TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Really crazy, screwed up musicians.

So after getting told about Hasil Adkins recently, and also Richie James of the Manic Street Preachers, who I had heard of, but never knew there was a total psycho in the band, I discovered that there are crazy people I don't know about. I should be listening to them. So this thread is to talk about totally insane people who are also in music. I will eventually compile it into a Sgt. Pepper's style album cover.

So there's:

GG Allin

Roky Erickson

Hasil Adkins

I'd say pretty much all the classic lineup of Mayhem.

Jon Nodtveidt (Dissection... he killed a guy)

I guess we can say Jim Morrison and Nick Drake

Kurt Cobain, probably... you know, all the suicides.

Nah, let's get really crazy again...

Charlie Manson (his album is legitimately good. Try it.)

Scratch Perry

Joe Meek

Phil Spector

Robert Johnson

Who else?

Daniel Johnston. If you've never seen 'The Devil and Daniel Johnston', I recommend it. It's at once absolutely heartwarming/beautiful and incredibly awkward/cringworthy, much like most of Daniel Johnston's recordings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_%28rapper%29

Houston. One hit wonder R&B singer from a couple years back. Tried to committ suicide on tour in London while high on PCP. His entourage managed to restrain him and lock him in a room on the first floor, where he proceeded to gouge his left eye out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Gordon_%28musician%29

Jim Gordon- Former renowned session drummer and member of Derek and The Dominoes. Quit playing in the early 80s after being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and having a bad cocaine habit. Killed his mother in 1983 by bludgeoning her with a hammer.

He was in Mayhem. He was Count Grischnacht. After he killed Euronymous, Euronymous' mother went to Hellhammer, and said "Look, as a show of respect to our family, please mix out all of that guy's bass tracks." And Hellhammer said "Yes, I totally will." and completely didn't, not as a show of disrespect or whatever, he just had no idea how.

That's pretty awesome. Hellhammer also ate part of Dead's brain and made a necklace out of his skull fragments. METAL!

This thread rules, by the way.

I hadn't heard of half of the people being mentioned.

I'm aware of his alias, though I was not aware that he handled bass for a little bit in Mayhem. I thought that he only really did Burzum. On further inspection though, I'm seeing (in some places) that he's credited as a "session" bass player.

Live and learn.

Question Mark of 60s one hit wonders, ? and The Mysterians ("96 Tears"). He had his name changed to Question Mark and claims that he's a Martian that walked with the dinosaurs and that voices have told him he'd still be performing "96 Tears" in the year 10,000.

Although I'm not sure if he's really crazy or just an eccentric coot.

Yeah, I guess it's more the legend of Robert Johnson. Still, the bit about him foaming at the mouth and saying the devil was after him is good stuff.

He Who Cannot Be Named is a wife beating alcoholic. That sucks, but it's not really crazy. Still, all the Dwarves are at least a little crazy.

There's a fine line between crazy and drug addict, too. I mean, drugs'll make anybody crazy. Should I be mentioning James Brown? Or Rick James? Iggy Pop is good, though he's ok now. He was crazy and a drug addict.

I downloaded some of Manson's songs. I wouldn't call them good per se but it wasn't bad late 60s/early 70s folk stuff. Definitely better than the reviews I've read of it have indicated.

How about Chuck Berry? I'd say he's pretty nuts.

Yes! I can't believe I forgot him.

Also Keith Moon.

Now that Steve-O did a rap album, I can say him. I'm actually looking forward to listening to it. I think he has an interesting voice.

Also, some people seem to do a lot of weird shit, but are by all appearances quite sane. They just seem to like it. I guess they qualify as "screwed up". Here I think of El Duce. Although he did get drunk and get hit by a train. And was apparently approached to kill Kurt Cobain. Yeah, he was nuts.

There was a local band in Tampa called Hell On Earth and they'd do shit like put rats in a blender and fuck dead cows on stage. They couldn't really leave the state. That's why a lot of wrestling goes on in Florida, too. It's relatively easy to get away with crazy shit.

Yoko Ono's pretty far gone, too.

Mick Fleetwood. Apparently, he couldn't get by without doing Cocaine before every show. Plus he fucked Stevie Nicks who's crazy as it is in her coke state.

Mick Fleetwood. Apparently, he couldn't get by without doing Cocaine before every show. Plus he fucked Stevie Nicks who's crazy as it is in her coke state.

He hardly seems crazy just a big league cokehead. He apparently spent something like $7 million on coke in the twenty or so years he was using it.

Crazy is really subjective. Most people would probably consider Fleetwood Mac crazy but I think they were just a bunch of dysfunctional cokeheads. Pretty much like any 70s rock band.

The only member of Fleetwood Mac I would consider legit crazy is original frontman, Peter Green, who actually spent a few years in a mental hospital in the late 70s after threatening his accountant with a rifle.

I'd be remiss if we didn't mention 80s new waver, Adam Ant. About five or six years ago, he threatened a bunch of people in a pub with a fake gun.