Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

Joy Division vs New Order

HEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Give an answer

• I judge a band's quality by their INFLUENCE, so Joy Division
    • I listen to music with my ears, so New Order

I'll say it, I don't like Joy Division. It's all so glum and boring. I know they are highly regarded in THE SCENE because they are INFLUENTIAL, but I don't currrrrrrrr 'bout that. I do like "Dead Souls" though. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" is good, but it's talked about like it's some sort of pop classic, and I'm just not hearing it.

Oh man, New Order. "True Faith"! "Bizarre Love Triangle"! "Regret"! "1963"! These are some fucking great songs. That's all I have to say. At their best, this band was absolutely brilliant. And not boring and depressing! Too bad they suck now. But lots of bands suck now. Those bands that suck didn't write "Regret"!

Every time I bring this up to my scenester friends they're all like "WHAT BLAH BLAH JOY DIVISION IS MORE INFLUENTIAL INFLUENCE INFLUENCE IAN CURTIS WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA". And now Sensei John Kreese is bringing this unpopular opinion to TheSmartMarks. I want to know if any of you agree with me because I've never encountered anyone in real life who does.

Unknown Pleasures and Closure are considered classics, and deservidly so.

Technique, Low Life, and Power, Corruption & Lies are great, but pale in comparison to Joy Divisions best work. Plus, Get Ready and Waiting for the Sirens Call are terrible albums, especially the former.

Joy Division is alright. Definitely incredibly overrated though. Some Joy Division stuff is just really hard to listen to and a lot of hipsters just pretend to like them because it's the cool thing to do when you're a hipster.

New Order is one of my favorite bands of all time. I can listen to them any day. Theyre just a fun band. I agree that Waiting For The Sirens Call is horrible but whatever, their old stuff is great, especially Technique. Also, disc 1 of Substance and their best of album from the nineties are the best "best of" cds ever.

Joy Division is alright. Definitely incredibly overrated though. Some Joy Division stuff is just really hard to listen to and a lot of hipsters just pretend to like them because it's the cool thing to do when you're a hipster.

Awful.

I wonder how many more people will use the word "hipster" in a completely irrelevant way in this thread.

Outside of Ceremony and Age Of Consent, which I like more than most Joy Division songs, I'll take the former band in a walk.

i think this discussion is completely based on whether to you like to shake your ass to music or form a deeply emotional relationship with music.

I find Joy Division to be plenty danceable, but then again, I also like to dance to The Slits, so what do I know, eh.

I like Joy Division, but I love New Order. In addition to the ones Kreese cited: "Temptation," "Love Vigilantes," "The Perfect Kiss," "Ceremony," oh yeah. They're one of my favorite singles bands ever.

It's also totally fascinating to cruise Youtube and find videos of them in various eras.

1984:

1993: "Regret"

2002: "Temptation"

I wonder how many more people will use the word "hipster" in a completely irrelevant way in this thread.

Outside of Ceremony and Age Of Consent, which I like more than most Joy Division songs, I'll take the former band in a walk.

i think this discussion is completely based on whether to you like to shake your ass to music or form a deeply emotional relationship with music.

I find Joy Division to be plenty danceable, but then again, I also like to dance to The Slits, so what do I know, eh.

How is it irrelevant? Many hipsters idolize Joy Division and sometimes, for the wrong reasons. Not every JD fan is a hipster but a lot of the new wave JD fans are hipsters. And it's not like being a hipster is a bad thing. There. I used the word 4 more times. I don't see the big deal in using it. Hipster. Oh, dang, I used it again.

Also, for New Order fans, check out the DVD with one New Order concert from 1981 and another concert from 1999? It is a must have for New Order fans. The 1981 set isnt perfect but it's great to see them starting out after Ian's death.

Pot Kettle Black, dude.

You just think I'm hipster and indie bashing. I suggest you read carefully.

When the bulk of your criticism of a band is based on the kind of people you perceive to listen to it, you betray your own inability to talk about music on its own terms. You're a moron.

Joy Division. I prefer the darker edge but I also find their music to be generally much more hypnotic and gripping. A song like "New Dawn Fades" is such a powerful piece of music; the guitar is as menacing as anything in metal while the conviction in Ian's distinctive vocals is simply untouchable.

I hope the poll starter's comment was a joke; if not, what a goofy narrow minded assumption. It is possible that both bands have individual merits that people value differently....I love "True Faith" but I can understand a fan of Joy Division's darker moments being turned off by it or vise versa.

Coffin Surfer, yes, it's a joke! It's just I'm so tired of my "I'm a scenester so I know everything about music" friends who REFUSE to accept that there could be a possibility that New Order is better because Joy Division supposedly influenced Interpol or something like that.

Si82, YES. YES YES YES.

Awful.

I'm glad I came back to this thread for this.

I don't know many people who listen to bands just because they're influential. Sure, it's important to acknowkledge influential bands, if you want to know your music history, and gain an apprecieation for the people who influenced your favorite bands. But it's all about listenability. I don't like Velvet Underground because they were influential, I like them because they kicked ass.

Oh, and I still don't like Intrepol very much.