TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The last 25-30 pages of Maxim

WTF is up with this? For those not familiar they use the last few pages to show hot clothes, watches, shoes, etc. at the moment.

The problem I have is... you see something you like and think about buying it but then you look at the caption and it's like $375 jeans or a $1200 watch. I guess they need to provide options for the ballers too but I see it as a cocktease.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has ever felt this frustration. This was spurred on by seeing a pair of Pumas I liked in the hot sneaker section and finding out they are $230 special edition shoes, followed on the very next page by a $975 watch catching my eye.

Guest Vitamin X

But the worst part is there ARE people in their target demographic who will happily buy this stuff.

Doesn't anyone remember that the magazine and advertising industry (more or less one in the same at times, but particularly in the case of Maxim, here) has the job of making people feel inadequate so they'll spend more and be good little consumers?

At the risk of sounding like a fag...I actually read it for the articals.

Not at all. Back in the day, Maxim was revolutionary. Stuff like the Man Quiz or the Munchie Tournament was fantastic.

Not at all. Back in the day, Maxim was revolutionary. Stuff like the Man Quiz or the Munchie Tournament was fantastic.

Yeah, it sounds absolutely groundbreaking.

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not; If you were, it was hardly epic, but it really was one-of-a-kind.

I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not; If you were, it was hardly epic, but it really was one-of-a-kind.

I thought YOU were being sarcastic...

Maxim has set trends—at least in the sub-community of men's magazines. I recall Details—one of the few men's magazines I read regularly—had a terrible Maxim-esque makeover that turned me off from reading a few years back. (They've since reverted to their old style.) Even Playboy has copped from Maxim; Mariah Carey was on the cover and had an accompanying layout, in which she showed about as much flesh as she would've in a non-nudie rag.

But yeah, Maxim's fucking garbage.