TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Really crazy, screwed up musicians.

I'm going to see GG's last band, the Murder Junkies, tonight. GG's brother Merle plays bass, and he's one of those guys who is shockingly down to Earth and normal, yet does a shit ton of weird stuff. He's one of my myspace friends, and one of the best bulletins I ever got was him saying "Send me your bloodiest, most disgusting tampons. I need them for a project I'm working on. Whoever sends the filthiest, worst tampon gets to be in my top friends!" No words on what the project was. Just Merle needs disgusting tampons. But the real loon in that band is the drummer, Dino. He plays nude, for one thing. But seriously, GG was very volatile and hostile, but compared to Dino, totally had a tight grip on reality.

To quote part of Hated... "Dino, the naked drummer? Dino believes he is immortal. He believes he is free of all law. He believes he is telepathically connected to the Lunachicks, and he believes that they love him. Dino did time for exposing himself to a little girl. Dino exposed his schwing to a nine year old girl, did time for it, and then later, when asked about it, said 'Oh, I was just teasing her.'"

This was him when he was playing with GG:

l_2ea72434910f69e75704c75a0097a84f.jpg

(Aside: that looks like the awesomest place ever.)

This is him today:

1516450998_l.jpg

He's had that look for years now.

Caption it. Friend of mine who's going to the show with me riffed on this picture for like 45 minutes.

"He looks like Yosemite Sam."

"He's the Joker's abusive uncle."

"Birthplace: Axis Chemicals. Makeup by: Acme"

"He just jerked off a space alien."

"He went bobbing for apples in a tub of watercolors."

And so on.

He's actually a really good drummer. His signature is a 30 minute solo he calls The Lick. It's entertaining. For the entire 30 minutes. Also, he is a bike messenger when he's not drumming. Picture that guy coming up like "Here's your mail!" Totally makes sense.

l_9e88031d8241ccc42c3ceb72c524f34b.jpg

I own that dvd. Takes a special kind of person to read that synopsis and say "Yeah, I gotta see that!"

1516552919_l.jpg

With Merle Allin in 1994. I'm hangin' out with these guys tonight! I'm so excited!

I'm pleased to report that Dino is even crazier in real life than he seems on film.

I chatted with him a little. Talked about Jimi Hendrix. Once he stripped naked, they let him introduce the band members. Before he did that, he did this crazy high pitched shriek, like "UUUUUUUUURWHOOOO!" Ten times. Then he fondled his balls and introduced the lineup, referring to himself as "GG Allin". When the band was done, they left the stage, and Dino proceeded to stick his drumsticks up his ass, then took them out and went into The Lick. Most people just wandered away. Didn't stop him.

I wanted a picture with him, but realized that I should have asked before the show, because I didn't want to get too close to him while he was sweaty and naked. Seeing him live, though, the guy is really rad. I sort of love him too. He's so delicate. There's the tiniest window of society where a person like Dino can function and be happy, and he's living it.

PS, Merle Allin is the coolest guy ever.

Was Prince mentioned? Judging by the comments said about him during An Evening with Kevin Smith, he's so fucking "out there" crazy that only the select few can actually handle him.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

Malcolm Mooney of Can was schizophrenic, and had to quit the band on his psychiatrist's recommendation. I can see how repeated exposure to "You Doo Right" can jeopardize one's already tenuous grip on reality.

Charles Mingus was manic-depressive and prone to really losing his shit at concerts, like stopping the whole band so the audience would hear themselves making what Mingus deemed unacceptable background noise. One time, people were talking too much during a show, so he picked up his bass and just smashed the thing to bits. He must've just picked it up by the head and slammed it. We're talking an upright acoustic bass here. This incident was the genesis of all future guitar-smashings.

Charlie Parker was pretty out there too, but that was mostly the heroin.

I'm not sure how crazy and screwed up John Cale is, but I know he did have that phase where he'd don a goalie mask (before it was stylish to do so) and sever chickens' heads on stage. He also had a phase where he recorded Dylan Thomas poems with Welsh children's choirs. I found the latter more offensive, really.

Was Prince mentioned? Judging by the comments said about him during An Evening with Kevin Smith, he's so fucking "out there" crazy that only the select few can actually handle him.

Prince is a screwed up little puppy it must be said. If anyone wants to see how messed up he is, watch the scene from the aforementioed Evening with Kevin Smith

John Lennon, while not out there like others on this list, was pretty out there though alot of it is based on all the LSD, heroin and God knows whatelse he had.

Had a Jesus complex going on during the latter days of The Beatles, had a legendary Lost Weekend in LA during the 70s (rumor has he even jammed with Paul McCartney but it has not been substantiated)

Not to mention before the drugs he was a bit of a chip on the shoulder guy about everything.

Had a Jesus complex going on during the latter days of The Beatles, had a legendary Lost Weekend in LA during the 70s (rumor has he even jammed with Paul McCartney but it has not been substantiated)

He did jam with Paul McCartney. There's a bootleg of it and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. Henry Nillson and Stevie Wonder are jamming with them too on the bootleg. I haven't heard it but I hear that it's terrible.

