TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

Firefox 2 sucks

I've reverted back to 1.5. I think that the "restore session" feature may have been something new for firefox 2...but...with Firefox 1 I didn't really need to use it at all. Since upgrading, it's crashed on me over a dozen times, and half the time it COMPLETELY LOCKS UP my PC. Ctrl-Alt-Del won't even do a damn thing.

So if you haven't upgraded yet--don't.

...I've really no idea what Ichiban has said.

Anyway, yeah, I've noticed that it seems to like to crash. But the restore feature works wonders -- it always brings my tabs back up after crashing. But I've never had the PC lock-up issue.

ps your PC has virii and you're an idiot

Why does it crash on Macs too?

Idiot.

Firefox 2 doesn't crash without reason (most of the time.)

How many times has it crashed on you as opposed to 1?

Firefox 2 locks up when I have one or two windows open, no tabs open, and I'm just clicking it a link. It blows.

The only problems I noticed with the original Firefox is that you open a lot of windows, sometimes a minimized window will apparently vanish--and you won't be able to see it again unless you close most of the other windows first. That isn't even really an issue if you use the tabs, though.

And yeah, the Session Restore is nice, but it's a fix for a problem that nobody really had on Firefox 1 anyway.

I haven't had a single problem with Firefox 2. I've used it on four different machines.

I've used it on 3, it crashed on all, and a few friends are having similar issues (both macs and pcs). I've stuck with it and accepted the updates since it switched over to 2--still isn't reliable for me.

It crashes sometimes but I love the spell check on version 2. Even with all the crashes, It's 100 times better than any version of Internet Explorer. Try Opera.

Guest Vitamin X

I actually don't mind IE7, but I would miss my bookmarks toolbar way too much.

EDIT: HA! And right after I posted that, Firefox crashed.

Guest Vitamin X

Lessee..

with no other tabs open, and no extensions going, it's taking up 81MB of my memory. Sacre bleu!

I doubt it, but it does seem a little better. I think, again, if it weren't for the bookmarks toolbar, I think I might've switched to IE7 already since it's essentially the same thing now.

Only time mine will crash is if I leave a window open for maybe 5 or 10 minutes without touching it. Then when I come back, the memory drain has been so extreme that Firefox freezes. It still doesn't handle flash ads for me very well or just motion ads in general. The restore feature is a nice touch though since I still have times where the window will vanish and I have to CAD it back onto my screen.

You might just be keeping it open too long and the memory drain becomes an overload. When it does that, Firefox still tends to freeze up and force you to wait a few minutes before you can shut it off and restart it.

CAD will show the "Hidden" windows? Cool, I never tried that one.

On our Macs at work, for some reason they rolled us back to Firefox 1.5 from 2. Nobody I talked to knows why exactly, but it wasn't a complete re-image, just that application. Odd. Although 2 was running far, far better on the macs than the PCs I've used.

For the folks who report no issues--do you use pipelining as well? Maybe 2 doesn't like it very much.

Guest Queen Leelee

I have pipelining on, and 2 seems to work a lot better for me than 1.5 did.

I still get memory drain thing occasionally that 2GOLD mentioned, but usually only when I'm running other programs, and such.

Thanks for randomly deleting all my bookmarks, Firefox 2.0.0.3! The instructions I read on how to restore them didn't seem to work either. I guess I'll get most of them manually or try again.

For the first time, I'm noticing the memory issues.

Right now, with four tabs I'm using 134,000 memory. That's...friggin insane. It's slowing my PC down. I got rid of a tab, it only took me down 1,000.

Me thinks I'm gonna have to downgrade, or find a new browser.

I downloaded Opera. I'm digging it so far. It doesn't tax my PC at all, and I can watch videos in it, which for some strange reason I lost that ability in firefox looong ago and could never get it back.

Thumbs up from just a few hours with it.

Guest Gendo

If it is crashing that much you might have some stale data in your user profile application data for FireFox. I have seen at times after an upgrade there can be issues if you do not remove the Mozilla folders in Documents And Settings. If you want to give it a try make sure to backup any pertinent data such as Bookmarks, then uninstall FireFox. Next open an explorer window and remove the FireFox folder in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Mozilla and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla. Also make sure to purge %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox as after an uninstall some older plugins and preferences can hang around that can also cause issues. After all that give a reinstall of 2.0 and cross your fingers.

Good Luck!

I've had issues with Firefox lately. It freezes on me and I have to shut it down. But the thing I love with firefox is the Restore Session button.

If it is crashing that much you might have some stale data in your user profile application data for FireFox. I have seen at times after an upgrade there can be issues if you do not remove the Mozilla folders in Documents And Settings. If you want to give it a try make sure to backup any pertinent data such as Bookmarks, then uninstall FireFox. Next open an explorer window and remove the FireFox folder in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Mozilla and %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla. Also make sure to purge %PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox as after an uninstall some older plugins and preferences can hang around that can also cause issues. After all that give a reinstall of 2.0 and cross your fingers.

Good Luck!

It seems to have worked! I had problems finding some of the folders you mentioned, so i trashed every Mozilla/Firefox folder I could find on my system, restarted and reinstalled. I have had no problems since.