TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
edgehead69

What was your first Exposure to Wrestling

Interestingly enough, I read last night about the Quebecers on Wikipedia and it says that Men on a Mission weren't supposed to win the belts from the Quebecers on the UK tour. What happened was that Mabel accidentally pinned Pierre because Pierre got stunned when Mabel fell on him. That kinda cleared up why that small title change occurred to me since it always appeared weird that the WWF would have MoM win the belts off TV.

Are you totally sure about that? I thought that was just another Keith-ism that has been accepted in the IWC. But, I honestly can't remember one way or the other. Anyone have insight?

I'm pretty sure I actually heard the "accidental win" version of the story long before I had heard of Scott Keith. I either heard it from former Detroit News writer / free hotline reporter and convicted pedophile ML Curly or from the Cody Boines wrestling wrap hotline on the local "talking yellow pages". Now THAT's nostalgia.

My first wrestling exposure was watching Georgia Championship Wrestling at a friend's house in 1979 when I was 5. His older brother was watching and apparently it was the only thing that kept me and my friend quiet. I believe that one of the first wrestlers I saw on the show was then NWA World champ Harley Race. I then started to get into Mid-Atlantic also when my family got cable.

A couple years later I got to see my first live show in Richmond, Virginia. The double main event was Rick Steamboat vs. Jerry Brisco and the Iron Sheik vs. Ivan Koloff in a Russian Chain match.

saw an awa house show summer of either 83 or 84. me and dad would go see his uncle in Minnesota every summer to go fishing and a wrestling became part of the trip

thanks to a couple phone calls and the internet I was able to figure out a couple shows I attended and the results:

6/26/83 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel beat Wahoo McDaniel

Ken Patera & Jerry Blackwell beat Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell to win AWA Tag Title

Baron Von Raschke no contest Blackjack Lanza

Bobby Heenan beat Kenny Jay

Buck Zumhofe beat Mr. Saito dq

Brad Rheingans drew Rick Martel

att: 14,000

6/10/84 St. Paul, MN @ Civic Center

Jerry Blackwell eliminated King Kong Brody to win battle royal

Abdullah The Butcher & Jerry Blackwell beat Baron Von Raschke & Blackjack Lanza

King Kong Brody beat Steve O

The Crusher no contest Nick Bockwinkel

Fabulous Ones beat Roger Kirby & Chris Markoff

Dusty Rhodes beat Larry Zbyszko

Curt Hennig beat Steve Regal

att: 8,000

Note: This was Blackwell's babyface turn.