TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk 34

ROH Detroit-Chicago(PPV) Weekend

Not quite. Stable wars isn't a bad thing at all.

Stable wars between those that make sense is fine. No problem what-so-ever with the Aries/Strong/Evans storyline. I used the Nation/DOA/Boricuas example (which is basically what it is, GenNext being the original Nation splitting off into other groups) and that worked pretty well. And you can maybe exclude Sweeney's group from the equation. But, what, besides complicate the issue and detract from the actual stable war, do 'Project 161' and 'Hangman 3' do? They've got nothing to do with Evans, Strong or Aries. Putting them into that pretty much kills the whole point, the GenNext guys leading their own stables and seeing who's better. So, you don't put them in... what purpose to they serve? They're still yet more stables.

If there were a dozen stables when The Horsemen rose to prominition, would they have been as successful? Wasn't the nWo angle a million times better before nWo Wolfpac, nWo Black and White, lWo, The Flock, The Horsemen, The Dungeon Of Doom etc.?

Gabe is taking off from Dragon Gate and it has been quite a good succes over there.

But Dragon Gate, I'd class as Lucha or at least Lucha influenced. You need stables in lucha because of the amount of tag, trios and atomicos matches compared to singles matches. The culture is for stables. ROH isn't Lucha, it's not the culture so it's not accepted so easily.

Besides that, Dragon Gate is packed with guys who can put on fantastic multi-man matches. The GenNext stables can. Necro would be a sideshow in that (and I love Necro, don't get me wrong, but he'd stick out like a sore thumb). And BJ/Albright/Pearce? Fantastic matches?

BJ/Albright/Pearce have been teaming together for months now. The only difference is now they have a name. A name that sucks, but a name nonetheless. Project 161...that I don't understand. I'd rather see Jimmy get a singles push, but teaming him with Black (someone who I've heard good things about) and Necro (now where did THAT come from?) isn't the worse thing they could do.

I honestly don't mind seeing NRC vs. Resilience vs. Vultures vs. Hangman 3 vs. Project 161.

NRC is the dick-heels of the stables. Resilience is the face squad. Vultures are the high fliers. Hangman 3 are the big guys (all three are capable of good matches, especially with smaller opponents) and Project 161...well, thats Jimmy Jacobs leading Necro Butcher. It's all good.

161 is basically the violence squad since Necro speaks for himself and Jacobs has made a name for brawls and bloodbaths. Jimmy has easily been the best character in all of wrestling the past two years.

Also, the stables aren't linked together. Vulture/Resilience/NRC have their own thing going on. Sweeney's group is essentially Chris Hero with a couple flunkies. Age of the Fall is against Briscoes and ROH. Hangman 3 hasn't really established their purpose.

After discussion among ROH officials today we have decided to pull the footage of Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black, Necro Butcher and Lacey (collectively known as The Age Of The Fall) attacking The Briscoes from the third pay-per-view. This does not represent the product ROH wants to promote on television or the conduct expected from ROH's athletes.

When you purchase ROH PPV you can expect to see great, athletic wrestling and competitive matches of true skill. ROH "Driven" has several matches that exhibit those qualities. "Driven" will debut this Friday on TVN and the DISH Network. It will debut 9/28 on iN DEMAND.

Thank you for your support.

I really like this decision by Gabe since it propels the angle itself and provides incentive to also buy the DVD when that comes out.

A couple images.

rohppv2.jpg

rohppv3.jpg

Project 161...that I don't understand. I'd rather see Jimmy get a singles push, but teaming him with Black (someone who I've heard good things about) and Necro (now where did THAT come from?) isn't the worse thing they could do.

Black's a good young worker, I like him a lot personally. As far as Necro goes, I wouldn't really buy Jimmy and Tyler as huge threats so they needed a big guy backing them up. And I think Necro's worked with The Briscoes a fair few times in the FIP, plus he and Jimmy go way back. How they explain it on-screen will be interesting.

I dunno, I guess I'm just not into this whole stables thing personally. Maybe it's just me. The GenNext split got hurt by Aries' TNA involvement, Resiliance is just a really random threesome out of context, Project 161 started off as a ROH board angle which pretty much turned me off from day one, all of the names are really weak and as much as I like Pearce, BJ and Albright still don't do anything for me.

EDIT: Although, with Project 161/Age Of Fall or whatever it's called, they've got off to a strong start on-screen. The Briscoes are plain nuts, Jimmy's got a great creepy element to the character and Necro is Necro. You're guaranteed plenty of crazy brawls and angles. So long as they stick with that and stop with the internet garbage and the 'shoot' aspect that NOBODY buys, I'm sold on that.

Briscoes vs. Steen and Generico has been my only real point of interest in ROH for a while now. Haven't gotten into the GenNext split thing, Morishima's title reign hasn't interested me whatsoever. I'm hoping this Briscoes/AOF thing takes off.

Edited by King Cucaracha

Since it's been bumped I'll throw this out...people who aren't funny need to stop yelling shit at shows. Detroit was awful for that.

Japanese guy in ring...this is a loose description of the yelling.

"Hey Funaki! Funaki! You're Japanese so you're Funaki! Indeed! Indeed!"

Non-fucking-stop the entire match.

Black Dude

"Hey Shelton Benjamin! Hey where's your mom! Shelton! SHELTON!"

Did Jay and Mark set a record for most excessive usage of "Fuck you!" in a 30 second period? All in all, very good segment from AOTF. Jimmy Jacobs' path from 2004 as the lovable friendly high flyer to the emo warrior to this...sadistic mix of Raven and Pillman has been quite enjoyable.

Wow, I just watched the Video Wire and was impressed. Reading the recap I wasn't sure what I'd think. Jacobs isn't someone I think of as a group leader but he came off great. The losers in black at ringside should stop for the future, though. All the ones yelling sounded like pre-pubescent kids and a few looked less intimidating than that.

But anyway, I digress. Great video!

I'm about as fareweather fan of ROH as you can find - the last full show I saw was Joe/Kobashi and I've always heard the shows from then til now were exceedingly good, such as the CZW/ROH stuff, etc (caught a pretty good part of most ROH before Joe/Kobashi, which isnt saying that was bad either). But just couldnt keep up with the shows. With that said, I just watched that angle they did in Chicago and WOW - I think this might be a real turning point for them, thats a hot storyline that really peaks my interest, more than anything ROH has done, so I'm going to start keeping up with the product again.

Did the first ppv get released on DVD yet? I didnt even get to catch that yet, but want to see that and get the upcoming one, and then keep going from there with getting back into ROH.

Wow, I just watched the Video Wire and was impressed. Reading the recap I wasn't sure what I'd think. Jacobs isn't someone I think of as a group leader but he came off great. The losers in black at ringside should stop for the future, though. All the ones yelling sounded like pre-pubescent kids and a few looked less intimidating than that.

I'm pretty sure those guys in black at ringside fucking with the Briscoes were part of Project 161 and were part of the angle. Anyway, Lacey looked really good in her new goth-girl character and is Mark Briscoe missing some teeth?

I'm pretty sure those guys in black at ringside fucking with the Briscoes were part of Project 161 and were part of the angle. Anyway, Lacey looked really good in her new goth-girl character and is Mark Briscoe missing some teeth?

Oh yeah, I know the random dorks were part of the angle. Jacobs referring to them as his "army" and them yelling "AGE OF THE FALL!" randomly and retardedly (I don't care if it's not a word! :D) made that clear. I just hope that's not a recurring part of this stable.