TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Richard

Weekly World News Shutting Down

Weekly World News Shutting Down

By Ian Randal Strock July 21, 2007

While it isn't strictly a genre publication, and it does bill itself as "The World's Only Reliable Newspaper," the editor has decided that this announcement does fall within SFScope's purview:

American Media has decided to suspend publication of Weekly World News, both the print publication and the web site. No reason was given at press time, although reliable sources do tell us that management turned down at least one offer to buy the publication.

The weekly supermarket tabloid—known as the home of "Bat Boy" and other less-than-probable stories—has long had staffing connections with the science fiction, fantasy, and horror fields.

batboygo4.gif

R.I.P.

Guest Vitamin X

This is awful! Absolutely terrible!

The last headline I remember seeing was, "World's Fattest Cat Gets Buff". Let's all share our memories and good times of Weekly World News. *sniff* :(

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm seriously sitting here with my mouth agape, heartbroken. I fucking love The Weekly World News. Working there was one of my dream careers. If I were rich as fuck like some tycoon sports team owner or Bill Gates, I'd totally buy the company. They just put blatantly libelous seedy bullshit right there at the eye level of a child learning to read. Add that with awesome pictures, some half naked broad, a bigass crossword, comics. Fuck. This is seriously shitty news.

I thought I was alone in wanting to work there. There or MAD magazine would be the ultimate journalism gigs. MAD's sold out, and now this. Actually Cracked would have been even dumber than working at MAD, and they don't really exist anymore. This is... this is a black day for my writing career.

I think Mike Nelson wrote an article for the Cracked website a while back. It was pretty depressing.

WWN was the best part about waiting in line at the grocery store, so now I'l have nothing to look at while waiting. A shame really.

Guest The Minor Threat

I've never bought an issue, but it definitely made the supermarket line bearable.

There is going to be a final issue on August 3rd. I think we should all buy a copy, and let the publishers know that we don't want to lose it!