TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Intestine

I got a pet rat

So last night I went to a friends party, and she had a rat. He's about one years old, and largy neglected by them. I played with him all night and she said that I could have him :)

So today I went out and bought a bigger cage for him, and a few accessories. Spent close to $250 on the thing so far. I have a ladder set up going to an upper level with a hammock, but he hasn't went up there yet. I assume he will once he gets used to the idea of not being cramped in a small cage like he has been all his life.

He's really cool though. I love how he runs through tunnels in a blanket, or sits on my shoulder.

I re-named him Splinter (Yeah, I know, typical). It seems like he already knows his name.. pretty smart.

I'm surprised because I read that rats who grow up alone and aren't payed much attention to, aren't very social, But Splinter is.

I think I'm going to continue to purchase rats after he passes.

Anyone else have a pet rat? Any suggestions on what to feed him?

A breeder I know told me to feed him hampster food mixed with dried veggies. She had a rat who lived 5 years, and they're only supposed to live 2-3, so I think I'll listen.

I've had five rats over the years, three at once on one occasion, and two at once on another occasion. They really are excellent pets, you've got me thinking I should get another one (at least one) now.

I've had five rats over the years, three at once on one occasion, and two at once on another occasion. They really are excellent pets, you've got me thinking I should get another one (at least one) now.

Was the milk tasty?

At first my cat was scared of him, now he just doesn't pay him much attention.

I found a homemade recipe on the net that I like...

He doesn't seem to eat much veggies. Probably because with his previous owner he just had a big head of lettuce in the cage and got sick of it.

He just walked over my keyboard and refreshed the page.

So Milkys the only person who's had pet rats?

I think we'd get along in person. Don't know why.. don't know much about him..

Okay!

No, but I manage a mouse colony at work. Does that count for something?

I mostly do experiments on them but need to breed them etc. as well. I had 150 mice going at my max, which was like 45 cages of mice. I'll be gone from here in six months so I deal with a lot smaller number of mice now, but yeah... they are cuter then people think. They get a bad rap.

A few weeks ago, I bought two more rats to keep Splinter company. Their names are Shredder and Luke.

Today I woke up, and Splinter was laying on the bottom of the cage, dead.

He was the best pet I've ever had. He'd always crawl up onto my lap for some cuddles.. He always loved when I came home. When I first moved to Toronto, I would have been so lonely if I hadn't had him to keep me company. He was my best friend. Lately, he'd be having troubles climbing, and the last few days it looked like he was barely keeping his eyes open. I wish I would have done more. I could have taken him to the vet. I wish I would have spent more time with him last night. But, there's no going back. He was probably somewhere from 2-3 years old. R.I.P. buddy.

Shredder and Luke aren't very social yet. They won't cuddle with me.. though, they'll let me scratch them a little.

Shredder:

shredder1.jpg

Luke:

luke1.jpg

Splinter:

splint1.jpgsplinterwet.jpg

I don't see it as any different as taking a dog or a cat to the vet..

I think they're just as smart as those animals.. and they'd cost less to take to the vet.. So unless life expectancy is the only factor in determining if a pet is vet worthy.

For one, rats are kept more as food than pets, and as such, vets don't get too many rats. I'd expect the vet to at most prescribe the rat some painkillers while he dies.

But life expectancy is more important.

Rats only live a few years. Your rat was almost two years old, and it was his time to go.

Sure, take a rat to the vet if you want, but if he's just old and dying, let him die. To use the cats and dogs analogy, I've known some people with really old cats. They get so tired and frail you can't hardly pick them up without feeling like you're going to break them. If that cat's going to die, let him die.

There are actually some vets who specialize in rats.

But you're right about letting them die. Everyones time comes.

It just sucks because last night when I had him out, he kept crawling up onto my pillow where I was laying, and I kept taking him off of it and putting him on his blanket. Poor guy probably knew he was dying and just wanted to be close to me.

Oh wells.

Guest Vitamin X

I think it's really something interesting that all pets- be it cats, dogs, or even rats I guess- do that thing where they want to be as close as they can to their loved ones before they die. Really makes you wonder about if the "human experience" in terms of bonding with familial members is all that special.

My condolences, twiztedmind.

When first reading this thread, I didn't realize it was started in June of '07; I first thought Splinter died a week or so after you got him. I didn't know they only lived 2-3 years -- I wouldn't want to deal with the high turnover rate. Hey, at least he had a good 6+ months -- that's more than many rodents get. Were there any territory disputes between the three?

In most cases when introducing rats there are, and you're supposed to go through a bunch of steps in introducing them.

Shredder is actually Luke's dad, and they were both in the same cage at the pet shop, so there's no problems there. Splinter was old and very tame when I got them, so I decided to skip the process, and just introduced them straight away on my bed. They sniffed each other a little, and were perfectly fine, so I put them both in Splinters cage straight away. They never had any fights, I think just because Splinter had such a calm personality. The only thing I noticed was that Luke and Shredder would normally be laying together, and Splinter would be laying alone somewhere else. Sometimes I did find him laying in the hammock with them though.

When I found him dead today, he was laying on the bottom of the cage. He would always either sleep in the hammock, the tube, or on one of the shelves, so it makes me wonder what he was doing when he died. I'm guessing he probably went down there to go bathroom, and didn't have the strength to climb back up.

One of the girls I live with has a pet rat, I say it's hers but we all look after him, just when we go home for Christmas/Summer she takes him with her. He's called Ivanhoe (the Terrible.) We've had him a couple of years now. We took him off the hands of some kid that was moving into a new place and couldn't have pets and was hypothesising on the best way to kill it. We weren't about to let that happen so we become the proud owners of a pet rat. He's got a brilliant temprement. We have a lot of people over to the house and everyone always loves him, even those that don't normally like rodents.

Sorry to hear about the passing of Splinter.