TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball 9/16-9/23

Guest Smues

Besides yesterday's Braves game being awesome for the 2 out 9th inning tying homerun and walk off single in the 11th, there was another truely great moment at Turner Field. They have this "AT&T all-star of the game" contest every home game where they show 2 random fans doing kareoke on the big screen and the fans vote on who they liked better. Its often truely terrible, but yesterday the contestants were Tim Hudson & Willie Harris vs. Peter Moylan and Jeff Francoeur. Tim and Willie won 53% to 47% with their rendition of Lean On Me, which was hilariously bar, but I voted for Peter and Jeff doing that Summer Time song from Grease. I wish they'd post the videos of those on the website but they were both quite hilarious.

Real quickly on the Beckett/Sabathia debate. Beckett averages 6.51 runs per game of run support, compared to 5.10 for Sabathia. The big statistic is that Sabathia has pitched 40 more innings this season.

Yeah, but is that good for Sabathia, or good for Beckett?

Sabathia started four more games and still has fewer wins. Of course wins aren't everything, but with four more starts and forty more innings, Sabathia's other numbers should be considerably better in order to beat out Beckett. Frankly, they're not.

Carmona's also going to steal some attention away from Sabathia. A great problem for Cleveland to have, but in the end not good for individual award winners.

The ERAs are nearly equal. Sabathia has also walked fewer batters in that span. The innings are certainly good for Sabathia, as they mark contributions to the team. Those are innings where the team didn't need to use inferior pitchers.

As for Carmona, my experience is that players from the same team usually don't seem to effect the voting. Look at the 2000 N.L. MVP voting with Bonds and Kent.

It's been quite amusing to see the rush by posters here to disassociate themselves from their teams in the National League. Steve Rogers thinks his Mets suck, Czech hates his Cubs and Richard doesn't think the Padres deserve the playoffs. I like the Phillies' chances as much as anyone's, the only issue yet is that they are still fighting from behind.

Phillies/Nats at 12pm today. This is the swansong for RFK Stadium as a baseball park.

It's been quite amusing to see the rush by posters here to disassociate themselves from their teams in the National League. Steve Rogers thinks his Mets suck, Czech hates his Cubs and Richard doesn't think the Padres deserve the playoffs. I like the Phillies' chances as much as anyone's, the only issue yet is that they are still fighting from behind.

Phillies/Nats at 12pm today. This is the swansong for RFK Stadium as a baseball park.

Have you been watching the Mets bullpen all year? Have you seen Reyes since Randolph benched him in Houston? Have you seen Delgado, LoDuca, Green, whoever we put at 2nd stink all year at the plate? Have you seen a softer 25 game hitting streak than the one Moises Alou currently has?

Plus the Nats and Marlins will be pesky this week because of the "we play well against New York" factor that caused the Nats to "lay down" to your Phillies this weekend, not to mention Thursday Tony LaRussa will probably manage that game like it was Game 8 of the 2006 NLCS if the Mets haven't clinched yet.

There are plenty of reasons to be worried about this Met squad this week and IF they even get to October.

Real quickly on the Beckett/Sabathia debate. Beckett averages 6.51 runs per game of run support, compared to 5.10 for Sabathia. The big statistic is that Sabathia has pitched 40 more innings this season.

Yeah, but is that good for Sabathia, or good for Beckett?

Sabathia started four more games and still has fewer wins. Of course wins aren't everything, but with four more starts and forty more innings, Sabathia's other numbers should be considerably better in order to beat out Beckett. Frankly, they're not.

With a little more luck, Sabathia could be 24-5 right now. He's had six starts this season where he gave up two runs or fewer in 7+ innings and took a loss or no-decision, including four straight just last month. Beckett has only had three such starts. It's not his fault that he gets poorer run support than Beckett.

Have you been watching the Mets bullpen all year? Have you seen Reyes since Randolph benched him in Houston? Have you seen Delgado, LoDuca, Green, whoever we put at 2nd stink all year at the plate? Have you seen a softer 25 game hitting streak than the one Moises Alou currently has?

Plus the Nats and Marlins will be pesky this week because of the "we play well against New York" factor that caused the Nats to "lay down" to your Phillies this weekend, not to mention Thursday Tony LaRussa will probably manage that game like it was Game 8 of the 2006 NLCS if the Mets haven't clinched yet.

There are plenty of reasons to be worried about this Met squad this week and IF they even get to October.

As a Phillies fan, forgive me if I don't sympathize over your bullpen.

Not counting yesterday's game, Moises Alou's "soft" streak counts a .425 batting average and .658 slugging percentage.

Funny how the Nationals "laid down" against the Phillies by losing two of their three games by one run.

In order to miss the playoffs, the Mets not only have to cough up the lead to the Phillies, the Padres have to beat them as well.

Good thing the Braves dumped the farm to build this great team.

You've said this before.

And look, they came back and won the game too! So you're welcome.

Schuerholz didn't dump the entire farm team, he's always been smart about trading prospects and at the time he made moves that made the team better.

Heh, and Aaron Hill should be getting a check handed to him by The Boss.

He's now 7 for 12 in the series against the Yanks, man that guy is helping the Yanks out for sure!

3-2 Fish. Plenty of time to win this one, assuming the pen is able to keep it close.

Beltran hurt himself ending the 7th

Hey PujolJunkie the Mets in 1998 needed one win in the last 5 to at least force a playoff for the Wild Card. The next time they won again would be April of 1999.

Hey if Al can bring up past Phillie frustrations, I'm bringing up 1998, and Game 7 2006 NLCS.

4-2 Washington in the 8th

Indians beat the A's and become the first team to clinch their division. A's now officialy have their first losing season since 1998.

I now declare myself on the Indians' bandwagon as them winning the A.L. is the only acceptable result in that league.

Yet another Milwaukee bullpen collapse.

Not that it would matter if they could keep a lead anyway with the Pirates pulling their ankles to their ears.

Just a hunch, but if the Yanks win tomorrow I think they win the division. That puts them 1 game back with 6 to go, with easier opponents the last six games. All the Yanks neeed to due is tie, as they have the tiebreaker. If they lose tomorrow, 2 back with 6 games left, not as easy.

Guest Smues

Re: Cubs fans angry that the Braves didn't pull Hudson and Smoltz earlier

Hudson was clearly done and keeping him in was a mistake, Smoltz not so much. Smoltz made it through the 8th ok. Hell that tying homerun was in the 6th, was he supposed to be pulled before that? (Hint: the answer is no) And the reason for keeping both guys in there is simple, our bullpen sucks. A tired out Tim Hudson or John Smoltz is still usually better than a fresh Tyler Yates.

Congrats to the Angels and Indians (and the Sox) for clinching playoff spots. It's looking like the Cubs are probably going to take the Central. I'd hate to see my predictions from before the season; I think I was wrong in every division except a couple. I'm going out on a limb and predict a D'backs/Indians World Series. That would be somewhat new and refreshing.

But Sabathia has several more quality starts. Is it his fault his team scores fewer runs for him than Beckett's team does for him?

I left on my weekend trip right after making that post, so here's the late response

Since I really don't pay attention to what happens outside of two teams, save for occasional glances at the standings and stat boards, I can't see things like "quality starts"... alls I know is I went and compared Beckett and Sabathia's stats, and they have a close ERA and WHIP and proportionally close K's and BB's for their respective IPs, so with those all being close the only other that jumped out at me was that "more wins in less starts/IP" stat...

This isn't like 2002 where Barry Zito had 3 more wins than Pedro but Pedro blew him away in ERA, Ks and WHIP.