TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NHL Offseason - 2007

You send the message to the Rangers by signing their goalie right now to the same offer sheet and then laughing since they CAN'T match it.

The Sabres could...and knew that they were going to have to at some point.

I'm happy that it happened. It forced Buffalo to actually commit to someone longer than 3 years.

Is there any reason why LA won't sign Lundquist? It seems like a fit is right there. King?

Do they have the necessary cap space?

Between Chris Drury, Daniel Briere, Dainius Zubrus, and Thomas Vanek, the Sabres have had over $157 million thrown at their players in the last six days

Wow. The Ducks win a cup with defense...and the Sabres forwards get ridiculous paychecks.

I remember there being talk of Parise being an RFA and a possible target for an offer sheet, that's why I brought his name up.

I wonder if the Flyers taking Pitkanen to arbitration still holds since he was traded. If you really wanted to make Lowe look bad you swipe the player he just traded his captain for. Granted it would be idiotic to offer Joni an unmatchable offer sheet, but it would be some good pissy retaliation. And yes, being mad at your player being sent an offer sheet is beyond retarded.

You will probably see more use of arbitration since after a team declares to take the player to arb, they can't be sent an offer sheet. It would at least buy teams a year to work something out.

A team can give Lundquist an offer sheet, but he's said publicly that he won't sign it. He wants to stay with the Rags. Just offering him the contract won't do anything. He would have to sign it.

Is there any reason why LA won't sign Lundquist? It seems like a fit is right there. King?

He's going to arbitration.

Not allowed.

And we don't have the capspace anymore. We spent it on 5 good players. We have our own 5 million dollar worthy RFA to worry about, he needs to get signed before he gets a huge arbitration award. We could have signed RFA's, but making enemies is not the way to go. I'd like to see the other GM's stick it to Lowe worse by not having talks with him about anything. How's he going to get players then? No person with a soul is going to come to Edmonton through free agency, and IF the GM's called bullshit on Lowe for his move today, nobody would deal with him either.

What Lowe did today was an action of a desperate man. He would have been giving up 4 top 10 picks for mediocrity rather than sucktitude. I WISH Buffalo hadn't matched.

I wonder if the Flyers taking Pitkanen to arbitration still holds since he was traded. If you really wanted to make Lowe look bad you swipe the player he just traded his captain for. Granted it would be idiotic to offer Joni an unmatchable offer sheet, but it would be some good pissy retaliation. And yes, being mad at your player being sent an offer sheet is beyond retarded.

You will probably see more use of arbitration since after a team declares to take the player to arb, they can't be sent an offer sheet. It would at least buy teams a year to work something out.

I think Pitkanen is still going to arbitration as I don't see Lowe pulling this move with Pitkanen not being signed.

Not allowed.

And we don't have the capspace anymore. We spent it on 5 good players. We have our own 5 million dollar worthy RFA to worry about, he needs to get signed before he gets a huge arbitration award. We could have signed RFA's, but making enemies is not the way to go. I'd like to see the other GM's stick it to Lowe worse by not having talks with him about anything. How's he going to get players then? No person with a soul is going to come to Edmonton through free agency, and IF the GM's called bullshit on Lowe for his move today, nobody would deal with him either.

What Lowe did today was an action of a desperate man. He would have been giving up 4 top 10 picks for mediocrity rather than sucktitude. I WISH Buffalo hadn't matched.

I don't see this happening because a GM's job is to make his team better and if Lowe comes along and offers you a deal that will improve your team I can bet you my left nut that the other GM will accept it.

The Marlies have Pogge and Racine already, so unless Racine is leaving, I guess it's to be the 3rd stringer. It's not like the guy is a prospect, or even an NHL calibre goaltender,

What's the logic behind the signing of Clemmensen by the Leafs? Replace Aubin on the Marlies? They can't be signing him as a backup to Toskala, can they?

Rumors had the Red Wings being interested in Raycroft. I'd expect that with Toskala signing an extension and Raycroft not having the best of years last year, they might be shopping Raycroft.

Not allowed.

I don't see this happening because a GM's job is to make his team better and if Lowe comes along and offers you a deal that will improve your team I can bet you my left nut that the other GM will accept it.

Good thing Lowe doesn't have the players to make such a deal. He doesn't have any players to make such an offer that would wow me into making a deal with him.

Kevin Lowe just raised the price of every Restricted Free Agent by 50%. That's going to piss a lot of GM's off.

Lowe did what he felt would improve his team, which is his job.

