TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Gomi vs. Diaz to be ruled no-contest

MMA Weekly

Fighter Nick Diaz, following his defeat of Takanori Gomi on the February 24, 2007 Pride event in Las Vegas, Nevada, also tested positive for Delta-9-THC. The commission suspended Diaz for 6 months from the date of his fight, which would be August 24, 2007 and fined him $3,000, which was 20 percent of his reported $15,000 purse. In addition to the suspension and fine, the NSAC also ruled that the result of the Diaz vs. Gomi contest be changed from a victory for Diaz to a result of no contest.

Apparently, the commission felt that the level for which Diaz tested at, 175, was a considering factor in his performance during the fight. Dr. Tony Alamo, the Commission's Chair, said that a result of 15 is considered positive, but that the NSAC has a threshold of 50 to test positive for THC and that they "feel very comfortable that everyone that tests positive [in Nevada] is truly positive."

Alamo went on to say, "Mr. Diaz was 175. This creates a unique situation. I was there at this fight and believe that you were intoxicated and... that it made you numb to the pain. Did it help you win? I think it did."

In his statements to the commission, Diaz said, "I wasn't under the influence when I was fighting. I don't abuse drugs normally; it was a one-time thing. It was very embarrassing for me to test positive."

He also pleaded for leniency from the Commission as he indicated that he is the primary provider for his household.

If I remember right, Gomi broke his fucking EYE with one of those shots. Diaz just...took it.

So, I actually do think if he tested that high that it could have numbed the pain significantly. And in any case, it's his own damned fault for being stupid in the first place.

In his statements to the commission, Diaz said, "I wasn't under the influence when I was fighting. I don't abuse drugs normally; it was a one-time thing. It was very embarrassing for me to test positive."

He was so high when he made this comment.