TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/13 - 9/15

Eh, nothing big with Texas until 2010 when we start up a home and home with UCLA. 2008/9 is the home/home series with Arkansas and thru-out everything, we continue our yearly match up with Rice that can only be going on because it makes all of the Geriatric alumni happy and allows them to harken back to an older time.

I love that 'Bama beat Arkansas, but I definitely do not like blowing two 21 point leads during the game. I guess I would be a little bit more worried if this was against Vandy, but since it's against a fairly good Arkansas team with a Heisman candidate, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

New AP Poll - So much for the good feelings about this poll as Louisville is three spots ahead of Kentucky, although Coaches' was worse as they have them four spots ahead. First Harris Poll I believe comes out next week.

1. USC (46)

2. LSU (19)

3. Florida

4. Oklahoma

5. West Virginia

6. California

7. Texas

8. Ohio State

9. Wisconsin

10. Penn State

11. Rutgers

12. South Carolina

13. Oregon

14. Boston College

15. Clemson

16. Alabama

17. Virginia Tech

18. Louisville

19. Hawaii

20. Texas A&M

21. Kentucky

22. Georgia

23. South Florida

24. Nebraska

25. Missouri

Others Receiving Votes

Arkansas 179, Georgia Tech 128, Arizona State 69, Cincinnati 53, UCLA 41, Texas Tech 16, Air Force 8, Purdue 6, Appalachian State 5, Florida State 5, Washington 2, Tulsa 1, Kansas 1, Michigan State 1.

I don't think Louisville being ahead of Kentucky is necessarily unfair. It took a miracle TD with under a minute left for the Cats to win at home, and Louisville historically plays much, much, much better at home than they do on the road. If that was in Papa Johns, the Cards would have won by double digits. Anyway, here are my rankings this week:

(Previous week's rank in parenthesis)

1. USC 2-0 (2)

2. LSU 3-0 (1)

3. Oklahoma 3-0 (3)

4. Florida 3-0 (12)

5. Oregon 3-0 (7)

6. West Virginia 3-0 (9)

7. Ohio State 3-0 (16)

8. Texas 3-0 (4)

9. South Carolina 3-0 (11)

10. Boston College 3-0 (22)

11. Penn State 3-0 (14)

12. California 3-0 (13)

13. Rutgers 3-0 (15)

14. Alabama 3-0 (17)

15. Louisville 2-1 (8)

16. Wisconsin 3-0 (10)

17. Kentucky 3-0 (NR)

18. Cincinnatti 3-0 (NR)

19. Texas A&M 3-0 (19)

20. USF 3-0 (21)

21. Missouri 3-0 (25)

22. Clemson 3-0 (NR)

23. Georgia 2-1 (24)

24. Georgia Tech 2-1 (5)

25. Nebraska 2-1 (18)

Close: Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Air Force, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Miami, Tennessee

UVA has a regional 1-AA game (Richmond or William & Mary) each of the next 4 years. That's lame. I guess you've got to balance USC somehow, but I'd rather at least play someone from the MAC or C-USA.

Guest Vitamin X

With the way I-AA is playing these days, those could be two very competitive games as well.

Iggy,

Nebraska hangs around at #25 yet V-Tech is only in the "others getting votes" category?

Care to elaborate?

With the way Virginia is playing these days, those could be two very competitive games as well.

EFA

Exactly why the athletic department scheduled those schools instead of James Madison, I'm sure, since the Dukes are some 1-AA hard hittaz.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

I'd be happy if I never saw another EFA post here again, but I've been pushin' that for a year and a half and nobody's listening.

Virginia Tech has yet to play a good football game all season. They were only up by 3 in the 4th quarter against ECU, they got destroyed by LSU, and they were tied at the half against Ohio. Nebraska's not a lot better and I was thoroughly unimpressed with their performance against USC, but they did at least have one complete game against Nevada and had a legitimate (if somewhat unconvincing) win on the road at Wake.

Also, Nebraska looks like they at least have potential on both sides of the ball while Virginia Tech's offense is just miserable. The Hokies have the better defense, but I don't think it's enough to make up for their offensive incapabilities.

I'd be happy if all I saw where EFA posts on here, but I've been pushin' that for a year and a half and nobody's listening.

EFA

My Top 25 is better than iggy's

My Top 25 is better than iggy's

Care to explain why WVU and Florida are above LSU, Oklahoma, and USC?

Florida I can see because they smacked Tennessee around on national TV.

However, WVU hasn't shown me that their defense could even stop Notre Dame's anemic offense this year. If they face a team with the offense to keep up with them, I wouldn't be confident they could pull off a victory.

The top 4 should be USC, LSU, Florida and Oklahoma. They are pretty interchangable at this point though. LSU looked the most impressive but their "big" win was at home where they rarely lose at night. USC only had two games, one that they were obviously not really trying that hard (against Idaho) and one "big" win on the road against Nebraska who could very well be overrated to begin with anyways. Oklahoma's only win of note was against a declined Miami program at home. Florida ate up two jobbers and then beat Tennessee at home in impressive fashion, but once again, who knows how good Tennessee really is, since California also beat them. West Virginia is West Virginia and their conference and schedule won't really impress anyone, especially now that Louisville has shown themselves to be all offense/no defense and who knows how legit Rutgers and USF is, considering USF's big win was against Auburn who also lost to Mississippi State.