Cardinals (Anthony Reyes) at Mets (Tom Glavine), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Mets at Phillies, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Brewers at Cubs, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Twins at Tigers, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Twins at Tigers, 8:00/5:00, ESPN

Guest George's Box

Ozzie's gonna kill Darin Erstad. Guy put himself back on the DL after one play. Whatta maroon. But not as dumb as the guy that wrote about it for the site:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

One day after make his return to the White Sox starting lineup

outfielder Darin Erstad found himself in a familiar place-right back on the disabled list.

"I was glad the ball wasn't hit to me again that inning," Ersad said.

If I can't play the way I play. I just have to get it right."

"There is no use me going out there and tearing it again in a real bad situation.

Link

With regard to Buehrle, know this: He is eligible for free agency at the end of the season and previously expressed a desire to pitch for the St. Louis Cardinals near his home in Missouri. According to sources, the White Sox have no intention of allowing any club interested in Buehrle to negotiate a contract extension as part of a trade, which means Buehrle may very well prove to be nothing more than a three-month rental.

I'd hang up the phone on Williams right then and there if he told me you can't discuss a contract extension with the player, especially for the package it would take to get him.

Beck found dead at age 38; foul play not suspected

Rod Beck was a menacing sight on the mound, with a bushy mustache and a searing stare that intimidated batters throughout his 13-year career as one of baseball's best closers.

Yet his friends in the game knew Beck as a hardworking teammate and a jovial character whose early death saddened players all around the major leagues.

Beck, an All-Star relief pitcher who earned 286 career saves, was found dead in his home Saturday. He was 38.

"He was a great guy -- always happy, always picking guys up," said Giants outfielder Ryan Klesko, who played with Beck in San Diego. "I know he went through some tough times in the last couple of years, and it just crushes you."

Beck was discovered by police officers responding to a call to his home in suburban Phoenix, police department spokesman Andy Hill said Sunday. Foul play is not suspected, though the cause of death might not be known for several days.

Beck is survived by his wife, Stacey, and two daughters, 13-year-old Kayla and 12-year-old Kelsey.

With unruly hair framing his piercing eyes and an aggressive arm swing before delivering a pitch, the outgoing right-hander was a colorful baseball personality and a three-time All-Star. He spent the first seven of his 13 big league seasons with the San Francisco Giants.

Beck was popular with teammates, fans and reporters, but battled personal demons late in his life. He abruptly left the San Diego Padres for a two-month stint in rehabilitation during his final season in 2004.

"He was having some problems, and I just knew he went into rehab and joined us later that year," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy, the Padres' manager at the time. "It's so sad when you see healthy players go at such a young age. This is a bad day in baseball to lose a guy who did so much for the game."

Nicknamed "Shooter" and well-known for his fondness for country music, cowboy boots and cigarettes, Beck pitched for the Giants (1991-97), the Chicago Cubs (1998-99) and the Boston Red Sox (1999-2001) before finishing his career with the Padres (2003-04).

Drehs: A man of the people

Rod Beck was the toast of Des Moines when he played for the Cubs' Triple-A team, wrote Wayne Drehs in 2003. Story

While working his way back to the majors in 2003, Beck pitched for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs and famously lived in his Winnebago parked just beyond the outfield fence. Delighted fans would drop by for autographs and stay for a beer -- until the Padres called.

"You wanted him to have the ball at the end of the game," said Pirates outfielder Xavier Nady, who played with Beck in San Diego in 2003, when he picked up 20 saves and three wins in an incredible 2½-month stretch.

Beck was revered by teammates for demanding the ball in the ninth inning. To that end, according to the Chicago Tribune, the license plates on one of the several cars he owned read "9 IS MINE."

"He was very good at what he did," Nady said. "He'll always be respected for what he did as a closer. He was a guy who was fun to be around, and made other guys smile."

Beck set the Giants' single-season record with 48 saves in 1993. He was on the mound when San Francisco clinched the NL West title in 1997, and was the Giants' career saves leader with 199 until Robb Nen passed him in 2002.

50 saves in a season

Rod Beck was one of only a few pitchers in baseball history to record 50 or more saves in a season.

50-save club Pitcher Season(s)

Mariano Rivera 2001, 2004

Eric Gagne 2002, 2003

John Smoltz 2002

Rod Beck 1998

Trevor Hoffman 1998

Randy Myers 1993

Dennis Eckersley 1992

Bobby Thigpen 1990

"I broadcast a lot of games when he got the final out," Giants broadcaster Duane Kuiper told the San Francisco Chronicle. "Half of those times, he did it on guts."

Beck was a favorite at Candlestick Park through most of the 1990s, but left to sign with the Cubs as a free agent in 1998.

"Everyone in the Giants organization is deeply saddened by the loss of a dear friend," Giants owner Peter Magowan said. "Rod Beck was a true Giant in every sense of the word, from his dedication on the field to his selflessness away from the park."

Beck saved 51 games in his first season in Chicago, helping the Cubs win the NL wild card. He had a career record of 38-45 in 704 games with a 3.30 ERA.