If the Sabres are this unhappy with the contract, don't match it. Buffalo fans with half a brain in their heads (I know, hard to imagine) would understand why you didn't match. It might be a tough sell for all of the bandwagon fans they've seemed to pick up that you lost Drury, Briere and Vanek in one off-season, but you take the four draft picks from Edmonton, all of which look to be top-10 since Vanek alone isn't going to turn the franchise around, and move on. All this big talk about getting revenge on Lowe is fucking amateur. He did his fucking job. Should he have done it? Probably not, but he got shut out of the big name free agents and is stuck at the bottom of the barrel trying to rebuild with a ton of capspace and no real "talents" out there to do it with.

Any GM who would actually not take an offer from Lowe that would actually improve their team because of some fucking grudge should be fired on the spot. Offering an RFA a contract is LEGAL within the current guidelines of the CBA. It's up to the PLAYER to sign the offer sheet. Maybe if Regier and Quinn weren't busy lowballing Briere and expecting him to take MUCH less than he was worth on the open market, this wouldn't have happened. Asset management, kids. Vanek is an asset that has value that another team wanted. Either sign him immediately after losing Briere and Drury or face the fact that you might lose him.

What's the logic behind the signing of Clemmensen by the Leafs? Replace Aubin on the Marlies? They can't be signing him as a backup to Toskala, can they?

Rumors had the Red Wings being interested in Raycroft. I'd expect that with Toskala signing an extension and Raycroft not having the best of years last year, they might be shopping Raycroft.

They are shopping Raycroft. Aubin is gone, so I guess Clemmensen is going to be their backup should Raycroft be moving on. I guess it's all good if Toskala plays about 80 games.

Lowe did what he felt would improve his team, which is his job.

If the Sabres are this unhappy with the contract, don't match it. Buffalo fans with half a brain in their heads (I know, hard to imagine) would understand why you didn't match. It might be a tough sell for all of the bandwagon fans they've seemed to pick up that you lost Drury, Briere and Vanek in one off-season, but you take the four draft picks from Edmonton, all of which look to be top-10 since Vanek alone isn't going to turn the franchise around, and move on. All this big talk about getting revenge on Lowe is fucking amateur. He did his fucking job. Should he have done it? Probably not, but he got shut out of the big name free agents and is stuck at the bottom of the barrel trying to rebuild with a ton of capspace and no real "talents" out there to do it with.

Any GM who would actually not take an offer from Lowe that would actually improve their team because of some fucking grudge should be fired on the spot. Offering an RFA a contract is LEGAL within the current guidelines of the CBA. It's up to the PLAYER to sign the offer sheet. Maybe if Regier and Quinn weren't busy lowballing Briere and expecting him to take MUCH less than he was worth on the open market, this wouldn't have happened. Asset management, kids. Vanek is an asset that has value that another team wanted. Either sign him immediately after losing Briere and Drury or face the fact that you might lose him.

My question is...does Lowe actually have the players out there to make an offer that would improve most teams? Hardly.

My question is...does Lowe actually have the players out there to make an offer that would improve most teams? Hardly.

He has Torres, Pitkanen, Hemsky, Stoll, Greene, Smid and quite a number of prospects. It's not a lot, but Lowe has building blocks. Again, to act like a GM wouldn't take his call because of some kind of loyalty to the Sabres is just ridiculous. If a GM ignored Lowe despite Lowe having something to improve his team, that GM is not a good one.

I don't think anyone in Buffalo is unhappy about the contract.

Dudes 23 and he's a scoring 43 goals.

It just means Crosby became a 9 million dollar a year player.

New CBA so far....

fantastic...

At least it's not Bobby Holik making $9 million or Martin Lapointe making $5 million. With the cap, a guy like Crosby or Vanek can make big bucks but it'll mean someone else will have to take less.

Now New Jersey can get a capable backup, win the season-ending shootout and get the Leafs into the playoffs.

I don't think anyone in Buffalo is unhappy about the contract.

Dudes 23 and he's a scoring 43 goals.

It just means Crosby became a 9 million dollar a year player.

New CBA so far....

fantastic...

I will say that Vanek's contract makes Eric Staal's look like a steal at the moment.

DETROIT -- General manager Ken Holland announced today that the Red Wings have agreed to contract terms with goaltender Dominik Hasek on a one-year deal. In keeping with club policy, additional terms are not available.

Sidney Crosby signed an extension worth $43.5 million over 5 years (starting after next season, I guess). About a $9 million a year cap hit, then, that's pretty good, but it'll be interesting to see if they can keep Malkin or Staal, although I think it has to be a given that at least one of them goes somewhere else.