TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJMc

AOL screennames

I've been an AOL customer for years now, but I've noticed recently that anyone can sign up for an aol.com email address (which I think was stupid on AOL's part). The address is really all I care about, so I was wondering that if I were to cancel my account, could I still use the screenname and email address? I really would like to since the monthly fee is really just a drain on my bank account and I also have Comcast hi-speed.

From what I understand (From an Aol UK standpoint at least) is that they are finally bringing in effective either the start of this month or march that members dont need to still pay for the use of the screen name email address. It used to be that if you switched service providers and wanted to keep your email/sn you could "piggyback" onto the account and only pay a couple of pounds a month rather than the full subscription fee.

They pretty much changed this around recently to where it was free for a name/email but if you wanted broadband etc you had to pay. I'd say just call customer service and see whats what.

Guest Vitamin X

The short answer is yes, yes you can. My mom was an AOL customer for a while until I told her it was silly to pay for both broadband internet and the AOL service when you can go off the broadband internet alone just fine. I even set her up with a new email on yahoo and everything, but then as we were cancelling the AOL membership, it told her she could keep the email and screenname at no extra cost.

So there you have it. Although I don't know how most other companies/people see it, but having an @aol.com email just signifies to me, "computer illiterate douchebag who is blissfully unaware of other better options out there."

Guest Queen Leelee

VX is correct.

Plus, do you really want to keep AOL around for that. What if they start changing for their e-mail service out of nowhere? Have fun canceling with them.

Yeah, I cancelled my AOL a year ago but my e-mail address is still active and I can still use AIM. I barely use the e-mail addy, but it's nice to have a backup.

VX is correct.

Plus, do you really want to keep AOL around for that. What if they start changing for their e-mail service out of nowhere? Have fun canceling with them.

The funny thing is, it's already cancelled in a sense. My bank had to issue me a new debit card with a different number due to the TJ Maxx security breach and AOL doesn't have the new one on file yet. I was going to update my info but I guess there's no need to now.

Thanks to everyone.

I have AOL because it's like 2 bucks or something because my Net is through Time Warner. I don't use it very often.

I have like 10 email addresses however......aol,yahoo,gmail......I have them all over the damn place.