TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Impact Spoilers

Why is Judas Mesias already feuding with everyone on the roster, especially Sting?

Canadian Destroyer, what is your avater from?

Why is Judas Mesias already feuding with everyone on the roster, especially Sting?

It's from the movie Hatchet starring Kane Hodder.

I dont consider one random Impact match Mesias "feuding" with Sting, per-se. But they're tying in the Abyss/Sting connection there, which is why that match is booked.

The spoilers dont sound that all bad, although I'm not nearly as excited about BFG as I should be.

Allow me to shed some light on my DDP theory in WCW. DDP won the world title on April 11, 1999 at Spring Stampede. The Nitro the previous week did a 4.3 and then a 4.4 the night after he won the belt. DDP lost the belt to Nash on May 9, 1999. Now, Nitro was preempted for the NBA on May 10 but the previous week's show on May 3 did a 3.4. That's right, they dropped a full ratings point in the month DDP had the title and Nitro's ratings never really recovered. And yes, WCW was doing other stupid shit on the show, but it was the way DDP won the title and the way he was presented as champ that hurt WCW. Allow me to explain:

1. DDP had zero heat by April, 1999. His run against the NWO, Hogan, and mini feud with Goldberg were all over. He had last been seen getting his ass kicked by Scott Steiner for the TV belt and did a stretcher job no less. Doesn't seem much like a guy being primed for a title run.

2. His return from injury was poorly handled. Instead of swearing vengeance on Steiner and the NWO, he just sorta comes back and does a bizarre heel turn that made no sense. And then he was tossed into the Spring Stampede 4 way for no real reason other than to have a 4th man (I assumed he was there to eat the pin).

3. His title reign sucked ass and WCW didn't believe in him. Just 2 weeks into his run he jobbed the title clean to Sting on Nitro and then won it back in a 4 way later by pinning Nash after spending the entire match protesting in the crowd. This was in fact the match where I completely gave up on WCW being a serious promotion.

4. DDP was similar to Ronnie Garvin in that he made for a good challenger but nobody seriously thought he should ever WIN the belt.

Anyway, I'm not saying DDP winning the title was nearly as bad as a lot of the other trash WCW did later in 1999. But his title run did start the bleeding, along with stuff like Flair being in the nuthouse.

Of the many things that helped bring about the downfall WCW, DDP getting the world title is way down on the list.

I really gotta go with cabbageboy here. I was a huge DDP mark from when I first got into WCW (fall '96) until this time. His first career title win was something a lot of WCW fans wanted to see -- in '98 I would have considered him the No. 2 face behind Goldberg. But that first title win, which should have been special, was botched pretty badly. I for one felt pretty slighted by the whole run -- winning the title only because of Savage's help, jobbing it to Sting and turning heel inexplicably, unceremoniously losing to Nash at the next PPV. None of it made sense, and it was a piss-off for DDP fans.

Haha, yeah I did like Flair meeting Hall in the nuthouse. Truth be told I think that angle is overrated in terms of it being some death knell on WCW. If anything Flair's crazed antics were one of the only amusing parts of WCW during that time period, even if it did wreck his drawing power.

WCW picked the worst time to start hotshotting the title. In 1999 the WWF was doing the hot potato thing with the world title, but WCW needed to have a stable title scene to stand out as different. A dominant Goldberg title win over Nash or Hogan would have fixed things, and I think that was really what most WCW wanted to see (as in Goldberg beats Nash up at Stampede, then goes after Hogan). They should have never turned Hogan face again in 1999, at least not until after Goldberg crushed him on PPV. Maybe after that Hogan could say he's learned his lesson and goes back to the red/yellow. DDP winning the title was just so bizarre and arbitrary...it didn't fit into any storyline that was going.

While I agree with all the sentiments above about DDP's title reign. Who is Booker T to talk about manufactured title reigns? Every single one of his title reigns felt forced except for his most recent on Smackdown. The only time I remember seriously wanting him to win the belt was against HHH, and that was just because of how much heat HHH had. I love Booker T, but I just remember not being to happy with his reigns as champion. Steiner wasn't a great champion by any means, but his run with the belt was much more believable to me.