. Also, a bunch of old Surf Rock and some funk and Soul. Oh, and Pharcyde's Bizzare Ride 2 The Pharcyde

Guest Richard McBeef

It's time for me to dust off the Guster. Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever are great albums for the summertime.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I listen to a lot of Junior Brown when it's sunny and pleasant, and for when it's sticky throwup hot, it's mostly On The Corner or old Dr. John.

It's been hot these past few days—nastily so in the mid-afternoon. Smokey, too, but that's more on the direction of the wind, as south-eastern Georgia has been on fire for over a week now. It's not quite Forever Changes time yet (see first page of this thread), but I've been spinning Sly & the Family Stone a great deal this past week, since the much-needed release of those remasters.

Eagles aren't good music for any occasion. I do recommend "Life's Been Good" by Joe Walsh for shirtless driving, though.

Us here in the South tend to have more respect for the Eagles than you Yankees.

They were from LA!

Anyways, the Eagles are my least favorite classic rock radio staple band, with Skynyrd not too far behind

Did you seriously think I didn't know they were from California? Oddly enough, their fan base is probably larger down here than it is in California, as their country leanings appealed much more to Southern audiences than California hippies and surfers.

Pretty much the same deal with CCR. Ask a lot of the hicks down here if they know where they're from and most of them would probably answer the South, sadly.

Guest Richard McBeef

Don't you Yankee me. I just listened to Asleep at the Wheel's greatest hits and enjoyed it. The Eagles just suck.

viva, what's your take on Western swing? I probably asked before, but this stuff is good.

I have both lived in the south all my life AND been exposed to more than a moderate amount of classic rock radio; benoitrulz4life is completely overstating this region's affiliation and affection for the Eagles. Far be it from me to defend what southern people are into, however. Yeesh.

It's getting into Tom Petty's greatest hits weather for me, and Beck's Odelay as well. "Jackass" and "Lord Only Knows" work better at 90 degrees. Also, I listen to The Blueprint and Stankonia much, much more often in the summer. I noticed this weekend that Slick Rick is perfect for lolling, 40 mph rides down two-lane Virginia highways.

bluegrass from kotz? country from redbaron?

what is this board coming to?

Sorry for shattering the danceaholic image.

decency

thats what i'm talking about

I agree that the Eagles are lame...but don't a bunch of you like Journey? How does that classic-radio-rock-bullshit staple get a pass?

I like two Eagles songs, one is "I Can't Tell You Why" and the other is "In The City" (I credit this to its inclusion in The Warriors

I've found myself listening to a lot of old Motown and 60s pop music in the past few weeks for some reason.

I agree that the Eagles are lame...but don't a bunch of you like Journey? How does that classic-radio-rock-bullshit staple get a pass?

Steve fucking Perry, that's how

Guest Tzar Lysergic

We're going to have to go our Separate Ways on this one.

Guest Richard McBeef
I like two Eagles songs, one is "I Can't Tell You Why" and the other is "In The City" (I credit this to its inclusion in The Warriors

I've found myself listening to a lot of old Motown and 60s pop music in the past few weeks for some reason.

Stax/Volt is superior to Motown.

They're nothing alike.

No, they don't sound alike. But they both wrote recorded songs with the same sole intention, to get played on the radio. Journey was the Hinder of its day.

for some reason 'aquemini' became my album of choice during my summer in new york when i would go to hudson park all the time. it's just really appropriate for sweaty swaggering hairless dudes in thongs, i don't really know why.

"In the City" gets some major summer airtime, usually because I watch The Warriors in the summer too. But it's really just Joe Walsh, not the Eagles.