TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

Does the younger generation remember WCW?

One of the reasons that WCW was entertaining at the end was because they knew it was all or nothing. They had to go balls out since the sale was very close. It got very entertaining with a lot of the younger guys finally getting a shot.

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to Mike Sanders? He was great on the mic and getting better in the ring at that time.

Ticked off the wrong people, and now he's a stand-up comedian. I recall reading where he didn't go up and introduce himself to Triple H or something like that (It was when Triple H was injured), so he was subsequently buried. He was apparently being groomed for some good things.

Reminds me of a similar situation with Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire. They didn't introduce themselves to the Undertaker, and any hope of a push was immediately killed-off. I believe once of them was later quoted as saying something about being in awe of the Undertaker, and they didn't feel they were deserving of his attention, and didn't want to bug him. So, Old Man Calloway took it as rudeness on their part.

Interesting you brought that up...

I live in Birmingham, and in July of 2001... Smackdown was taped in Birmingham. It was the first show after ECW joined in on the Invasion angle, which happened in Atlanta. Anyways, the whole roster was at both shows. Well, my friend had to go to the airport the day after the Smackdown taping. He told me he saw this huge guy waiting for a plane, and he immediately recognized him as the Undertaker. He then said he saw Palumbo go up and talk to him, and if I remember correctly, Palumbo basically told Taker that he didn't have a chance to say hello the night before for what ever reason.

UT: "Hey, I understand, son...don't sweat it"

later on

UT: "Hey Vince, I have an idea for that Palumbo guy...bleach his hair and put him in a gay tag team with that Cowboy guy that's always bitter."

Guest RyanRider

They make WCW look like it was an inferior product, but in reality that's not the case. I think the current era of WWE can't touch any era of WCW.

This might be a curious statement but I think my favorite era of WCW was a period that isn't all that well thought of, namely the 1992-94 period. Once Hogan and Co. came in and ran roughshod it mostly seemed like 1980s WWF all over, whereas before it at least SEEMED like WCW.

I was never a fan of the WCW main event scene. I used to watch WCW on occassion to watch guys like Jericho, Benoit, Rey, and Melenko. I always found that RAW was a better show to watch, but if I wanted to see some good, sound, technical wrestling, I watched Nitro.

It bothers me that nobody is going to remember NWA/WCW from 1985 to Bash at the Beach 94. Those 9 years are my favorite time period from any promotion. Mostly because of Flair in the main event, but the promotion tried to keep guys that could wrestle in the main event. They didn't have formula matches in the main, they were doing different things. Even when they weren't able to have guys that could wrestle in the main (Ron Simmons and Sid, mostly), the rest of the card clicked. They were even able to get good matches out of Luger at the time.

The years afterward, no. That's not worth remembering, for the most part. The NWO and Flock angles are of course worth remembering, and so was Goldberg's streak. But unless you're talking about the midcard, which was always great, not much is worth being remembered after 1994.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. I enjoyed the late 80s through about 94, then I started to enjoy it from 96 until about early 99. But on the flip side I was never a huge WWF fan during the wars, although I kept up with what was going on.

While Sid was never particularly good I think Ron Simmons was a very good worker during his Doom days with Butch Reed and also his early 90s singles run. His stuff with Luger was surprisingly good and I also quite like his title win over Vader.

Ron Simmons was pretty good for about 5 years I'd say. Once he left WCW he just started going through the motions from what I've seen.