TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Oedipus Rex

2007 Spring Training: The Thread

Kenny Rogers is out for half a season due to surgery for blood clots.

That's crazy. Will Carroll mentioned in his injury report that the "tired arm" sounded like BS and that it was probably more like blood clots. Guess this is the season that Rogers turns back into a pumpkin. Any bets on how much longer until Todd Jones joins him?

I'm predicting that Joel Zumaya will be the closer by June unless he does something stupid like get "tired arm syndrome" by playing too much Guitar Hero.

A few surprising developments from Tampa. Elijah Dukes has made the team as their starting center fielder (moving Rocco Baldelli to DH). B.J. Upton earned the second base job, moving Jorge Cantu to Durham. I think BJ Upton could be in line for a huge season. Remember he stole 57 bases across two levels last year.

The Astros set their 25-man roster today with the final 2 spots in the rotation going to Wandy Rodriguez and my 2nd favorite Astros' pitcher-Chris Sampson. I'm really happy that Sampson's got the #5 spot, but I'm not so happy that both Rick White and Brian Moehler got spots in the bullpen over either Fernando Nieve or Matt Albers. Rick White probably earned at least a shot in the pen with his excellent spring, but I'm certain that both he and Moehler are going to blow...and blow hard by June. Super utility man Eric Bruntlett surprisingly passed through waivers and made it to AAA Round Rock. I'm surprised he wasn't claimed by anybody; dude can play errorless ball at 7 positions and he'd probably be a better starting 2nd baseman or SS than some other teams have. I'm also kinda sad that almost 1/3 of my fantasy team is starting the season on the DL or, in Cantu's case, in AAA.

The Orioles are gonna run with 13 pitchers (8 in the bullpen) for April and a regular bench of Paul Bako, Freddie Bynum and Chris Gomez, more than likely.

13 pitchers because they only have 2 days off in April and the worry is that none of the pitchers really got worked out enough to expect to go deep into games early in the season, esp Trash-chel and Wright.

Guest Queen Leelee

Baldelli at DH doesn't appear to be a permanent thing. It's because he's already injured his hammy.

I doubt Upton at 2B will last long, either. After he makes 100 errors in the 1st week of the season.

The Orioles are gonna run with 13 pitchers (8 in the bullpen) for April and a regular bench of Paul Bako, Freddie Bynum and Chris Gomez, more than likely.

13 pitchers because they only have 2 days off in April and the worry is that none of the pitchers really got worked out enough to expect to go deep into games early in the season, esp Trash-chel and Wright.

Don't get your hopes up for Wright pitching deep into games, I don't think he pitched more than six innings once last year.

I'm really happy that Sampson's got the #5 spot, but I'm not so happy that both Rick White and Brian Moehler got spots in the bullpen over either Fernando Nieve or Matt Albers.

Nieve got sent down? You're joking. I had Nieve pegged as the fifth starter late in the week.

Yup, Nieve got sent down...instead of just getting rid of Brian Moehler or sending Wandy down, Nieve got sent down. Fuck me if I know why. He had a good spring, definitely worthy of a spot on the club. The only reason I can think of is that the 'Stros really want to keep him as a starter and are sending him to AAA for a couple months to get stretched out and work on another pitch or something. Whatever it is, I can't see him still being in AAA at the ASB. He'll either be the set-up man for Wheeler or the #4 starter by then, I'd imagine.

Well, he did have a 5-pitch save today against the Royals, but that was against the Royals' minor league guys, and while the Royals' minor league guys are arguably more talented than the Major League Royals, Lidge was still crappy during ST and he hasn't really...shown anything that would suggest that he's going to be any better this year. He's supposed to be working on a cutter and a 2-seam fastball that will make him lights out again, but I shall remain my negative attitude until he stops giving up runs every game he pitches in.