TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

Jurassic Park IV

BEVERLY HILLS, California — "Hold on to your butts": The long-in-development "Jurassic Park IV" is finally heading to the big screen, actress Laura Dern told MTV News.

"It is happening. Rumor has it [my character] Ellie Sattler may be back in the woods, back on the island," Dern announced, saying the movie will hit theaters in 2008. She added with a coy smile, "You know, there is a guy I know who told me he wants me to have something to do with it. [so] I have a date with a dinosaur again. My 5-year-old will be thrilled."

A fourth installment of the popular adventure franchise has been in the works since "Jurassic Park III" opened to mixed reviews but high box-office receipts in 2001. Screenwriters as diverse as John Sayles and recent Oscar winner William Monahan ("The Departed") have been attached to write "IV."

While rumored to be dissatisfied with various scripts, director and producer Steven Spielberg has continued to staunchly support "Jurassic Park III" helmer Joe Johnston, whom he called in a 2006 interview with SpielbergFilms.com the "go-to 'Jurassic' guy" and the "right guy to do the fourth one."

But apparently Johnston isn't "the right guy" to direct the sequel. When reached for comment, representatives for the director were adamant that Johnston is "definitely not directing ['Jurassic Park IV']."

So who will direct the fiercely awaited sequel? Laughing, Dern suggested a candidate some might consider a little outside the box.

"I don't know if he is in talks with them or not, [but] maybe David Lynch [should direct] it just to kind of shake things up a little bit. That would make it kind of interesting and unique," the 40-year-old actress said of her longtime collaborator. "I don't know [who] — I just hope it's as irreverent as Steven has always wanted them to be."

According to Dern, those tones of irreverence and humor are of paramount importance to the success of any "Jurassic Park" film. "I think the more irreverent and hilarious that they can be would be good," Dern said. "Hopefully [there are] very funny writers working on it, because whenever it got funny and irreverent, I thought that was really good news."

While Dern was confident the film was "[just] around the corner," the "Jurassic Park" veteran paleobotanist hasn't actually seen a completed script, nor does she know where the story might be headed. "I know nothing else except that it is happening," she insisted.

So what would Dern like to see? Why, dinosaurs that were less fierce, of course.

"I've never really liked them very much. They were never really nice to me — it's not like it was a party on that island!" Dern joked. "But the [sick] triceratops [from the first film] was sweet. So maybe a nice herd of triceratops that I could ride or something. Riding a dinosaur would be [a lot of] fun."

Calls to reps for series stars Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill were not returned by press time.

http://www.mtv.com/#/movies/news/articles/...406/story.jhtml

Keira Knightley has been rumoured to be signed already for this.

I'm a JP mark, I loved the first two and thought that given that it had no book to work off of the third was a solid film as well.

Having said that, early drafts of this script floating around looked pretty terrible. It looks like the big plotline will be that the raptors have......wait for it........become EVEN SMARTER THEN BEFORE.

I'm a JP mark, I loved the first two and thought that given that it had no book to work off of the third was a solid film as well.

Having said that, early drafts of this script floating around looked pretty terrible. It looks like the big plotline will be that the raptors have......wait for it........become EVEN SMARTER THEN BEFORE.

They may aswell have the Raptors start speaking like humans.

"You may have us, but you'll never get off the island."

" I beg to differ. You see, the other Raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela. Once there, I shall lie low and assume odd-jobs under the name 'Mr Pilkington'. But perhaps I've said too much... "

If they get Goldblum back I'll fully support this. Until then, I'm not sure. I found Laura Dern to be a terrible Ellie, totally different then how the character was written in the book. And on that note, Sam Neill in the movies was more or less the anti-Grant in terms of how he was written in the book. Goldblum got Malcom down to a tee.

If we get a Raptor singing "New York, New York" like that Gremlin did in Gremlins II I'm all for it.

Have a Brain Raptor that wears glasses, speaks with a sophisticated accent, and shoots all of the other dimwitted Raptors with a gun.

I posted a thread about that horrible screenplay almost three years ago!

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=60399

:lol:

I want to tread lightly on what happens over the course of the rest of the film on the off chance that Mary Parent or someone at Universal is seriously going to make this thing. There’s the eight-year-old-boy side of me that thinks that a DIRTY DOZEN-style mercenary team of hyper-smart dinosaurs in body armor killing drug dealers and rescuing kidnapped children will be impossible to resist. And then there’s the side of me that says... WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?! Nick is put in charge of training these five dinosaurs, X1 through X5, and the first thing he does is name them. “Any soldier worth his pay has a name to answer to, not a number,” he says.

So we are introduced to Achilles, Hector, Perseus, Orestes, and Spartacus, each of them a specially created deinonychus, which is sort of like a miniature T-rex. They have super-sensitive smell and hearing, incredible strength and speed and pack-hunting instincts, and they have modified forelegs, lengthened and topped with more dextrous fingers, as well as dog DNA for increased obedience and human DNA so they can solve problems well. All of this is topped off with a drug-regulating implant that can dose them with adrenaline or serotonin as the situation demands.

Guest Vitamin X

Wow, yeah I hope that isn't the story. Unless they wanted to do that story completely outside of the Jurassic Park realm, then that would be awesome.

If we get a Raptor singing "New York, New York" like that Gremlin did in Gremlins II I'm all for it.

Have a Brain Raptor that wears glasses, speaks with a sophisticated accent, and shoots all of the other dimwitted Raptors with a gun.

"I beg to differ. You see, the other Raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela. Once there, I shall lie low and assume odd-jobs under the name "Mr Pilkington". But perhaps I've said too much..."

Jurassic Park vs TMNT with the plot being that crazy scientist who runs JP finds the secret of the ooze to give the Raptors the ability to become human-like then Shredder recruits them to join his army to take over the world! Ash of Army of Darkness would make a cameo to fight Casey Jones.

Jurassic Park vs TMNT with the plot being that crazy scientist who runs JP finds the secret of the ooze to give the Raptors the ability to become human-like then Shredder recruits them to join his army to take over the world! Ash of Army of Darkness would make a cameo to fight Casey Jones.

Didn't that scientist guy die in the series at the end of part 3?

That sounds infinitely better than whatever JP4 actually is.

Why does everything have to be a franchise in the first place? I liked the first Jurassic Park, but the sequels were dog shit. I'm sure the fourth will be no exception. Another good example is Pirates of the Caribbean. Why an EPIC TRILOGY~? The first movie had a completely acceptable ending. I realize these "franchises" are made to sap money out of the gullible moviegoing public, but there are plenty of original ideas that could accomplish that.

Guest Vitamin X

All of the subsequent Star Wars in the OT were much better than the first one.

The first JP was awesome. The Lost World is very underated as I thought it was great. the third one was pretty much shit thought although there were some cool parts like the fight between the T-Rex and the Spinosaurus and the intire Pteranodon scene.

They need to bring back Goldblum and Speilberg to do number 4. part 3 wasn't the same without them.

Im still bitter about the third because my favorite dinosaur has about one minute of screentime before being killed off like a bitch. If you watch the featurette on the DVD, it is implied that Spino has probably killed all of the T-Rexes on the island too.

:(