TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Stir Fry!

Guest Vitamin X

I just made a pretty good stir fry, and figured others here would know good ones to make. I love experimenting with these because you basically just throw shit together that you think will go well and hope it comes out nice in the end. Here's what I did today:

- some turkey sausage links that might expire in a couple days if I didn't use em, left in the freezer

- sliced mushrooms

- sliced green bell pepper

- some sliced red onions

- half a jalapeño pepper, sliced and chopped

- baby bok choy

- a little bit of olive oil

- dash of black pepper

I fried them dry at first, then added a little bit of olive oil in there as well for the bok choy to cook in. It came out tasting spicy, not too spicy as to burn the roof of your mouth or anything, but definitely a spicy flavor without a kick (probably if I added in the whole pepper I would've gotten a kick) and sweet with the bok choy and olive oil. The black pepper I put in just for the hell of it, and to make it not taste too bland in case it was far too much green. I served it on a bed of rice and then demolished the whole thing. Really filled me up, and maybe aside from the olive oil, which I was careful not to put too much of in, a healthy meal too.

Stir fry is fucking ideal if you're cooking for a date.

I usually just do sliced chicken breasts, green and red peppers, carrots and green beans. Tried it with potatoes a few weeks ago. Meh.

Guest Vitamin X

I'd like that, except I'd take out the carrots and green beans (unless soy sauce was added), and probably sub in the potatoes, as long as they're red potatoes and cut up, probably in olive oil. Toss in some onion also and grill that.

I think basically for me stir fry has to have three essentials: bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Everything else is just added in to make it interesting, but that's what it has to start with, the foundation/base of the stir fry, the bread of a Subway sandwich, if you will. Obviously some kind of meat product as well, but I guess tofu could be used if the stir fry is just a side, if not just some lettuce/cabbage/bok choy. I'd say bean sprouts are pretty good, though not necessarily essential. They compliment the bell peppers in particular nicely, and sometimes the mushrooms as well.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Marvin mentioned something to me in a food thread a long time ago and I could almost kiss him for it. Don't stir fry in olive oil. Use something with a higher smoke point like peanut.

Pseudo-Asian:

Chicken

Green Beans

water chestnuts

green onions

Been Sprouts

Obviously out of order, but the secret? A dab of sesame oil. That stuff is the shit. But it's totally overpowering if you're not careful.

fried rice:

ground pork

Bean Sprouts

Peas in the pod

carrots

green onions

green, red, yellow bell pepper

rice

soy sauce

Where's the fried egg, maaaaaaaaaan?

When I make it:

Pork or bacon pieces

Green Onion

Fried Egg

Shrimp or Chicken

diced carrots

The peas are missing, but that is a personal thing because I can stand peas.

Guest George's Box

We could simply eat it in moderation, or an easier solution, we could change a mammal's entire celluar structure.

Guest Vitamin X

And I disagree on the olive oil thing. If you put a lot of more "bitter"-tasting veggies such as spinach and whatnot in there like I do, they end up sweetening things. My stir fry at the beginning of this thread is a prime example. It sweetens up the spiciness of it, peanut oil is great and all but this worked out much better for me.

Something like a veggie pad thai maybe?

Although I cannot picture that without the fish sauce or little baby dehydrated shrimp...

Guest Vitamin X
I've got a few ideas from running through this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for a good (and I use that loosely) vegetarian stir-fry?

Tofu is your friend here. It's cheap too, compared to most meats. Bust out the peanut sauce, also, and spinach. Excellent Thai dish.