"He was helpful to everybody," said Cubs pitcher Kerry Wood, the 1998 NL Rookie of the Year. "Always in a good mood, great teammate, great person. He had the closer mentality. He had a short memory. Every day he came in, he was obviously excited to be there and you could see it."

After games, Beck and several Cubs teammates would often sit around drinking beer and smoking cigarettes as they talked baseball.

"You don't see that anymore," Wood said. "Really haven't seen a whole lot of it since he left. That's part of the old-school mentality. You hang around and you have a few beers and talk about the game and talk about mistakes you made, talk about good things you did and learn from each other."

At a Giants-Cubs game at Wrigley Field last Sept. 2, Beck threw out the ceremonial first pitch and sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch.

Beck was involved in charity work with the Pediatric AIDS Foundation and other worthy causes during his time in San Francisco.

His generosity was felt in smaller ways as well. He once picked up a $700 tab for a group of writers sitting near his family at a Scottsdale restaurant during spring training, according to the Tribune.

"Shooter was a hard nosed, blue-collar kind of guy that wore his heart on his sleeve, and that is what made him so endearing to baseball fans everywhere," said Rick Thurman, Beck's longtime agent.

"He was the utmost professional whose love for the game was only overshadowed by his passion for his family. Rod was the guy who you wanted in the foxhole with you, a warrior on the field and a teddy bear at home."

Games like this show why the Cubs probably shouldn't consider real contenders. Blow a five-run lead in the ninth without recording a single out thanks to our super pair of relievers we locked up a couple off-seasons ago. Seriously, Scott Eyre shouldn't have a job right now. At least a fan charged at Howry.

At least a fan charged at Howry

This deserves more mention.

I laughed my ass off watching The Score Tonight. Savard curses the Cubs by saying 'let's get some runs' with a five-run lead, six runs score on four hits, fan charges, and the Cubbies just walk it off? That's mafuckin baseball.

Grady Little announced Monday that Nomar Garciaparra will be moving to third base on Friday to make room for James Loney as the everyday starter at 1st.

Finally, Little uses his brain. It only took three months.

Now, how long will it take for him to get Matt Kemp in the lineup full time.

DURDURS IS BETTER PUT IN THIS DURN GUY WITH A FUNCTIONING BODY

Seriously, this is the best move possible. Nomar's going to blow his knee out by Sunday. I have to know how a guy that pulled in a .380 average and .426 OBP last year in AAA hasn't had the opportunity to start full time until now. Absolutely mindblowing.

I guess Jacque Jones was the new Marlins centerfielder, but the deal is now dead because of money issues. Dear god, Cubs, just eat the contract and be done with it.

Yeesh...the Brewers just scored nine runs in one inning against the Astros, including a grand slam by Johnny Estrada.

Guess they'll be taking another series.

I dunno...the Astros did go back-to-back in the 2nd inning. Maybe they'll go back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back in the 7th.

Wandy walked the first two batters of the inning. Then uh...somebody got a hit. Then Rickie Weeks hit a shallow fly to Luke Scott who misplayed it HORRIBLY and it turned into a bases clearing triple. Then Rick 'Double Balls' White came in and gave up a 2-run homer on his first pitch. Then he walked a couple and gave up a hit to load the bases. Then Johnny Estrada hit a grand slam. Oh...and there was a grasshopper on Rick White's cap for the entire inning. Jim DeShaies said it was good luck. It was not good luck.

Uh oh. After Marmol comes back to strike out two, Sweet Lou is matching up bringing in Will Oh-man to get the last out. That last out is the tying run in the form of Todd Helton.

Guest George's Box
Then Rick 'Double Balls' White came in and gave up a 2-run homer on his first pitch. Then he walked a couple and gave up a hit to load the bases. Then Johnny Estrada hit a grand slam.

Yeah well he sucked quadruple balls tonight. Stop calling him that. I don't get it.

'Double Balls' came from back when he was with Pittsburgh and the Phillies. Every time the 'Stros played one of those teams, Jim Deshaies and Bill Brown would go on and on that Rick White (whose number at that time was Double Zero) picked that number to honor his father who wore the 00 for his softball team or some shit. Seriously, they told that same story every time he came in like it was the most interesting thing in the world. And Rick White sucks and the 00 on his uniform looked like two big testicles so, during one game I was watching with my brother, he came in and my brother jokingly said, "Uh-oh...here comes Big Double Balls!!!!" We laughed for a good few minutes at that. A couple weeks ago at a game, Rick White was signing autographs and my brother got him to autograph his hat 'Rick "Double Balls" White'. So, yeah, even though he's morbidly obese and he sucks, he's still got that going for him...and he's got a nice goatee.

And that's my overly long explanation unto the origins of 'Double Balls'.

viva, what do you think about the vast conspiracy hatched by the Astros to ensure that Biggio gets #3,000 at MMP--the right thing to do, or is Uncle D just trying to sell a few more tickets and t-shirts?

Guest George's Box

The Giants are holding Bonds out of the lineup in road games too.