TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

TSM All-Time Baseball Tournament

If you're gonna go old-school Cardinals, go 1934. Dizzy Dean won 30 games...his brother won 19. Five guys with a BA over .300. Ripper Collins. Good stuff, yeah.

Actually, if you're looking for a Cardinals team, why don't you throw the 2004 St. Louis Cardinals in there. Pujols, Edmonds, and Rolen as the MV3, a rejuvenated Larry Walker, an underrated rotation, a lights out bullpen, and Roger Cedeno.

The 2001 Oakland Athletics should be the "Moneyball" squad...they underachieved! their Pythag W/L by 2 games (They won 102 games as it was).

Their pitching staff mainly carried them but their offense didn't suffer much with the likes of the Giambi brothers, Dye, and Eric Chavez coming into his own a bit.

I've already voted, but here are some suggestions:

1906, 1929 or 1930 Chicago Cubs

1954 Cleveland Indians

1946 St. Louis Cardinals

1899 Cleveland Spiders

Nothing before 1900.

I suggest the 1913 Warshington Senators.

No Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson in the whole thing?

Only thing I dislike about the thing is all the modern teams. I'd like to see a field (just to see, not that it has to go anywhere like this) with a team from each franchise (all incarnations of it, so only one Giants squad).

Only thing I dislike about the thing is all the modern teams. I'd like to see a field (just to see, not that it has to go anywhere like this) with a team from each franchise (all incarnations of it, so only one Giants squad).

I suggested the 13 Senators with Walter Johnson. I don't know how many teams Al is planning on having.

I suggested the 13 Senators with Walter Johnson. I don't know how many teams Al is planning on having.

Al told me he wants 40 teams in altogether.

Nah, I just mean, who gives a fuck about the D'Backs.

I like seeing and reading anything about the teams that were before my time. It really interests me, I could read that stuff all day.

Wha... should I have picked like, the '62 or '63 Colt .45's?

Good Lord, no. They were TERRIBLE. I woulda picked the '80 Stros over the 04 'Stros, if only because I'm a JR Richard fan, and he woulda won the Cy Young that year, had he not gotten ill. And looking at the team stats for the 1980 team, I don't know how the Astros finished first in the division that year. They were relatively mediocre in both pitching and hitting, outside of Phil Niekro and JR Richard for the 17 games he started.

Yeah, I figured as much. The Astros/Colt .45's were pretty bad until about 1972 or so.

I think, after the All-Time tourny is over, it would be interesting to do like a "Pre 1970s" tourny and then a "Post 1970s" tourny and then sim the winning teams.

I liked the idea of having an "All Time" team for each present team...

Ryan / Scott / Oswalt / Clemens / Johnson would be a good five man rotation

Edit: ...damn, can't believe I forgot about DK as a choice for a pitcher.. I feel bad now

True that, but I'd feel kinda dirty sticking the Unit in there, since he only played for that half-season and while playing openly talked about how he had no interest whatsoever staying in Houston. If I were being true to the 'All-Time' Astros team, I'd stick Dierker in there as the fifth starter...or maybe Jim 'One Vote for the HOF, but I Did Once Strike Out Eight Dodgers to Begin A Game" DeShaies.

I chose the 2004 Yankees as a lark to see if they'd outlast the 2004 Sox, but seeing as how near every 2004 playoff team is being named I agree with the too many modern clubs complaint....

How about the slightly less modern 1994 New York Yankees? Or the 1994 Montreal Expos for that matter...

Well, as an Astros homer and fuckin tired of seeing them bow out continuously in the first round.. I picked the 04 team over the Series team only because of Beltran and the fact that it had been a while since we had a reason to have hope in the Killer B's.

I wanted to say strike shortened Los Expos.. but yeah...

Wha... should I have picked like, the '62 or '63 Colt .45's?

