Houston @ St. Louis, 8pm, ESPN

SATURDAY

Seattle @ LA Angels, 3:55, fox

Milwaukee @ Atlanta, 3:55, fox

NY Mets @ Florida, 3:55, fox

SUNDAY

Houston @ St. Louis, 8pm, ESPN

Guest Smues

Go Richmond Braves. I'll be at the Braves game on Saturday where some of those players are supposed to be there, so I better be meeting winners! And I'll be sad I won't be meeting Will Startup:(

Why the fuck are the Astros on national TV? Seriously...

Because they play the Cardinals. I think the Friday games are a pick-em deal for the network who will show the in-contention Brewers. Sunday was probably set a while back, and that's reasonable considering the Cards are defending world champions.

Besides, it beats watching yet another Yankees/Red Sox snoozefest.

Nice to see Milwaukee getting a little more national exposure. What will these be, their 3rd & 4th nationally televised games of the year?

Why the fuck are the Astros on national TV? Seriously...

Because they play the Cardinals. I think the Friday games are a pick-em deal for the network who will show the in-contention Brewers. Sunday was probably set a while back, and that's reasonable considering the Cards are defending world champions.

Besides, it beats watching yet another Yankees/Red Sox snoozefest.

Meh, I'm just bitter about the season.

Okay, here is exactly what I'm worried about, all year the Mets have struggled against pitchers who, well, aren't the cream of the crop. Well now with Philly 3 and a half back with 2 weeks to play, the Mets are set to face a steady diet of guys who are September call ups, or guys nowhere near the top 20 pitchers in baseball on the Marlins and Nationals.

This has 1964 Phillies written all over it.

The Magic Number Countdown

Boston - 9

Cleveland - 9

Anaheim - 6

Yankees (for the WC) - 11

Mets - 11

Cubs - 13

D'Backs - 12

Padres (for the WC) - 13

Looks like Anaheim should clinch sometime this week.

Edited by KingPK

How is the Cubs magic number 13 when there are only 12 games left? Do they have a make-up game I'm missing?

ETA: Nevermind, Brewers have 14 games left. Got it now.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Brewers have 14 games left and are 1 back, thus it takes 13 Cub wins and/or Brewer losses to clinch. So you'd better hope the Brewers lose 10 of the last 14, because the Cubs are only winning 3.

Czech, I don't want to hear the celebration if and when the Cubs win.

Phillies need some help from the Mets or Padres' opponents, but they have a good schedule coming up. Six games against the Nationals, four against the extremely struggling Cardinals.

JD Drew's OPS+ now stands at 100. He is a perfectly average hitter. Not the star the Sox thought they were getting. Not worth$14 million either, but he certainly isn't the blackhole that Boston fans think he is. Why they are trying to run this guy out of town, especially with all the personal issues he's gone through this year, is beyond me.

JD Drew's OPS+ now stands at 100. He is a perfectly average hitter. Not the star the Sox thought they were getting. Not worth$14 million either, but he certainly isn't the blackhole that Boston fans think he is. Why they are trying to run this guy out of town, especially with all the personal issues he's gone through this year, is beyond me.

Most right fielders are above average hitters. Of the 21 right fielders to qualify for a batting title, Drew ranks 18th in OPS, 20th in batting average and dead last in slugging percentage. Walks are an important trait, but at this point it is Drew's sole contribution to the Sox' offense.

I feel bad for Drew in a way, but he more than almost any player in baseball is responsible for the bed he made. Every move Drew has made in baseball has involved grabbing the money. That's well and good, but don't expect to cultivate a fanbase that way.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Wouldn't it be more tragic if you were in Massachusetts for two games on WMLW? However, I guess a Schroederless Brewers telecast is a bit of a treat.

Well, it's more the fact that I probably won't have much time to actually watch the games with the various events going on.

FWIW, I don't mind Schroeder. I think he's better than a lot of the color men ("analysts") out there.

Josh Anderson for NL ROTY!!!!

Yeah, but seriously, the Astros' rookie CF prospect has reached base 9 times in his last 9 ABs and has a nice average and OBP since he's been starting over the past week. Hopefully the new GM and Cecil Cooper taking over as manager will help the Astros get out of their 'Don't call a guy up till he's 29 years old, potential and stats be damned!' phase. Having Anderson in center, Pence in right, Burke at 2B, and Everett at SS will give the Astros good defense up the middle and a nice, solid core of speed to complement the sluggers. And it would be relatively thrifty instead of investing in Aaron Rowand or someone to play center.

Josh Anderson for NL ROTY!!!!

Yeah, but seriously, the Astros' rookie CF prospect has reached base 9 times in his last 9 ABs and has a nice average and OBP since he's been starting over the past week. Hopefully the new GM and Cecil Cooper taking over as manager will help the Astros get out of their 'Don't call a guy up till he's 29 years old, potential and stats be damned!' phase. Having Anderson in center, Pence in right, Burke at 2B, and Everett at SS will give the Astros good defense up the middle and a nice, solid core of speed to complement the sluggers. And it would be relatively thrifty instead of investing in Aaron Rowand or someone to play center.

Anderson doesn't even have good OBPs in the minors. He has no power or plate discipline, and given a full time job he's Juan Pierre lite. That's not a good thing.

Guest Smues
What the FUCK is Jose Mesa still doing in the Majors?

Seriously, what the FUCK?!

Giving fans that want the team he pitches on to lose hope. I was Jose Mesa's #1 fan in 2001.