TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Youth In Revolt!~

Guest Vitamin X

Oh man. I heard rumors that they were adapting CD Payne's Youth In Revolt for the big screen, but now it looks like it's for real.. and with the guy who looks like he's absolutely perfect for the Nick Twisp role. News from AICN (link: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33676 ) :

Michael Cera is a YOUTH IN REVOLT!!!

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. It's been 3 months since I've seen SUPERBAD and I'm so psyched it's finally coming out. I can't wait to see it again.

Michael Cera is great. If you've been keeping up with his Clark & Michael web series, you'll know he's really on the top of his game.

Dimension has optioned CD Payne's YOUTH IN REVOLT about a teenager named Nick Twisp. He's oversexed, a hormonal nightmare, but ends up finding the girl of his dreams on a family vacation. Gustin Nash (CHARLIE BARTLETT) adapts. No director is attached yet.

I'm not familiar with these books, but they sound just fucked up enough to be right up my alley. And I'm down for anything that Cera does. It's going to be a helluva year for him... He's got SUPERBAD this weekend, he's doing YEAR ONE with Apatow/Ramis, co-starring alongside Jack Black, he's co-starring in Jason Reitman's JUNO and now he has this. I'm glad he's finally getting the kind of work his talent deserves.

If you haven't read the book, or it's followup, check them out. They're very well written, and hilarious. I think it's funny that this book, which was a completely random pickup for me one day in a Santa Monica bookstore, has turned into not only one of my favorite books, but is coming out in theatres as well. This is going to be great. Anyone else read the book? I know Czech has.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

>>---Edwin MacPhisto to thread--->

I'm excited for a film adaptation of Youth in Revolt, but I'll have a tough time getting used to Michael Cera as Nick Twisp, just because that wasn't how I pictured him at all. I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Haha. Terrifyingly accurate prediction.

I probably wouldn't have been interested in the movie--I think I mentioned in the Book Recommendations thread that I've forgotten most of Youth in Revolt despite enjoying it in 9th grade--but a healthy injection of George Michael improves things quite a bit. I think he'll make the rather thinly written Nick Twisp a lot more appealing and sympathetic for people who aren't 14.

Guest Vitamin X

apparently some more info has come out for the film, with its own IMDB page. It's scheduled for release around December this year, with the director (having worked on The Office and Six Feet Under) making his debut, and the writer from Charlie Bartlett. Crazy that no one else has yet been cast aside from Cera. I think it's about the perfect time for the movie to be made.

Guest Vitamin X

Bump for an update (from Variety magazine):

Steve Buscemi, Ray Liotta, Jean Smart and M. Emmet Walsh have joined Michael Cera in "Youth in Revolt," the Miguel Arteta-directed comedy for Dimension Films.

Pic is based on the C.D. Payne novel, which was adapted by Gustin Nash, Arteta and Cera. David Permut is producing, and Steve Longi is co-producing with Miranda Freiberg.

"Youth in Revolt" is one of TWC's priority titles at Cannes, where the company is selling overseas territories on that film, "Piranha 3-D," "All Good Things" and "Shanghai."

Cera plays teenager Nick Twisp, who meets the girl of his dreams on a family vacation and destroys the trip trying to be with her.

Buscemi, who plays the teen's father, most recently directed and starred in "Interview" and is recording a lead voice in Disney's "G-Force." He just finished shooting the Florian Gallenberger-directed "John Rabe."

Cera's got the lovable teen loser thing going on this summer not just with this one, but the other movie he's making this year where. in order to win a girl's heart, he has to battle and defeat her seven evil ex-boyfriends. I think this one has a lot more potential, though.

wikipedia lumps this book in with the oeuvre of Christopher Moore, successfully snuffing any interest I may have had in picking it up after Czech had spoken so fondly of it.

Why you hatin' on Moore? I've only read two of his books, but I quite enjoyed them and have been meaning to read some more eventually.

When's the last time Michael Cera was in something bad? And I'm not counting "well he showed up once on Tim & Eric's Awesome Show" or "some people didn't like Juno or Superbad". Either he or his agent have gotta be psychic, since they seem to chose to participate only in projects which turn out well, make him a cult hero to millions, and enhance his career overall.

Guest Vitamin X

MV5BMTY3MzY4NTQ5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjkyNTQ2MQ@@._V1._SX248_SY200_.jpg

Portia Doubleday cast as Sheeni Saunders. Good casting, I think. I don't care that she's not a brunette; although they could just dye her hair for the role.

The shame in all of this is that with the new Arrested Development movie confirmed, I fear that we're just going to be seeing too much Michael Cera for this movie to not totally bomb. Although C.D. Payne said he saw a screening of the movie and liked it (supposedly).