TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JHawk

Update on me

Hi.

You've all probably wondered where I've been lately. The short version since the long version is gonna take forever:

Basically, I got fired from my retail job about a month ago for "inappropriate behavior" (and to this day I've yet to find out what, exactly, was inappropriate), so internet access kinda became a secondary thing. I just started a new job last week, so I have the net again, but I'm in the process of moving to a new house next month so will have limited access until sometime after March 1.

I am alive, but inactive until further notice.

Firing you for inappropriate behaviour but not telling you what was inappropriate for a month seems a little wrong to me. Is that allowed?

Firing you for inappropriate behaviour but not telling you what was inappropriate for a month seems a little wrong to me. Is that allowed?

It is in Australia after our new workplace reforms.

I don't think so, in all honesty. It was seriously like "Can you remember anything you might have said to another associate in the last 30 to 60 days that might have offended somebody?" I went "I don't even remember what I said to my wife this morning, you're asking me to remember every conversation I had for two months?"

My theory: I made more money than whoever filed the complaint so I lost. I don't know, they're not allowed to tell me who filed the complaint. I'm still looking into maybe finding a lawyer, but the job I've got now pays more anyway.

Not legal advice:

In most states, it's legal for an employer to fire someone for any reason, up to and including "I don't like your face", as long as it doesn't run afoul of constitutional civil rights (ie, I can't fire you for being a woman, black, or gay).

If, however, being fired for misconduct is preventing you from getting unemployment benefits, you may well be entitled to a hearing of some sort.

Once again, this has not been legal advice. I am not a lawyer, much less a lawyer licensed in anyone's jurisdiction, much less YOUR lawyer. You are not my client, because I don't like your face.

I hope everything goes well for you, JHawk. Let me know when you're ready to be booked again.