TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Dream Pop and Shoegazer

I've been listening to a lot of shoegazer and dream pop music lately (My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, Lush, etc.) and well, it comes to my mind that it all deserves a thread.

Thank God I've got Banky on ignore. I should have told him to stay out of the thread.

That out of the way, I do love the album Psychocandy.

Also, though it's metal, I think Jesu also counts as shoegazer.

the dream pop / shoe gazer comment was serious. i have no idea what the difference is.

and nothing more to elaborate with besides you love pyschocandy? i sincerely enjoy loveless but the tracks become too uniformed. but the enire vibe of it is amazing. when i am in a mood i could listen to it back to back 3 times. but pyschocandy. this is a perfect pop album with a delicious left turn. delicious fuzz. taste of cindy does me in every time. hello.

One band that I like that might or might not be shoegaze depending on definition of the genre is Mineral. They might be emo, too. I'm not sure, but they're good.

I think you have to be British...at least that's what wikipedia says. I always thought Pavement had shoegaze tendencies. Maybe I don't understand the genre at all. :(

Serena Maneesh are pretty good (do they count?)

Yep. Also, Starflyer 59 (aka the only Christian band that doesn't suck) counts as well.

Christ, ive not heard of any of these bands.

Maybe i should stop listening to 90's grunge and join the 21st century...

This genre still lives. There's a guy named Michael Luckner who titled his project the easy-to-search-for Guitar, who's done a MBV tribute, kind of. I don't know of much more recent stuff, but this is a genre the Japanese do well in. I have no idea what their name means, but Coaltar of the Deepers is great. Luminous Orange probably does the best job of taking this kind of sound forward.

Well... Loveless is one of the best albums ever, like ever. Everything else by My Bloody Valentinte is good. Including the Lost in Translation Sountrack.

Czech would be the one to reccomend you some good shoegaze. Maybe he on;y gave me the basics.

One band that I like that might or might not be shoegaze depending on definition of the genre is Mineral. They might be emo, too. I'm not sure, but they're good.

I very much enjoy the first Mineral album, especially the oddly moving noise guitars. I really wouldn't consider them emo these days, at one time maybe, but the term doesn't really apply to that type of music anymore. Now they do probably have more in common with My Bloody Valentine types.

I always thought Pavement had shoegaze tendencies.

haha

Anyway, I've long contended that Ride's Nowhere is better than MBV's Loveless (the former generally considered the second best shoegaze album, behind the latter). I mean, christ, Nowhere has "Vapour Trail."

In other news, a good band that few people talk about these days that would fall under this category is Rollerskate Skinny.