TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gWIL

I need a laptop.

I need a laptop for school. I know very, very little about computers. Money not being a huge issue, I'm looking for something that can do all the basic school related functions (word, spreadsheet, powerpoint, etc.)have wireless internet, the capacity to play Rollercoaster Tycoon, and have a CD burner. I want a PC, but am unsure of what brand to go with. As far as OS, I'm wary of Vista, should I be?

I just went through a similar dilemma myself... well, any major laptop brand should be able to do what you want, though I don't know how intensive a game Rollercoaster Tycoon is. I'd stay away from Gateway and Acer laptops - they seem especially "cheaply" made.

As far as Vista goes, I just bought a laptop with it on it, and it's fine. I'm not crazy about it, but so far it's mostly a prettied-up version of XP from a practical standpoint. If you're getting a new PC laptop, it's pretty much either Vista or scrounge clearance or closeout models for XP loaded ones. For what you need to do - Vista is just fine.

Though if you have money to spare, I'd eye something with 2 GB of RAM, this will come in handy for Vista. While upgrading RAM yourself later is easy, I get the sense you're not the kind of person that's going to want to go RAM shopping a couple of months, so go for 2GB RAM built right in.

Here's something to consider, make sure you like the keyboard, especially since you're using it for school stuff, I assume for papers and essays stuff too. go to the store and type on it for a little while. I realized that I hated some brand keyboards (Toshiba's was really mushy), and liked others (HP's and Sony's felt better, more of a clicky feel which helps me keep a mental track that I didn't miss any keystrokes). IBM thinkpads for instance are known for having the best keyboards in the biz. just something to keep in mind.

The laptop I'm using now is perfect for those features. It's a Dell Latitude 110L -- came from my school, actually. I've no idea about how Vista might run on this type. I've had it since Feb.06 with XP Pro. It came standard with CD Burner/DVD Player, though I recently upgraded to a DVD Burner.

As for gaming, well, look at the specs. This type of laptop is decidedly non-gaming - all the new tecchy games is definetly a no go - but I was able to play Indigo Prophecy and Vampire Masquerade: Redemption.