TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
St. Gabe

Chili

I need a good chili recipe that uses pork spare rib meat. If anyone has a good one, shoot it my way!

Spicy Pineapple Pork Chili (Crockpot)

Ingredients

1 pound lean boneless pork, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes

1 cup dried small white beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup hot water

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes

1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste

1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained, juice reserved

1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies

1 medium onion, chopped

1 tbsp chili powder (or more or less to taste)

1 tbsp cumin (or less to taste)

1/2 tsp garlic powder

Instructions

In a 3-1/2-quart electric slow cooker, combine the pork, beans, hot water, tomatoes with their liquid, tomato paste, juice from pineapple chunks, chilies, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder; mix well. Cover and cook on the low heat setting 8-1/2 to 9 hours until the pork and beans are tender, stirring once halfway through the cooking time, if possible. Stir in the pineapple chunks and serve.

Serves 4 to 6.

I was going to have Veal tonight, but my cat desides to eat it raw, spoiling my dinner.

Looks like its some frozen pizza for me tonight.

Guest Vitamin X

That's also a good secret for bacon. Or is it brown sugar? Either way, both those things go well with pork meats in general. Mmmm.

I'm going to try both Marvin and Mike's suggestion. I love chili.

I made my regular chili tonight, but wanted to try the cinnamon thing. Didn't have any sticks, so I just mixed in a few tablespoons of ground cinnamon throughout the cooking. It's great--the cinnamon sort of covers all the rest of the flavors a bit, but everything's still spicy. Very fluid, very delicious, somewhat reminiscent of a mild jerk seasoning. Great suggestion, Marv.

Chopping up bacon into pieces and putting it in the croc-pot for the length of the cooking time is also something that enhances the flavor. Not just the bacon pieces themselves, but also the fat and oils from the bacon give an awesome flavor to the chili.

Chopping up bacon into pieces and putting it in the croc-pot for the length of the cooking time is also something that enhances the flavor. Not just the bacon pieces themselves, but also the fat and oils from the bacon give an awesome flavor to the chili.

My roomate suggested this as I was telling him your recipe for pineapple pork chili, which is supper Wednesday night.

Guest Vitamin X
I've got an excellent recipe for white chile somewhere...

So did you ever find this?

That's also a good secret for bacon. Or is it brown sugar? Either way, both those things go well with pork meats in general. Mmmm.

I'm going to try both Marvin and Mike's suggestion. I love chili.

One of my trade magazines had an advertisement for cinnamon-sugared smoked bacon. I dont know if you can get it retail anywhere, as its strictly a food service product.

Anyway..

Theres another super secret chili ingredient if anyones bold enough to try it..

Try adding a tablespoon of grated semi-sweet baking chocolate (the whole bars you find in the baking aisle)..if you can find it ina dark chocolate version its even better.

Certain authentic chili powders have a hint of

chocolate

flavor to them, so its a natural fit even though it seems odd.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

That's not really too strange, considering chocolate works its way into mole sauces and other savory stuff for its bitter elements.

Oh what the hell, I'll share mine. I'd been leaking it here and there for a bit.

Fry up two pounds of ground beef and drain them. Fry up three medium-size Italian sausages( Schneider's Grill-Em are perfect, although Maple-Leaf pre-cooked breakfast sausages will also do well). Cut them up so they're about the size of a pinch of ground beef.

Toss them in a slow cooker, then add (though, as I incorrectly told Vitamin X, order isn't important)...

One and a half cups of water.

One can of tomato sauce (the thicker, the better)

One can of tomato soup

One can of red kidney beans

Mix a quarter cup of Buffalo Wing Sauce with a quarter cup of BBQ sauce.

One half-bottle of beer. Tempting as it is, don't add the full bottle.

I cheap out and buy the pre-made chili powder, one packet is generally enough.

A few variables you can add are diced tomatoes, baked beans (canned will do the trick), and Manwich (or sloppy joe seasoning).

Stir everything like hell, slow cook on low for about six hours. Feeds 3-4.

------------------------------------

I'm going to try the bacon and/or brown sugar next time as well, they both sound pretty good.

Marvin, what's the spoiler ingredient? I'm bold.