Guest Soriano's Torn Quad

I don't know if Lennon was really crazy, he was just a smack-addled misogynistic shithead. Middle-of-the-road as far as this exercise is concerned, since I attribute most of his behavior to the drugs. I'll never think highly of John Lennon as a musician or a person, but that's a tangent.

Don't forget Gorgoroth frontman Gahhl, who not only attacked a guy, but also threatened to drink the guys blood.

I don't know if Lennon was really crazy, he was just a smack-addled misogynistic shithead. Middle-of-the-road as far as this exercise is concerned, since I attribute most of his behavior to the drugs. I'll never think highly of John Lennon as a musician or a person, but that's a tangent.

Hey, when did Albert Goldman join the board?

Seriously though a lot of people in this thread are confusing legitmately crazy with drug addicted shitheads. There's a difference, might not be overly apparent but it's there.

Has DMX been mentioned? He's done a lot of crazy shit and according to wikipedia (a very reliable source I know) , he has bipolar disorder!

So apparently Jon Nodtveidt is now dead. I didn't know that when I first mentioned him. Apparently after killing a guy, when he got out of prison, he shot himself in a circle of candles with a Satanic grimmoire open in front of him. Pretty out there. Dissection is a great band, perhaps because of this.

In addition, I have another one I should have mentioned: Seth Putnam of Anal Cunt, although he's more in the "giant asshole and drug addict" mold. But there's lots of good stories about him.

Like the one about him stagediving and the crowd totally parts like the Red Sea and he just falls on his face. He also got in a fight with Chris Barnes, although their stories about it are totally different. Still, that's good, because Chris Barnes sucks.

It's weird that I like Corpsegrinder way, way more, but I still think the the Corpse's best albums were with Chris Barnes.

There's also this gem from wikipedia:

In October 2004, Putnam had a seizure and fell into a coma for two months due to an overdose of crack cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and two months' worth of Ambien sleeping pills. He was unable to reveal this information at the time due to pending charges of drug use (which were later dropped). His doctors, thinking he was going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life, were actively considering removing him from life support before he awoke.

Hm, and apparently the GG Allin song "Anal Cunt" was named after the band and not the other way around. Interesting.

In addition, I have another one I should have mentioned: Seth Putnam of Anal Cunt, although he's more in the "giant asshole and drug addict" mold. But there's lots of good stories about him.

Like the one about him stagediving and the crowd totally parts like the Red Sea and he just falls on his face. He also got in a fight with Chris Barnes, although their stories about it are totally different. Still, that's good, because Chris Barnes sucks.

It's weird that I like Corpsegrinder way, way more, but I still think the the Corpse's best albums were with Chris Barnes.

In October 2004, Putnam had a seizure and fell into a coma for two months due to an overdose of crack cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and two months' worth of Ambien sleeping pills. He was unable to reveal this information at the time due to pending charges of drug use (which were later dropped). His doctors, thinking he was going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life, were actively considering removing him from life support before he awoke.

Hm, and apparently the GG Allin song "Anal Cunt" was named after the band and not the other way around. Interesting.

Funny thing is that Anal Cunt has a song called "You're in a coma". I guess Karma was a bitch for awhile.

I used to think that Anal Cunt was just a really lame, immature gimmick, because, I figured, these dudes are in their thirties, this shit just isn't that funny anymore. But once I found out that Putnam was a huge smackhead, it gave their music a new layer of subtext that makes it hilarious all over again.

Those are good. The story about Keith Richards changing out his blood to beat his heroin addiction is one my favorite rock stories. And the footage of Courtney Love throwing compacts at Madonna is also a favorite.

One of the funniest things about Courtney Love is a story I read in the Hot Letters section of Hustler (which is full of fucking out there, shit, by the way. Makes Penthouse Forum look like a Judy Blume novel) This was right after The People Vs. Larry Flynt came out, and it was supposedly a letter from a lesbian chick who paused the movie on one of her dramatic closeups and rode the tv. Yeah, just humped the television.

But the funny part was when she also talked about pausing the movie during the scene where her vag is out and says, and I quote, "Look at those, meaty, floppy elephant ears!" If I ever meet Courtney Love, that's what I'm going to tell her.

I actually kinda like her solo album, to tell you the truth. She was also in some good movies. And some bad ones.

Sure is. He was named after his brother who died as an infant, and his parents pretty much told him his whole life that he was his brother reincarnated. He speaks highly of his childhood, but that'd fuck somebody up. Hell, GG Allin always said his childhood was fine and his father named him Jesus Christ and dug graves for the family in the basement.

James used his brother's grave with his own name on it as the cover to the Boy/Girl EP:

200px-Boygirl.jpg

Guest Tzar Lysergic

That's on the inside cover of The Richard D James LP. I didn't know the whole story about his brother. I just figured he bought a cemetery plot and took a picture of it. Wild.