Good Lord, no. They were TERRIBLE. I woulda picked the '80 Stros over the 04 'Stros, if only because I'm a JR Richard fan, and he woulda won the Cy Young that year, had he not gotten ill. And looking at the team stats for the 1980 team, I don't know how the Astros finished first in the division that year. They were relatively mediocre in both pitching and hitting, outside of Phil Niekro and JR Richard for the 17 games he started.

In raw stats they finished first in least runs allowed. Their offense though was very good that season. Jose Cruz, Cesar Cedeno and Terry Puhl constructed one of the greatest outfields of the last 40 years. They look unimpressive because the Astrodome was one of the worst hitters' parks in the live ball era.

In regards to modern teams, one of the problems with running a standard baseball tournament is that you usually need to select deserving teams over the teams you really want to see. This format allows us for once just to take the teams we like. When I run matchups, I'll say something like Cheech13's '04 Red Sox vs. Verne Gagne's '06 Twins. That's why I ask for each person to pick one team. It's not just a competition amongst teams, it's one amongst posters.

Here are the entrants. Does anyone have a problem with their team?

Cheech13: '04 Red Sox

Vern Gagne: '06 Twins

Richard: '98 Padres

MarvinisaLunatic: '97 Orioles

MJ Styles: '89 Orioles

Cena's Writer: '98 Yankees

MFerXtreme87: '84 Tigers

treble: '85 Blue Jays

Criplercrosface9: '01 Mariners

vivalaultra: '98 Astros

Imarkout4eldandy: '76 Reds

Kingofthe909: '56 Dodgers

Smues: '95 Braves

CanadianChris: '94 Expos

Kahran Ramsus: '92 Blue Jays

Mik: '98 Marlins

Just John: '86 Astros

Bored: '90 Athletics

humanoid92: '46 Red Sox

Cartman: '01 Diamondbacks

UndertakerHart: '02 Angels

Cuban Linx: '99 Rangers

phoenixrising: '27 Yankees

2Gold: '19 White Sox

Fokai: '03 Braves

alkeiper: '50 Phillies

devo: '73 Mets

naiwf: '86 Mets

snuffbox: '82 Brewers

Precious Roy: '04 Yankees

HarleyQuinn: '10 Athletics

J.T.: '03 Marlins

Chuck Woolery: '12 Giants

Mole: '75 Red Sox

Usethesledgehammeruh: '93 Phillies

UTBroward: '04 Astros

Porter: '72 Athletics

The Man In Blak: '04 Cardinals

Well, I mentioned the 2004 Cardinals earlier in the thread, but I didn't outright select them, I guess. If there's room in the bracket for an addition, you can put them in for me but, if not, no worries.

Nope, happy with mine. I think we could've and should've made it to the Series that year against the BoSox. Now.. would they have won it all.. don't know but I think they wouldn't have got swept like the Cards did.

Guest Smues
Here are the entrants. Does anyone have a problem with their team?

Smeus: '95 Braves

At least IMarkout3ElDandy was a cool typo.

Here's the format. 38 teams, it will be a standard elimination tournament. Each series will be a best of seven contest. The first round will pit the lowest ranking twelve teams against one another. That will pare the field to 32 teams, and then it will go to 16, 8 and 4. The finals will be a six game round robin tournament among the final four. Teams are seeded based on their regular season winning percentage, and the higher seeded team receives home field advantage. Here are the first round matchups.

'99 Rangers (Cuban Linx) vs. '01 Diamondbacks (Cartman)

'92 Blue Jays (Kahran Ramsus) vs. '73 Mets (devo)

'06 Twins (Vern Gagne) vs. '89 Orioles (MJ Styles)

'50 Phillies (alkeiper) vs. '03 Marlins (J.T.)

'86 Astros (Just John) vs. '98 Marlins (Mik)

'82 Brewers (Snuffbox) vs. '04 Astros (UTBroward)

If your team is not listed, you received a bye into the second round. I hope to simulate and write up one series a day, making it an approximate one month tournament. Details of the finals will come when that portion comes around. Good luck to all.