TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

The Sega Master System

You forgot the full title, which is Kid Kool and the Quest for the Seven Wonder Herbs. No comment necessary.

Did it have multiple playable characters, though?

There's lots of debate on just what the hell game Decap Attack/Magical Hat Flying Turbo Adventure is the sequel to.

Geez, Vic Tokai sucked at naming games.

I have one. I got it for Mortal Kombat 1-3. I think I played it for a total of 10 minutes.

Guest Princess Leena

I forgot about Ghostbusters for the SMS. I played that game a ton. It was fun.

The funny thing about the whole thing is that Sega MAster System actually had better graphics, higher quality sound, and a better quality gun than nintendo. It could have been big when it hit the U.S. if the marketing wasn't so bad and the games so shitty. I had a MAster System and me and my friends used to play the shit out of Rocky, Great Baseball, Alex Kidd and Football. Great Baseball might have been the first game to use a "behind the pitcher" view.

The Sega Master System games of Shinobi and Double Dragon beat the holy hell out of the NES versions from the time period. It's like night and day.

Sadly, my old SMS got destroyed in a flood about 10 years ago and I ended up losing all the games while moving. I regret it now, since I could easily get a new system on ebay and would have plenty of games for it. Yes, I even had stuff like Great Basketball and Great Baseball.

The game that truly sucked beyond all words however was Zillion. Anyone have that piece of shit game?

This might open up Pandora's Box but I think the best Master System games hold up better today than most of the Genesis stuff. That's only 10% or so of the titles however.

Hell, my brother got that PS2 Genesis collection and I'm amazed at how campy and dated stuff like Altered Beast is today. "Welcome to your doom!"

I wish I had Rastan on some sort of console. I used to play the hell out of that game at Zayres back in the day (Zayres was a now defunct retail store, sorta like Target or K-Mart).

The Master System was the best 8-bit console soley down to Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which was fantastic, and of course Phantasy Star. Still have the Master System in the house, might fire it up and have a blast after reading this

Guest Princess Leena

I remember Ghost House. That game was ridiculously difficult.

And F-16 Fighting Falcon. I still have no idea what the hell is going on in that game.

I've beaten Wonder Boy in Monster Land 10 times now (10th time today :D) maybe my favorite video game ever. And better graphics than anything on the NES.

Do you know, as much as I love it, i've never finished it, I always get lost in that last bloody castle!

Its one of the earliest games I remember that allowed you to take a number of different paths in the game, if you went one way you'd miss a town or the like, but it didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Always loved that.

No matter how many times I've beaten it I still need the bell to find my way through the maze. Just jump over anyone you don't have to kill, not like the gold can help you anymore. And make sure you have the best boots for the insane jumping back and forth with the floating platforms.

Good times

I'll tell you a game on the SMS I used to love...Rescue Mission. One of my favorite gun oriented games ever.

It's odd but on Wikipedia it said that Nintendo used to have 93% of the US marketplace back in the late 1980s. I thought that sounded way too high. Surely Sega had about 20% or so? At the time it seemed like Nintendo was obviously more popular, but that Sega certainly had a following too.

Guest Princess Leena

Master System was fairly popular in my younger days, as well. A handful of kids around me also had Sega. And I remember it being easily available in stores.

Guest The Showcase

Not to get off subject, but did anyone here play the game about the kid with the pet blob who could do certain things depending on the type of jelly bean he ate? It was probably the most impossible game I ever played as a child.

That and Top Gun, as the Angry Game Nerd pointed out.

Not to get off subject, but did anyone here play the game about the kid with the pet blob who could do certain things depending on the type of jelly bean he ate? It was probably the most impossible game I ever played as a child.

That and Top Gun, as the Angry Game Nerd pointed out.

That was A Boy And His Blob, I remember playing it on NES and it being really hard at the time, as well.